Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did you tell?

Options
  • 03-01-2009 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all... I'm a newbie, but have been surfing this forum for a while. We just found out that we are expecting on new year's eve morning :p no champers for me!! Anyway I was looking for posts about this topic but could not find any so maybe you could fill me in... how far gone were you before you started telling people?? I'm only about 5 weeks and have already (given the season etc) been lying and ducking and diving to get out of meeting people either in pubs or generally in case they think I'm acting strange! (Had an idea since xmas eve). We didn't think we would conceive so soon after trying and are still kinda shell shocked, but happy... also I'm slightly superstitious and worried about telling people too soon... so how soon is too soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I told my parents and work at 8 weeks, work because I was suffering severe morning sickness and was running out of excuses for being in the bathroom so much (I work in a call centre...)

My mom in turn told everyone that I was pregnant before the 12 week mark! We waited to tell his side of the family till 12 weeks...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I couldnt keep it a secret - I told his family and mine and work at week 4...I know that it seems quick but we were supposed to be going to his family for Christmas and I knew that I might be feeling off, work needed to know as I am a diabetic and had to go to the antenal clinic the week after. We are heading into week 8 now and I still worry about miscarriage but seeing our babies heart yesterday helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Due on july 19th with 1st and told parents yesterday. Will be 12 weeks tomorrow but had scan yesterday and everything seems to be ok. Have been trying for over 2 years so still keeping it to ourselves if possible but my mum is so excited and has a huge mouth. she reminds me of the scene in father ted when eoin mclove comes to the island :) Had to tell siblings today as she needed to talk to someone about it.
    Havnt told work eventhough sickness has been really bad. Have had a stomach complaint for years so using that excuse.
    If I was newly pregnant again I think I would do the same thing and not tell anyone. It was nice to have it to ourselves eventhough o/h would disagree. He wanted to shout it from the roof top. Think hes way more excited than me. I dont think it has hit me really yet eventhough i saw the heartbeat fingers head(which seems hugh)
    best of luck with the pregnancy sixx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Wow thanks guys for all the quick replies and congrats all around!!
    Speaking of scenes from Father Ted... my OH and I both had faces like Bishop Brennan when he was kicked up the a*se after we saw the results of the two tests on new years eve morn, I had a tiny suspicion but still couldn't get my head around it, we thought it'd take at least 6 months!!
    But work, I'm not looking forward to spreading the word in there, all male office and I'm not expecting much empathy!! Will have to mull that over re when to tell there.
    My Mam and Dad know and thats it... a good friend is expecting soon and I'm looking forward to telling her but I don't have a good family history with miscarraiges so hense the reservations re telling too soon, but then maybe things like that don't run in families?
    No morning sickness yet thank god, but I'm never sick, again I wonder do any of you think that the more likely you are to vomit normally the more likely you are to get morning sickness?? I've quite a strong stomach, can't even remember tha last time I hurled... now here's hoping I don't have to eat my words!!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have only got sick once but the nausea, tiredness and mood swings are quite debilitating (thus one of the reasons why I think it is better to tell)...best of luck. When I found out it was 9.30pm and the hubby just happened to be there at the same time - I shook for the rest of the night with the excitement and the hubby had to put me to bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I told my family the day I found out - 4 weeks!! I told the boss at 5 weeks because I'd been off for a week with a very bad chest infection and was afraid that it'd come back due to my inability to take steroids for it. We told his family at about 7 or 8 weeks, I think, and the general population after 12 weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Usual concencus is not to tell before 3 months, more for safety than anything else as i believe you could quite easily miscarry in the first three months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Thing is though... if I had a miscarriage I'd tell people anyway, it's part of the grieving process to me... so it seemed natural to tell people I was pregnant before 12 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Sixx wrote: »
    Wow thanks guys for all the quick replies and congrats all around!!
    Speaking of scenes from Father Ted... my OH and I both had faces like Bishop Brennan when he was kicked up the a*se after we saw the results of the two tests on new years eve morn, I had a tiny suspicion but still couldn't get my head around it, we thought it'd take at least 6 months!!
    But work, I'm not looking forward to spreading the word in there, all male office and I'm not expecting much empathy!! Will have to mull that over re when to tell there.
    My Mam and Dad know and thats it... a good friend is expecting soon and I'm looking forward to telling her but I don't have a good family history with miscarraiges so hense the reservations re telling too soon, but then maybe things like that don't run in families?
    No morning sickness yet thank god, but I'm never sick, again I wonder do any of you think that the more likely you are to vomit normally the more likely you are to get morning sickness?? I've quite a strong stomach, can't even remember tha last time I hurled... now here's hoping I don't have to eat my words!!! :D

I'm in the same boat re:work. The majority are male and complete piss takers. I'm the youngest of the group and therefore probably the least likely to have to make an announcement like this.
    Before Christmas they were ripping the piss out of my that I'd be coming back engaged (myself and the bf are together 7 years). I told them not a hope in hell. Then 2 days before xmas did a pregnancy test and bang.
    They're gonna destroy me!
    We're heading into week 8 too and I've told 3 close friends and he's told one. We haven't told any family or anything yet.

Advertisement