Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Does it?
    And there was me thinking that it couldn't possibly have any effect on the taste!! Silly me.

-NOT-SURE-IF-SERIOUS.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd imagine it was the distributors and not the Abbey.
    Not sure.

westvleteren-box.jpg

The abbey wouldn't have the facilities I'd say they just had an agreement, for marketing reasons or whatever, to allow the distributors to print a logo.

The abbey wouldn't have the facilities I'd say they just had an agreement, for marketing reasons or whatever, to allow the distributors to print a logo.
    Apparently the Abbey has a top of the range Brewing facility that normally only works at minimal capacity. It's possible that the bottling would have been done off site though, but I'm sure the abbey would've had a say in the printing of a logo.
    The logo wouldn't have made much of a difference in sales. It's too expensive for the average Joe to splash out on. I'd say it's only beer geeks that would buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Decided to treat myself. Bought in Molloys.

193034.JPG

Sipping a Meantime "Chocolate". Not bad, the name is bloody accurate, def a beer you could only have the one of on a rare occasion!

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Apparently the Abbey has a top of the range Brewing facility that normally only works at minimal capacity. It's possible that the bottling would have been done off site though, but I'm sure the abbey would've had a say in the printing of a logo.
    The logo wouldn't have made much of a difference in sales. It's too expensive for the average Joe to splash out on. I'd say it's only beer geeks that would buy it.

The abbey don't print. But it's possible, due to an agreement with the distributors, they agreed to have the gift pack bottled branded. I'd imagine they weren't too happy about it though.

Ah bollocks I'm going to give in and order 6 from drink store tonight. Anyone in Galway wanna go halvsies???

27 each... We'd both get 3 bottles and a glass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I picked up my box of Westy last night from drinkstore. Dont intend on drinking it for a few years. Probably drink a bottle every odd year.

For anyone concerned about the price of these, look on ebay to see how much these are shifting for! Crazy prices. Sell it on ebay or drink it, win win :)

slayerking wrote: »
    I picked up my box of Westy last night from drinkstore. Dont intend on drinking it for a few years. Probably drink a bottle every odd year.

For anyone concerned about the price of these, look on ebay to see how much these are shifting for! Crazy prices. Sell it on ebay or drink it, win win :)

Yeah I get that, but, still... I'm thinking if buying 6, drinking one and aging the rest in a friends wine cellar..

slayerking wrote: »
    That was my plan too. I was thinking about making it my Christmas treat for the next 5 years. Obviously I had to try a bottle first of course! :D

Interesting enough, the bottle cap has a best before date of 16.11.14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

Strong dark red real ale 5.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm having a Brooklyn sorachi ace. It's very nice. A nice taste of orange or grapefruit coming through.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

But how do they actually rate compared to the more available Trappists? What makes this bette than, say 5 latrappe quadruple?

But how do they actually rate compared to the more available Trappists? What makes this bette than, say 5 latrappe quadruple?

You're def paying more just because the extremely rare availability, but the 12 is, generally, considered the best beer in the world for a damned good reason. I'd d say the 12 at €8 is a better deal than say Nogne O anything at €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

To be honest, I think I'd put Rochefort 10 nd St Bernardus 12 ahead of Westvleteren 12. I'd probably need to confirm this with a blind tasting, that would be fun!!
    Can't remember the last time I had La Trappe Quad, time to purchase a bottle soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

came across this in Maguire's Athlone, couldnt believe my luck initially but they wont sell me a single bottle, they will only sell the pack complete.

ipod0220121925.jpg

my friend wrote: »
    came across this in Maguire's Athlone, couldnt believe my luck initially but they wont sell me a single bottle, they will only sell the pack complete.

ipod0220121925.jpg

How much is Barry asking for the pack? He's a good lad, I'd say he's just not being a dick and selling it for €15 per bottle which he easily could.

my friend wrote: »

ipod0220121925.jpg

How much is Barry asking for the pack? He's a good lad, I'd say he's just not being a dick and selling it for €15 per bottle which he easily could.

They were calling it the brick, 6 bottles 2 glasses and you keep the glasses for €60

Will have to round up some pals and attack it

Yeah, fair play to him. He's only adding a a tenner to the price he paid! Good man. I'll be in Athlone sat/sun, be glad to join ya!!!

Yeah, fair play to him. He's only adding a a tenner to the price he paid! Good man. I'll be in Athlone sat/sun, be glad to join ya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You're def paying more just because the extremely rare availability, but the 12 is, generally, considered the best beer in the world for a damned good reason. I'd d say the 12 at €8 is a better deal than say Nogne O anything at €6.

Well I ain't all that mad on nogne o so I guess the money i save not drinking them I can use to buy the westveltern

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

I think comparing them to nogne o is pretty pointless, bigger bottles and different styles. Personally I don't think a westvleteren 12 is worth 2 rochefort 10 but I have tried them before and my first one I paid €10 for in Brussels because I was dying to try it!
    This is a once off deal from them (unless the builders run over budget!) and that is what you're paying for.
    It is a lovely beer but I've bought great bottles of whiskey for less than €24/ litre!
    I much prefered the westvleteren blonde anyway and I dont like the fact that they labelled the bottles for the first time ever.
    Having said that though I'm going to split a brick just for the glass!

Also in response to a previous comment I believe achel is the Trappist brewery that produces the least beer every year

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Can you get me 5 la trappe quadruples for €8??!!

Ronan cork wrote: »

Can you get me 5 la trappe quadruples for €8??!!

You can get 5, possibly 6, la trappe plus two glasses for 50 though. Drinkstore are selling la trappe for €7 each for 750ml so even on a bottle to bottle comparison, if you insist on doing it that way, you can get a larger la trappe quadrupel bottle for the price of a smaller westvleteren 12

thanks for the offer, I am only in Athlone during the week :(

I've decided to buy two bricks. One for me and one which I am using to trade with a friend in the states. So far I'm getting 1 Pliny The Elder, an Alaskan Smoked Porter and a bottle of the 2011 batch of The Abyss in exchange for one Westy, a Leann Follain and a bottle of hooker. Color me happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

February's "Clonakilty World Beer Club" tasting is happening tonight, all i know at the moment is that there's going to be a few Trappist beers on offer....

Roll on 8 o clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Admiral ale from St Austell - Pours a lovely dark amber colour.
    Smells quite sweet Maybe an apple juice smell but still nice.

Lovely malt taste and nice citrusy bite with a hop hit at the end.
    Really like this beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've decided to buy two bricks. One for me and one which I am using to trade with a friend in the states. So far I'm getting 1 Pliny The Elder, an Alaskan Smoked Porter and a bottle of the 2011 batch of The Abyss in exchange for one Westy, a Leann Follain and a bottle of hooker. Color me happy!

I would live to try Pliny the elder. I've heard it's really good.

• Advertisement

KJ wrote: »
    I would live to try Pliny the elder. I've heard it's really good.

yeah, I've wanted to try it for a while, he told me he can get it tomorrow with a freshness stamp from last thursday, so if I got it in 2 weeks it would still only be 3 weeks old, which is perfect. They (the brewers) recommend consumption within two months!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement