Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC iPlayer

• 03-01-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Trying to get content from this site

BBC iPlayer

The site only allows UK users access. Is there anyway around this problem?

HELPPAGE
    "" Can I download programmes from outside the UK?

The BBC uses Geo-IP technology to identify where your are based on the location of your internet service provider (ISP). This ensures that only internet users in the UK can enjoy programmes on BBC iPlayer."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Basically BBC are only supplying the service at present to people who are likkely to hold a UK TV license (as such live in the UK), if you don't have a UK IP then your out of luck.

I know when NTL used to have UK IP#s it would have worked but this has since changed,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

the Radio stations work here. They seem to be Realplayer repackaged. I use my phone via WiFi to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I saw it advertised and decided to test it (I am in the UK) and its really good. Enjoying it enormously.

Just thought you'd like to know :p

(p.s. no buffering either on my 20Mb NTL)

Oh and the volume goes up to 11 (yay programmer Spinal tap fan)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd imagine some kind of VPN tunnel or proxy with a UK IP should work just fine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Just watching the extra's crimbo special in work at the mo (dublin 2).

Really good service, hope I can get this at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Just watching the extra's crimbo special in work at the mo (dublin 2).

Really good service, hope I can get this at home!

How do you do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

woot got it to work and its so simple.

if you are on utv broadband just use the nothern ireland proxy server settings and its works.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

irishgeo

I am with UTV. Can you tell me those proxy settings and do I just input these into Firefox?

Thanks in advance for help.
    Max

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bryanL33

The UTV Internet Proxy Servers are...
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80

After setting this I could use the BBC iplayer and view TV programs on ITV.com

How to configure Internet Explorer to use a proxy server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Thanks a lot. Works great.

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Does this proxy still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Seems to work fine.

However, be aware that, as a side-effect, Google will now give you the NI/UK version, so your search results will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Doesn't work for me on IE or FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Praetorian wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me on IE or FF.

It should work - IF UTV is your ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yea, thats the reason. Had a blonde moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Any advice for how a Smart user could get this working? What proxy settings would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't work for Smart users.
    The UTV proxy is only availabe to people connected via UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Works for me but the speed is a bit slower when using ni proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

Cheers BryanL33 - brill!
    BBC iPlayer now working on my Mac with Safari. Had it working a couple of weeks ago after scouring the net for some socks 5 proxy but it only seemed to be temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I am with UTV Internet. I entered the ni-cache info and can access the BBC content here in Kildare. While troubleshooting a Netopia modem at a friends house (they have Eircom broadband) I connected my own Netopia router with the UTV settings to their line and was connected straight away! Does this mean I can carry around a spare Netopia router with my settings (I have two of them) and watch, or demonstrate, the BBC iPlayer in any home that has broadband in Ireland (since they are all ultimately derived from Eircom)? Or is it just Eircom who do not authenticate their users? And anyone know how my web pages were routed onto UTV's network from an Eircom line?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly less short answer: You can use any bitstream DSL account (eircom, bt (non-llu), utv, digiweb, etc) on any bitstream DSL line. It's just a matter of having an account with one of the ISPs so you can authenticate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

[stupid question] If I'm with BT can I use their NI proxy to the same effect ? Would it have to be llu or any bitstream product ?[/stoopid question]

ZEN :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The ni-cache proxy for UTV is not working for me anymore. Anyone else?

Skyuser wrote: »
    The ni-cache proxy for UTV is not working for me anymore. Anyone else?

its dead in the water for some time now, shame :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, a massive loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah crap - just got around to trying it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

My exchange is being enabled next year and NICACHE would be handy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

Yes you can do it from any ISP, just follow these instructions: http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

Essentially, it involves using a Firefox add-on "FoxyProxy" to reroute the traffic through a UK proxy - all the details are there - it works fine - watched the full Welsh V France rugby game the other night because I missed in on Friday. Only two or three pauses in the whole transmission (on a 3Mb DSl line) and it was in high def - you could see the pores on Chaval's face (oh the horror!)

Edit: I will accept applause & thank yous in a brown paper bag please - just PM me for the drop off point! Oh, did I forget to say I was an FF'er and am still on the make - ask any of my buddies - the developers or the bankers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I have been watching the BBC services with their iPlayer for ages without a proxy in Firefox. I am with UTV Internet. Does anyone else know if it is only UTV Internet that allow access to the iPlayer content here in the South?

Advertisement