Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blessington reservoir map-possible to get one?

• 07-11-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

anyone can direct me to place when I can get a depth map and dangerous spots list for blessington? I want to buy a boat permit for it this year but everyone says about those churches right beneath surface etc...
    + rough map of it would spare me going over big shallows etc.
    I already asked for pre flooded map in ordinance survey, tried to find it online, asked number of institutions making depth maps and ESB itself. no one could even directed me to where to ask for it.
    I'm mostly interested in list of dangerous spots (if there are any).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

In general the lake is very safe with no hazards to navigation once you are out from the shore.
    That is until this year when the levels were about 2.5m lower than normal.
    We did see an Island appear out in the middle of the lake for a couple of months which was a high point on Killough Bog before the valley was flooded.
    Levels are back to normal now so no worries.
    Also very important point - there never was a church on the valley.
    Some shore lines are rocky so you must take care when in close.
    We rent boats on Blessington lake so have good knowledge of this water.
    You are welcome to call out some time and I can point out the different shorelines.
    Take a look at our website: http://www.blessingtonlakeboathire.com/
    We have a general fishing map on the site but in the links section go to "Beneath The Lake" and click on the interactive map.
    This will show you the old map with the deep river sections and some great photos of before and after flooding.
    We do give out a modern version of this map to hirers but it is fairly basic.
    As I say your welcome to call out anytime - it really is a fantastic lake.
    Connel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

tried gettin 1 for years myself marcin but to no avail, never fish blesso without a depth finder,alarm set to 3ft. it CAN be dangerous.
    - when you come out of russborough bay around point, there is a submerged island inline with russ point and burgage bridge
    -the point past burgage castle toward blesso bridge is shallow out 100m
    -the mouth of the liffey past mays bay is littered with washed down trees
    -the point after the sail club around to vmt bridge has large submerged boulders out to 200m
    -lackan,ballyknockan, vmt has alot of submerged boulders along shoreline
    -if coming to vmt bridge from sailclub there is a large sandspit on nearside of bridge coming out to midway of bridge, stay to right
    -smiths bay has 2 large sandbanks
    -300m out from smiths bay is a submerged tree island
    - along the shore from smiths to inlet, littered with submerged tree stumps
    -pass inlet bay on opp bank has submerged tree stumps
    all of these are a danger if standing lure fishing adrift, if hit can throw you into icy water.
    if trolling, can damage your prop leaving you to row all the way back to russborough. LIFEJACKET ALWAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

connel42 wrote: »
    In general the lake is very safe with no hazards to navigation once you are out from the shore.

number of people (anglers) advised me to go there with guide only as water is quite dangerous. couple of them mentioned church (churches?) roof being close to surface. I will certainly have a look at page thank you.
    @ delsalmon thank you.

I don't know the area will have to look at the maps (so far i fished near 3 bridges almost without luck).
    at 2nd one (one next to ind. est) look pretty deep on one side and shallow on other ( i waded good bit into the water on kind of isle once).
    and next to 3rd one (furthest from village) i walked hundreds of meters of shore (both on low water level).

I'm always wearing LJ, using fishfinder with gps and mostly sitting while fishing with at least 1 companion and using drogue/anchor in windy conditions (so very unlikely that i would let boat drift any quicker than around 2-5km/h - as i'm mostly do spinning for perch and pike I'm finding it impossible to properly feel bottom especially with perch jigs at higher speeds).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

That Beneath the Lake bit is excellent

21/25

uch wrote: »
    That Beneath the Lake bit is excellent

yes it is. but i could use some higher res ;)

Thank you all for tips.

• Advertisement

Finally got my boat permit so will give it a go this weekend so:
    tried gettin 1 for years myself marcin but to no avail,

depending on results over weekend (i'll try to catch some perch or at least spot them around russeltown or blessington bridge). i may try to make one (have gps ff combo with memory card slot, can't affort dr. depth at the moment but there are some free software which i haven't try just yet).
    ever tried perch fishing there? on ennell at the moment we spoted huge swarns of fish can i expect same?
    - when you come out of russborough bay around point, there is a submerged island inline with russ point and burgage bridge

is this the one very close to the shore? on the left hand side facing bridge? (you can walk over it in low level)?
    it is around 100m from "standard" shore line?

-the point past burgage castle toward blesso bridge is shallow out 100m

is this around little "tip" of sand near end of carpark located at burrgage bridge? is it soft or hard?
    -the mouth of the liffey past mays bay is littered with washed down trees
    i gues it will be close to the dam - what sort of depth could i expect there? Depending on my last weekend on ennell i would try to spot rather deep parts (around 60 feet) is blessington that deep?
    I know few deep places (you can not make more that 2 steps out in the water) but i don't know actual depth.

-the point after the sail club around to vmt bridge has large submerged boulders out to 200m

there are 2 parkings next to the bridge.
    i noticed bridge is prety shallow (i could walk nearly half way through once). + i noticed some rumble on the left hand side of parking which is further from sport ground on low level i walked hundreds of metres in the lake is this the place?
    -lackan,ballyknockan, vmt has alot of submerged boulders along shoreline

you ment lacken? are they far of the shore?
    -if coming to vmt bridge from sailclub there is a large sandspit on nearside of bridge coming out to midway of bridge, stay to right

not sure where sail club is (only known place with kayaks next to blsg bridge) but it might be what i already found while wading.
    -smiths bay has 2 large sandbanks
    -300m out from smiths bay is a submerged tree island
    - along the shore from smiths to inlet, littered with submerged tree stumps
    -pass inlet bay on opp bank has submerged tree stumps

is smiths bay one next to dam opposite to ballymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

MarcinG wrote: »
    ever tried perch fishing there? on ennell at the moment we spoted huge swarns of fish can i expect same?

ennell, you say i was watching two boats out in the middle of it last sun, moving around in the middle a red and a white boat was that you.

there seems to be a real explosion of perch at the moment in limestone loughs but i am not sure about blessington.

ennell, you say i was watching two boats out in the middle of it last sun, moving around in the middle a red and a white boat was that you.

there seems to be a real explosion of perch at the moment in limestone loughs but i am not sure about blessington.

I have standard colour sheelin boat. explosion may be a good word all right.
    never got such a number of good perch (this is my firs fall on the water so not sure is this standard or not). average size 30-35cm caught (roughly 200 of them in 2 days). But they (not sure are those swarms a roach or perch/bream ff won't tell difference but sure perch are among them) move quite fast and perfect spot is moving every few minutes (used up 10l+ tank in 2 days without trolling on 6hp engine).one of the them not the biggest

alot of qs marcin ill try amswer. spot on about island. the shallows at burgage castle is opp burgage bridge heading down on lhs toward blesso br, the liffey trees are where liffey flows in from manor kilbride direction not the dam, sailclub is on road from burgage br to vmt br passed baltyboys hostel, if on vmt br look nth the dangerous point is on left b4 sail club, smiths is vmt to kings river shore, take care mate, i got a cheap depthfinder 120 i think eagle finder is name, dont bother gettin the shaft fitting that gclamps to gunnels, total crap, better off srewing the bracket direct to boat, use silicone to seal scew holes

delsalmon wrote: »
    dont bother gettin the shaft fitting that gclamps to gunnels, total crap, better off srewing the bracket direct to boat, use silicone to seal scew holes

hehe i sold mine within 3 days after purchase (as it was still in one piece).
    ps. they cost roughly 15e in Poland and judging by colours and overall look they are same as sold here for like 50 or sth ;)
    i made my own one from aluminium profiles:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fq5n03Nfe0c/TrfrRKCOIVI/AAAAAAAAAPY/DfuvxNyTpXo/s800/P1000245.JPG
    and trasducer is monuted on same flat bar and just slides in (secured by screw from the top).:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/105899983572256948046/Boat#5672260808947917202

i can slide it up and down so it will hide behind the hull.

also made such one other day but as made of raw steel was rusting quick:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YlIhY7kWydg/ThMif4d55LI/AAAAAAAAACI/vnScebgSNsA/s800/DSCF0523.JPG

i would be afraid to put anything through the hull (if i wouldn't i would put transducer through it! ;) mind you i actually bored drainage hole under last bench.
    thanks for replies.

ps i must admit i'm stupid as tree ;) for some reason i assumed that the dam is at the liffey in to the reservoir ;)

• Advertisement

nothing spectacular (as i expected) just little perch (single one! ;P
    but there are few annoying things:
    I couldn't buy trout permit just now (literally it means that i will have to buy 2nd fishing permit in march if i would like to take some trout during season - not that i want to hunt for dinner every day but what if i would like to do so). Funny enough 1/2 of anglers i've seen today were using fly rods (so what can not fish for pike with trout permit but can for trout with coarse one? i don't think they were after breams ;P
    But it is all just a minor thing as i do trout fishing maybe 3 times a year.
    but i had no idea that slip is locked at night (for all sorts of reasons i don't like to keep boat at the reservoir). This means that like day were to long now i'm loosing good 2 hours of fishing (gate opened at 8:30 ant closed around 16:45) + another 1 for lounching/retreiving boat what i no need to do in daylight. and no chances to get key. Is there any other slip there accessible beyound those hours?

Ps. what do you do if you left boat there and want to launch it and you find it laying on the grass 3-4m away from water (not to mention upside down in the water) just drag it or wait for higher water?

you can launch at vmt bridge too, cross bridge, carpark on left. used to wreck my head opening times at russborough. if left overnight at russ and boat high and dry, i used to use 3ft lengths of wavin pipe and roll boat down on them, i was able to drag a 17ft daragh back out this way on my own. make sure you pass your lock chain through wavin or some git will nick them, some git nicked my bouyancy tank bung, rowlocks, and some rope fittings. some right f-ers up there

you can launch at vmt bridge too, cross bridge, carpark on left. used to wreck my head opening times at russborough. if left overnight at russ and boat high and dry, i used to use 3ft lengths of wavin pipe and roll boat down on them, i was able to drag a 17ft daragh back out this way on my own. make sure you pass your lock chain through wavin or some git will nick them, some git nicked my bouyancy tank bung, rowlocks, and some rope fittings. some right f-ers up there

thanks. I would never ever leave her alone at night (too much time I spent on her to customize (all sorts of fittings etc) and i'm more affraid of vandals than thefts + apart for anything else it is sort of big asset for me. just got quite surprise at so many boats left unattended like they were 3 euro at local shop.... Was wondering are they abandoned or just have a careless owner..

Ps I asked for insurance quote in Aviva and they left me laughing. 200Euro premium of boat worth 1000 and they would only pay you back 800 if something happens - this means you will actually pay 400 euro for insuring boat worth 1000 (40%!!!!!) it is enough for extra fuel for few years..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... but i had no idea that slip is locked at night (for all sorts of reasons i don't like to keep boat at the reservoir). This means that like day were to long now i'm loosing good 2 hours of fishing (gate opened at 8:30 ant closed around 16:45) + another 1 for lounching/retreiving boat what i no need to do in daylight. and no chances to get key. Is there any other slip there accessible beyound those hours?...
    ... i used to use 3ft lengths of wavin pipe and roll boat down on them, i was able to drag a 17ft daragh back out this way on my own. make sure you pass your lock chain through wavin or some git will nick them, some git nicked my bouyancy tank bung, rowlocks, and some rope fittings. some right f-ers up there
    thanks. I would never ever leave her alone at night (too much time I spent on her to customize (all sorts of fittings etc) and i'm more affraid of vandals than thefts +.... Ps I asked for insurance quote in Aviva and they left me laughing. 200Euro ..

You need to simplify and lighten your fishing toolbox guys!
    Make your own fishing map, launch in proximity to the spot, use a float tube or a folding (not inflatable) kayak like a Folbot Aleut. Leave the boaters to drive all over the lake looking.
    Some interesting questions we fail to ask ourselves (until we wake up that is! ) ...
    What are the key feature of a fishing watercraft? What are optional features that have a cost but give little added benefit? Can those feature be eliminated and what will the watercraft look like without them? What features are limiting if we evaluate from this point of view? If you fish alone why do you need three seats? If you have a car why should you get a trailer? If the lake is one mile long/wide why do you need the horsepower of an outboard when you have arms and legs and can move yourself? How far can you carry that outboard? Does the wife like your boat lying in the garden all year? Do you enjoy bailing rainwater out of it when not in use?

The key features for me are:
    1 can fish from it, 2 can be carried, 3 can go inside carboot, 4 sets up in <15 minutes.
    Sit on top rigid hull fishing kayaks fill many needs but go on top of car and that limits where you can park, a major design flaw in my view of fishing freedom. Tubes and folding kayaks have great possibilities if you are reasonably fit, and they help keep you that way too which is a good added benefit.
    The lake boat is something for Corrib or Mask or Ree. If Blesso is going to be like Mask today, due to high windy conditions, take the tube/folder yak to a smaller lake that day, or bankfish Blesso that day. The boat wouldn't have been much fun that day either.

1 can fish from it, 2 can be carried, 3 can go inside carboot, 4 sets up in <15 minutes.
    Sit on top rigid hull fishing kayaks fill many needs but go on top of car and that limits where you can park, a major design flaw in my view of fishing freedom. Tubes and folding kayaks have great possibilities if you are reasonably fit, and they help keep you that way too which is a good added benefit.
    The lake boat is something for Corrib or Mask or Ree. If Blesso is going to be like Mask today, due to high windy conditions, take the tube/folder yak to a smaller lake that day, or bankfish Blesso that day. The boat wouldn't have been much fun that day either.
    1 inflatables are not permited on blessington (but i've seen 2x75HP rib on it though while it says max engine 6HP).
    2 i have tube made by DLT? (perfect copy of airflo:

http://www.airflofishing.com/TemplateImages/Airflo_fishing/product_pages/accessories/boat/Acc_V_Float_Tube_1.jpg

and it is a total disaster - back is way too buoyant compare to front (this tilts you to the front)+ sitting fabric for some reason is also tilted and this make you hanging on your balls - no thanks ;)
    i may give it a second go somewhere on canal or something but not now - unless i buy neoprene waders.
    + under my weight (110-120kg with gear) front is almost submerged making even chest waders risky short).

+ in tube you are pretty water temperature dependant.
    + you have to make up your mind do you like to go for perch or pike (this is taking at least 2 rods and different tackle all together).

I do see point in what you said. I bought tube to use it on small lakes.
    But not too many of them around dublin (at the moment by budget is too tight to afford driving to cavan every weekend) and car with trailer doesn;t take much more fuel that without it and blessington is half the distance. I'm a great fan of tubes but everything has it application.
    For me - small ponds or bays of bigger lake are perfect with tube. but if don't know big lake it will take you considerably longer to get any idea where to fish + without making extra fittings (like on green hobby model site) you can't take ff with you and this making whole thing even harder.

for example 2 weeks ago on ennell we wouldn't catch a single perch without lake boat and fishfinder (fish were on move over 20m deep part).
    Would you go in a tube to the middle of Ennell and even if you would chances are small to find fish as they seem to be swarming in big groups for winter - very unlikely to find just single fish or bigger group without ff).

Something different for pike fishing in summer/spring no need to go to the middle of the lake or fish finder to find them. As i said everything has an application.

You are absolutely correct, everything has an application.
    On my tube I use a sonar unit, and for cold water I find that 5mm neoprene works very well, even when there is ice on the water I am warm and comfortable inside the neoprenes. But those waders are too hot for summer!

I have fished Ennell from the tube, and at this time year the perch are to be found in 20 metres of water in very big shoals.
    If you do not already know their location before launching on to the water, the boat will find them faster. For a slower craft like the tube you need to know a general location before starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

dont want to turn this into a float tube v boat debate, but the big problem with tubes is surely range or lack of range, particularly on a big water. for example it is entirely possible to find trout feeding in a isolated remote part of a lough that might be a minimum of two-three or more miles from your launch point/berth. with a tube you have little chance of finding those fish, unless they are close to the launch.

I have thought about trying tubes but the range puts me off. while i know nothing about tubes i think this is an important factor.
    I can see one possible advantage of a tube over a boat and that's the possibility of the tube, being operated properly, being less conspicuous. With increasing water clarity thanks to the zebra this could be an important factor.

in a a lake like blesso, where 1 minute your fishin 7ft, next minute 60ft, boat with loads of room is a must, 2 people max, if gives you alot of versatility being able to switch your rods quick, 1 float troll rod, 1 float dead rod, 1 jerkbait rod doubling for jerkbaiting and trolling lures, 1 light lure rod, plus your lure buckets, unhooking area, tools etc. i wouldnt dare go out on blesso in anything under 17ft. it can get very hairy on it. would rather a bigger engine size than 6hp on it, to get you out of trouble when storm whips up

would rather a bigger engine size than 6hp on it, to get you out of trouble when storm whips up

I saw guys on RIB with 2x75HP engine i guess they can make some storm ;)
    Ps how they are allowed to? I was told only person using engine over 6HP on the reservoir is guy from rowing club at blessington bridge.

The safety & rescue boat is exempt from the maximum horsepower rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement