Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mass Effect 3

196979899100102»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Some of the DLC weapons are utterly godlike ... in the hands of the the CPU.

But tbh I never let it bother me; I found the different weapons in ME3 very satisfying.
    The M-55 Argus from the Leviathan DLC is bloody awesome; it's basically a rifle that behaves like a mid-range shotgun with a serious kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

They never got the weapon upgrade system right in any of the games. Probably came closest in 2 but 3 was a pain with all the pop-ups when you leveled up to 5, which was silly in of itself. 1 was the most straight forward and easy to use and prob my favorite except you'd end up with like a bazillion credits lol. My greatest regret of all time was decideing to kill Kaidan only to realise I'd given him the OP omni tool that you got on a mission. What a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ok, said I'd check back in now that I've completed it plenty spoilers in the wall of text below me including discussion of who lived / died and choices I made.

1. I Completed the Game with the extended cut installed
    2. I chose to destroy all synthetics (by accident - i wanted to take control of the reapers, but once you walk so far, you cant turn back) So the Geth and EDI were wiped out,
    3. both of the team members I took to earth survived, as did everyone else (apart from cortez, legion, modin and EDI).

So, the ending.... I don't have the benefit of knowing what the shorter ending is so could someone fill me in on what the big controversy was about.

I thought it was epic that shepard sarcrificed himself, and the goodbyes that were said in the run up to the assault on the pillar of light were genuinely moving. The reveal of the Illusive man being indoctrinated made sense, in that it was all the plan of the catalyst that shepard would have to make the final choice on how to deal with the reaping of organics.

Fair enough, the creators of the catalyst and the original reapers was not covered, but I would consider them to be analogous to Gods - or an advanced synthetic race that had become aware and decided that the war between synths and organics would destroy both sides eventually, thus they made the "calculus of war decision" to eradicate the advanced species before they could advance far enough to create a synthetic that would become aware - this is also a throwback to EDI - A self aware AI - The catalyst mentions that humans were not reaped in the previous cycle, it was only when they got sufficient advanced that the reaping commenced.

If it was the scene with the stargazer and the boy saying "tell me another story about the shepard" I can only assume that is a flash forward to the future - where Shepard has become the stuff of legend.

Final Verdict - Terrific game, and IMO a satisfying conclusion to the series. Also, that last shot of shepards chest, and the gasp for air really lifted my spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

So, the ending.... I don't have the benefit of knowing what the shorter ending is so could someone fill me in on what the big controversy was about.

It was mostly the realization that all your choices up to that point were meaningless. people expected their decisions throughout the games to reflect what ending they got, instead you could play ultimate paragon or ultimate renegade and still be left standing at that crossroad. Even if you still had the same three endings but your choices locked you into one of them, it would have been better.
    None of the three endings themselves are that great. Bioware spends three games going on about how evil the reapers are and when you finally get the chance, it paints the "destroy Reapers" ending as the bad option.

Then there was the whole explanation for why the reapers exist. Even though it was barely an undertone throughout all three games, now it was suddenly all about synthetics and organics inability to live in peace together. so the reapers wipe out organic races so they don't get wiped out by synthetics. genius.
    Also, everything the starchild says is contradicted by Legion and the peace between Geth and Quarrian.

Angry Joe has a top ten video of what's wrong with the ending, and while the first four were explained away (badly) by the longer ending, the rest are still pretty valid.

I love the first two Mass Effects and 99% of the third one, but felt the ending was a real disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The creation of the reapers is covered to a large degree by the Leviathan dlc which is decent enough as dlc goes. I never had a big problem with the ending (although I also never saw it without the extended cut) as playing the game is always more important to me than the ending. The problem I did have with it is that's more or less exactly the same ending as Deus Ex: both HR and the first one. Combine with synthetic life, destroy synthetic life ushering a new dark age or basically allow synthetic life to continue to control/destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I would consider them to be analogous to Gods - or an advanced synthetic race that had become aware and decided that the war between synths and organics would destroy both sides eventually, thus they made the "calculus of war decision" to eradicate the advanced species before they could advance far enough to create a synthetic that would become aware

It is utterly baffling to me that anyone can consider this idea to be anything other than ridiculous.

Yo, gonna kill all the organics because they might make synthetics that might kill the organics that way they won't make synthetics that could kill the organics so I'll just kill all the organics.

It's like if I see you with matches I go burn down your house with you inside of it because your matches are dangerous because you could burn down the house with them.

Zillah wrote: »
    It is utterly baffling to me that anyone can consider this idea to be anything other than ridiculous.

Yo, gonna kill all the organics because they might make synthetics that might kill the organics that way they won't make synthetics that could kill the organics so I'll just kill all the organics.

It's like if I see you with matches I go burn down your house with you inside of it because your matches are dangerous because you could burn down the house with them.

Hey, I didn't write the game, that's essentially the definition of the reaper origin As dictated by the catalyst. He even says something along the lines of 'i am a vi, in that you are an animal' also, he infers that the original reapers were made from an organic race against their will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hey, I didn't write the game, that's essentially the definition of the reaper origin As dictated by the catalyst. He even says something along the lines of 'i am a vi, in that you are an animal' also, he infers that the original reapers were made from an organic race against their will.

Yes, that is what the game says, which means the people who wrote the dialogue are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes, that is what the game says, which means the people who wrote the dialogue are idiots.

What about the people that liked the dialogue? :D

What about the people that liked the dialogue? :D

I'm one of them for sure, TBH, whilst the 3 way choice was probably off putting to some, I thought it actually explained it all away fine. They could have gone with a simple "fire the cannon - all the reapers die, smiles all round" but the ending they went with and the explanation for the what the reapers are actually made sense to me. (again I played using the extended cut, and I'm aware from browsing sites that there were scenes missing, like showing what happened your teammates on the way to the pillar of light)

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to go back and read up summarys on the plot of ME1 and 2, as I'm not fully sure of How Sovereign and Saren factor into it - (I assume they were some sort of scouting party) and the Role of the Harvesters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement