Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Series Of Dark Caves wants other members.

• 01-12-2008 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

'Lo, I have a one-man-band type affair going on (A Series Of Dark Caves):

http://www.myspace.com/aseriesofdarkcaves

Basically, I'm looking for musicians to help out with live stuff (gigs) primarily, but I suppose depending on how things turn out, I wouldn't be against turning A Series Of Dark Caves into a proper band - in studio and all. I have a new set of songs now that are slightly more layered than the ones at the link above, so playing gigs by myself is no longer a good option.

I'm mainly looking for:
    -A Drummer.
    -A Keyboardist / synth player.

I would prefer if you could play more than one instrument, or at least be open to getting your nails into another one. Being one myself, I know there are loads of guitarists around, but if you think you're a little different from the masses, can hold a note vocalwise (even if it has the tonality of a car-crash) and know where to buy a bass guitar, I'll have you onboard aswell.

In fact, if you give the above music a listen and can suggest what you think would make it better along with being able to show me musically what you meant - I'll consider you, whatever the instrument.

I'm based in Clonsilla, Dublin 15 so the nearer you are, the better (my sides hurt when I walk loads and it's generally cold outside this time of year).

So yeah, that's pretty much it.

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DJ_Brady

I have my own music on www.andrewbradymusic.com and www.myspace.com/andrewbrady2009
    I'm 20 and based in Navan Meath.
    Could get to where you are though.
    How old are you?
    Will give your music a listen.
    Get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boddahboy

I'm 19. Having listened to your music on the links you gave (and knowing how mine sounds), I'd strongly recommend that you check out the kind of music I make - because I feel they're almost polar opposites.

What exactly can you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I really like the sound of your stuff. I play drums and guitar(debatable really) and own a bass and can kinda play it(debatable again) and am looking to jam/form a band. The only thing is, are you looking to start a band or just for someone to be a session player?

I'm interested in being a contributing member in a band, rather than just a session musician really.

What kinda music are you into?

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a band, with permanent members.

And the fact that you'd be willing to try out stuff rather than just be barked at and told what to do is cool.

So, you'd rate yourself fairly competent at the drums? What stuff would you be into yourself?

As regards musician name-dropping, I'm into:

Radiohead
    Of Montreal
    Why?
    Vampire Weekend
    Animal Collective
    Holy ****
    Deerhoof
    LCD Soundsystem
    Wolf Parade
    Sunset Rubdown
    Regina Spektor
    Panda Bear
    Liars
    Crystal Castles
    Joanna Newsom
    etc.
    etc.

and so on.

Anything that's good, I'll listen to. And I'll generally give anything a chance.

EDIT: Hah, I forgot there was a word filter on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I must admit, I'm not hugely in to Electronic based music such as Animal Collective and Crystal Castles. I have listened and I think it's interesting etc but it's not something I'd like to play.

I do like a few of the other bands you mention though, Regina Spektor, Radiohead. I'm more into stuff like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Built to Spill (Main influence at the moment) but also stuff like Dirty Three, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Bon Iver sort of stuff as well (as in down tempo-esque).

I really like your voice as well as the songs themselves. Would you be open to playing heavier stuff too or are you set on a particular type of music? As I said, I kinda wanna be a contributing member of the band, coming up with some riffs or chord progressions and have a say in the band in general, you know?

And yeah I'd say I'm quite competent on drums, nothing incredible but can do more than just keep a beat.

• Advertisement

Timans wrote: »
    ...Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Built to Spill (Main influence at the moment)... Mogwai...

Hahaha, they're all on my list too.

If your drumming style is anything like that which you'd find in Mogwai or Built To Spill, that would be just what I'm looking for.

I'm not set on anything at all really. Whatever works and sounds good. The new stuff I have now is slightly "heavier" than those samples on the myspace.

I'm a little busy myself over the next few weeks, but if you PM me some details (phone number, name etc.), I'll be in touch. There's no better way to decide than a good old jam.

Still looking for a synth-player if anyone wants to ply their trade?

Boddahboy wrote: »
    Still looking for a synth-player if anyone wants to ply their trade?

Maybe I mean keyboard-player.

I need someone to mash certain white and/or black buttons in a rhythmic fashion.

Take from that what you will.

Advertisement