Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post Rebel Tour 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

willya wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this... signed up in the excitement of completing the ROK. Have being traveling for work over the last while so have little to no training done. 160 kms woohoo!!! Someone please tell me the distance is over exaggerated like the ROK!

No not exaggerated , ROK is flat in comparison to the rebel 160 . Cahermore to allihies to eyeries is a bitch of a section for climbing .

Hope you have been doing hills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Did the RR 85k last year and pondered on doing the R 160 this year....but have chickened out and just doing the R 85k, as I want to relax & enjoy my last charity sportif of the season, instead of exploding my knee caps going up all those steep climbs...oh and being tail end Charlie to the fast gang!!

Did the SKT 160k this year in the rain & sadly without Mahon Falls.
    Found it very tough but then again it's supposed to be!!

Is R 160 tougher than SKT 160 ?

lismore7 wrote: »
    Did the RR 85k last year and pondered on doing the R 160 this year....but have chickened out and just doing the R 85k, as I want to relax & enjoy my last charity sportif of the season, instead of exploding my knee caps going up all those steep climbs...oh and being tail end Charlie to the fast gang!!

Did the SKT 160k this year in the rain & sadly without Mahon Falls.
    Found it very tough but then again it's supposed to be!!

Is R 160 tougher than SKT 160 ?

Wouldn't worry about being last that will be my honour, few from club are sticking with me. Going early and keeping it social

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

ROK ON wrote: »
    @willya

Prepare for a world of hurt.
    The Ring of Beara which the 160 takes in is significantly tougher than the RoK.
    There is an 15km section of road from before Allihies to Eyeries that has three very short very sever climbs. You will feel like you are on a roller coaster.
    By that stage you will have already taken in the Caha and Healy pass.

It's a great route, but if you are basing it on the RoK then reevaluate.
    shaka wrote: »
    No not exaggerated , ROK is flat in comparison to the rebel 160 . Cahermore to allihies to eyeries is a bitch of a section for climbing .

Hope you have been doing hills :)

Cheers for the info, I am now positive I will suffer!
    No I have not being doing hills! I have hardly being on the bike but I'm thinking I'll just show up and plow on, it looks like there will be some fantastic scenery to offset the hurt.

I'll see ye all on the day!

Weather Saturday:

Likely to stay dry and settled, with spells of hazy sunshine and light easterly breezes. Slightly warmer even on Saturday. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info, I am now positive I will suffer!
    No I have not being doing hills! I have hardly being on the bike but I'm thinking I'll just show up and plow on, it looks like there will be some fantastic scenery to offset the hurt.

I'll see ye all on the day!

If your suffering on healy pass I'd consider just doing the 85 unless you are very fit. The toughest of the climbing IMHO is after healy pass when you head west after Castletownbere

Best of luck by the way , I'll be suffering with you :( . Haven't got out much this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If your suffering on healy pass I'd consider just doing the 85 unless you are very fit. The toughest of the climbing IMHO is after healy pass when you head west after Castletownbere

Best of luck by the way , I'll be suffering with you :( . Haven't got out much this month

Or turn right in Castletownbere and skip the section around tip of peninsula

Ya think it only knocks 20 or 30 k off route if I remember correctly, may be doing that myself and let lads off and meet them on healy pass second time around

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fred.burdett

Good luck everyone.

Ya think it only knocks 20 or 30 k off route if I remember correctly, may be doing that myself and let lads off and meet them on healy pass second time around

Would you think a number of riders would do this?

I'm not one to whimp out of a climb but the entire Rebel 160 route may be too much of a test for me little ol legs and the option to bale out of a difficult section, would be handy.
    Otherwise it's the 85k for me, which apart from Healy pass, won't challenge me too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm not one to whimp out of a climb but the entire Rebel 160 route may be too much of a test for me little ol legs and the option to bale out of a difficult section, would be handy.
    Otherwise it's the 85k for me, which apart from Healy pass, won't challenge me too much[/quote

if you look at my strava page for June 22 you'll see that shortcut.

It's a lovely bit of road, although the bit you miss out is my favourite section of ride.

ford2600 wrote: »

Otherwise it's the 85k for me, which apart from Healy pass, won't challenge me too much[/quote

if you look at my strava page for June 22 you'll see that shortcut.

It's a lovely bit of road, although the bit you miss out is my favourite section of ride.

Will do thanks Ford. How would you compare this to SKT?
    You doing it Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

None of the climbs are as severe as on the SKT, but as others have said it feels like constant climbing owing to the rolling roads

Going to make a wknd of hell out of it,going to do this leg warmer on the Friday:

Priest Leap both sides, Caha pass, Glengariff forest climb and Barley Lake:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lads I did the 160 the last two years, don't worry too much about the bit out at Allihies, yes it's tough but it's not insurmountable if you are sensible, it's not a race, stop take a breather, admire the view, go a bit further and repeat, if it's a fine day (and the forecast looks good ) and you take the short cut than you'll have missed out on one of the finest stretches of cycling road it's been my pleasure to travel, I don't think anything compares to coming over the hill and seeing this laid out in front of you.

8002371209_9de5460fd6_b.jpgWest Cork Pano-1 by cilldara, on Flickr

Can't make it myself this year, the pain is somewhat allayed by having got down earlier in the year and getting a loop in with the Healy and Caha but still can't wait to get back there again soon. Enjoy yourselves ye lucky feckers.....

I've signed up for the 85, can I switch easy enough on the day to the 160 if I decide that the body needs more pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I've signed up for the 85, can I switch easy enough on the day to the 160 if I decide that the body needs more pain?

You'll need to email them before midday tomorrow

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/faqs1?#q24

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Andalucia wrote: »
    Going to make a wknd of hell out of it,going to do this leg warmer on the Friday:

Priest Leap both sides, Caha pass, Glengariff forest climb and Barley Lake:)

Masochist! That's some seriously wicked climbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i did last year & no bother.
    might do the same this year

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭listrybabe

Some local guys are doing the 160 and trying to get me to do it as well, Ive done the ROK a couple of times but never more than 100 k otherwise. I am reasonably fit. Would I be MAD to attempt this ? One other question is it true that u can not start earlier than the official 9 am start ? Thanks !

listrybabe wrote: »
    Some local guys are doing the 160 and trying to get me to do it as well, Ive done the ROK a couple of times but never more than 100 k otherwise. I am reasonably fit. Would I be MAD to attempt this ? One other question is it true that u can not start earlier than the official 9 am start ? Thanks !

The madness piece I can't comment on!

The start times from the mail that came out today (below) it looks like they don't want anyone starting before 9am for the 160km and 10am for the 85km routes as there will be no cover or support services.

Dear An Post Rebel Tour Participant You will shortly receive your Information Pack for this Saturday?s event in Glengarriff with all relevant details. PLEASE NOTE that early starts are not permitted on the route as it will not be open: no medical cover, no stewards, no food or water stops and no support vehicles. Start Times: 160km Rebel Challenge ? 9am 85km Rebel Rider ? 10am A printed barcoded confirmation (e-ticket) MUST be presented for scanning for EACH participant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

damn was going to do this and leave an hour early ( 8am )as i have a holiday flight to catch, would they really stop us if we went early not 2 bothered about food stops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

For coastal areas Windguru is a pretty good way to forecast the weather.

WindGuru - Bantry Bay http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=89357

Temperature looks good and rain may stay away. Wind not so bad either.

Met.ie forecast also looks ok - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

so going to completely jinx myself now and will pack some sun cream!

ciaeim wrote: »
    damn was going to do this and leave an hour early ( 8am )as i have a holiday flight to catch, would they really stop us if we went early not 2 bothered about food stops

Best of luck trying lol, gang of us are going early minimum of hour early .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Best of luck trying lol, gang of us are going early minimum of hour early .

might try it so

I like the buzz at the start and would get very depressed as everyone overtook me, if I went early :(
    I'll just potter away at the back of the 160k and try to make the 1.30 deadline at Castletownbere

Does anyone know what the food stops are like?
    Queues?
    What should I expect to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Does anyone know what the food stops are like?
    Queues?
    What should I expect to get?

tea, coffee, sandwiches, pasta, biscuits, buns, fruit, etc...

They feed you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

All the talk of how tough this course is has me nervous about this! Had signed up for the 55k as I'm in Cork for the weekend anyhow and then got moved to the 85k, not sure if I'll be able for it... Did a test run last week of 65k with 720m of climbing and got through that ok, although the hill from Kilternan up to Johnny Fox's did involve a few stops. Am I being stupid about heading down or is the 85k actually manageable based on the above?

Being 95kg and having less than 2500k on the bike since I took up this cycling business earlier in the year means hills are definitely not my friends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

xebec wrote: »
    All the talk of how tough this course is has me nervous about this! Had signed up for the 55k as I'm in Cork for the weekend anyhow and then got moved to the 85k, not sure if I'll be able for it... Did a test run last week of 65k with 720m of climbing and got through that ok, although the hill from Kilternan up to Johnny Fox's did involve a few stops. Am I being stupid about heading down or is the 85k actually manageable based on the above?

Being 95kg and having less than 2500k on the bike since I took up this cycling business earlier in the year means hills are definitely not my friends!!

Im in a similar position but I will be going at my own pace and will finish eventually regardless
    If you set out to just enjoy the ride you will. Worrying about distance and climbing will dampen the enjoyment - well that is what I think.

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »

Im in a similar position but I will be going at my own pace and will finish eventually regardless
    If you set out to just enjoy the ride you will. Worrying about distance and climbing will dampen the enjoyment - well that is what I think.

I think from this thread there are a few in the same position.
    You'll grand sure!

Advertisement