Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

• 12-04-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

MOD EDIT:

Rumours posted in this thread will be removed, we need a bit more to go on than simply what someone has heard through the grapevine.

"If all goes to plan, boojum Galway will be opening at the end of May/start of June."

Mexican Burrito Bar. Opening next to Kumar's. Notice up looking for staff. I quoted the above from a new Facebook page doing the rounds.

https://www.facebook.com/boojumgalway

http://www.boojummex.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    "If all goes to plan, boojum Galway will be opening at the end of May/start of June."

Mexican Burrito Bar. Opening next to Kumar's. Notice up looking for staff. I quoted the above from a new Facebook page doing the rounds.

https://www.facebook.com/boojumgalway

http://www.boojummex.com/

Is that the unit where BK's used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Designs of Ireland has opened where The Bead Shop was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Jacoby Loose Streetcar

Surprised and pleased to see L'osteria da Roberta have re-opened in their former premises in Upper Salthill. Haven't been in yet but it looks exactly the same as it always did.

A new cafe - the G counter - has opened in Wellpark behing the G hotel, beside Eddie Rockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are re-opening, at the end of this month.
    Just saw in the paper they are opening in Salthill, can't wait to go for a Bento :)

New place going in where the fruit and veg place was on Mary St, im guessing maybe an Asian or Eastern European foodstore by the shelving inside. Something called 'Down Town Cafe' opening where the German place was on Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

Funny I was just thinking about that shop Boston yesterday as I walked away from Aldi, it's been idle for so long. A new Pharmacy has gone in the other side of Aldi, it looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭feargalmcc1

Malena72 wrote: »
    Funny I was just thinking about that shop Boston yesterday as I walked away from Aldi, it's been idle for so long. A new Pharmacy has gone in the other side of Aldi, it looks nice.

How long has it been there for as far as I can remember the clothes in there were tacky

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

New paint & wallpaper shop in westside where ernies discount store was.

C'mon the optimists,

Westy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

The petrol station across from the entrance of Merlin Park Hospital seems to be reopening as Texaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Malena72 wrote: »

That new pharmacy in Michael McLoughlins, who had been operating in the city for years. Very nice and helpful people to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paint shop opened where arnies used to be in westside

There is a new art gallery and mens clothes shop on Abbeygate Street Upper.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Field's Jewelers are fitting out in the former Benetton shop on William Street. That shop must be vacant for more than five years.

There is a new art gallery and mens clothes shop on Abbeygate Street Upper.

All in one :confused:. Or the two that have been there for the last 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

The Kingsvalley hotel on the Merlin Park road in Galway City has closed recently, anyone know any details why?

I assume it wasn't making enough trade as it was never all that busy, but it's a pity because they did good carvery dinners there.

Or has the owner who has another hotel in Claregalway gone out of business?

Did you see a sign on the door or hear something down the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Seen a sign on the door during the week when I called in for lunch.

Was surprised to see all the window blinds pulled down and just a simple "closed" sign on the door.

I live nearby and hadn't heard a thing about it.

The hotel website at http://www.kingsvalley.ie is displaying a "Kingsvalley Hotel & Bodkins Bar is closed until further notice" message.

So I'm curious if anyone knows whats going in the background here (e.g. business is not viable, owner in financial trouble, change of owner etc) and if it is likely it will open again.

Another hotel not far away (Racing Lodge aka Auburn House hotel) closed about 2 years ago and it is still closed.

Sound thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I tried to go into it last week and noticed it closed as well. I asked a few people about it and was told its closed a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 galwaygirl2805

Nath wrote: »
    Another hotel not far away (Racing Lodge aka Auburn House hotel) closed about 2 years ago and it is still closed.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/search/node/racing%20lodge

Saw this in The Sentinel about two weeks ago, "Deserted hotel to be turned in to a community centre, with multi-demonitational worship area"

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

New Nail Bar in Abbeygate street where the Diva Nail Bar used to be.
    Also new Boutique where Closets boutique used to be in Abbeygate street!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

24 Hour Subway and Londis opening across from The King's Head. Happy happy days! Finally somewhere other than Gala in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Re Bar Eight

Just seen a comment on there Facebook page there closed for good https://www.facebook.com/eightonthedocks/posts/537203259676235

www.facebook.com/eightonthedocks
    Posted 8.30 today:
    Sorry everyone but we had had to close. We could not carry the financial burden any longer. Thank you for all your support.
    Ok that takes the guesswork out of it now that there is an official release.
    www.eight.ie still not updated.

Too bad, good food.

Kappa Ya to reopen
    Kappa-ya will have a "Soft Opening" Saturday 1st June. We will be serving Sushi & Tempura for lunch all Fixed price, buffet style & for dinner New Teishoku Dish, all made with the best locally sourced Meat, Fish & Veg.
    www.facebook.com/pages/Kappa-ya/105560132519

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hi folks,
    As you may notice this thread has lost the bulk of it's posts, they haven't been deleted but they can't be seen either.
    We're going to start fresh here, sort of, as I've copied most of the last month's worth of posts over to a new thread so that we don't have old, unfounded rumours or misinformation cropping up any more, other than that it's business as usual.

It's important to bare in mind that you should not post about a business unless you can back your post up, if you cannot do so your post will be removed - even if it's a positive rumour, it'll still be treated as a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Nath wrote: »
    The Kingsvalley hotel on the Merlin Park road in Galway City has closed recently, anyone know any details why?

I assume it wasn't making enough trade as it was never all that busy, but it's a pity because they did good carvery dinners there.

Or has the owner who has another hotel in Claregalway gone out of business?

The Kingsvalley was being run by a receiver/hotel management company and had been under a combined structure with the Forster court which has been run by receiver the last year. Afaik they were both financed by Bank of Scotland loans so hence the link. Kingsvalley must be just untenable.
    There was no previous link in the owners of the hotels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's important to bare in mind that you should not post about a business unless you can back your post up, if you cannot do so your post will be removed - even if it's a positive rumour, it'll still be treated as a rumour.

Fair enough.

But can I ask for clues about what standard of backup you need? Is "I personally walked past at Xam (when they usually would be open, and they were closed / signage and fittings were removed" enough?

With openings, there's often a media link, or at least we can say "see an advert of page X of this week's Advertiser", but lots of closures aren't published in any way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement