Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bulletstorm (Hands on)

Options
  • 31-01-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Thanks to boards.ie and EA, I am being sent off to London to get a hands-on experience with Bulletstorm this week.

We've all played the demo so we all have an idea of what's going on. Just wondering if there are any specific details that people want me to find out / test when playing? If I can try them // can talk about them, I will!

Will post my thoughts after the experience here as well.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm hoping you find out that it is indeed as epic as it looks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Thanks to boards.ie and EA, I am being sent off to London to get a hands-on experience with Bulletstorm this week.

We've all played the demo so we all have an idea of what's going on. Just wondering if there are any specific details that people want me to find out / test when playing? If I can try them // can talk about them, I will!

Will post my thoughts after the experience here as well.

Can I go in your suitcase? :p

Well what I want to know is will the online be worth it.. I hope the online has no leashing and is basically online shooting opponents like all other shooters.. I think it would be awesome if this was the case..

The fact that it's out on the same day as kill zone however will mean a drop in sales.. I am not sure whether to get kill zone bundle or bullet storm and kill zone now..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well what I want to know is will the online be worth it.. I hope the online has no leashing and is basically online shooting opponents like all other shooters.. I think it would be awesome if this was the case..

I played the co-op at the last EA thing, boards.ie brought me to it. It's completely different from anything else and there is leashing. However it's probably the most fun I've had in a co-op game since Left 4 Dead 2. It's about surviving rounds of spawning enemies in small arenas that are littered with enviromental traps and obstacles that can be used to set up combos. The big difference is that getting solo combos only nets a small amount of points while the more people that add to the combo the higher your points. So leashing someone and kicking them into a tornado will get you a tiny amount of points. On the other hand leashing an enemy then having your friend kick them towards someone else who then tags the enemy with mines and kicks them into a group of enemies and detonates them will earn you exponentially more points. As the rounds progress the points totals you have to exceed to progress go up and more team work is needed to get more points. Between rounds you can buy and upgrade new weapons. It's a brilliant idea and just loads of fun.

It went from a game I had no interest in to a must have after playing it and it's far more interesting than Killzone.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played the co-op at the last EA thing, boards.ie brought me to it. It's completely different from anything else and there is leashing. However it's probably the most fun I've had in a co-op game since Left 4 Dead 2. It's about surviving rounds of spawning enemies in small arenas that are littered with enviromental traps and obstacles that can be used to set up combos. The big difference is that getting solo combos only nets a small amount of points while the more people that add to the combo. So leashing someone and kicking them into a tornado will get you a tiny amount of points. On the other hand leashing some then having your friend kick them towards someone else who then tags the enemy with mine and kicks them into a group of enemies and detonates them will earn you exponentially more points. As the rounds progress the points totals you have to exceed to progress go up and more team work is needed to get more points. Between rounds you can buy and upgrade new weapons. It's a brilliant idea and jusloads of fun.

It went from a game I had no interest in to a must have after playing it and it's far more interesting than Killzone.

So basically it's not a real FPS online game, like it's totally different and doesn't have like tdm and that.? Now I don't think I will get it if that's the case... Singl player would be the only thing.. I enjoyed l4d swell but the online just wasn't my thing, I feel they could have done more..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So basically it's not a real FPS online game, like it's totally different and doesn't have like tdm and that.? Now I don't think I will get it if that's the case... Singl player would be the only thing.. I enjoyed l4d swell but the online just wasn't my thing, I feel they could have done more..

Each to their own I guess, but that is music to my ears :). The online multiplayer killfest market is already more than well catered for IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well they haven't said if there is tdm, dm or any of the other modes that have been done to death already. However they are trying something totally new with this game with these modes, there's really nothing else like it. It's very score based, it's like a mix of an FPS and those score based 2D shoot'em ups and to be honest from what I've played they've succeeded and this is the first FPS games I've been excited about in a very long time. Maybe they will release the co-op demo and if they do you should give it a try. I think you'll change your tune when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This wasn't on my radar at all. Didn't even download the demo (been stuck into ME2). Then after reading this thread, I looked up a few vids and this just looks amazing. I love L4D and am mad for it to be ported to PS3. Seriously thinking about getting this now, I can't afford all these games!!!!!

How is the single player and co-op? Is it just 2 people?

Co-op is for up to 4 people. I wasn't at the EA show where they demonstrated the single player but a friend of mine said it was loads of fun. The only single player portion of the game I played was the demo that I think is the same as the demo that was released which is part of a score attack mode that relies of rankings. Only other thing I played of it was the 4 player co-op which was by far the most popular thing shown at the show.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Co-op is for up to 4 people. I wasn't at the EA show where they demonstrated the single player but a friend of mine said it was loads of fun. The only single player portion of the game I played was the demo that I think is the same as the demo that was released which is part of a score attack mode that relies of rankings. Only other thing I played of it was the 4 player co-op which was by far the most popular thing shown at the show.

Ah I will just make my mind up on day of launch.. Have 220euro in game card so I could afford both but need money for 3ds so will see how funds are..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's certainly a different online FPS - that's only from playing the demo and reading bits and pieces. EPIC found that Horde was the most played mode in Gears multiplayer so have encapsulated that in a way. Also, there are the mini chapters - speed and points runs (the current demo). Amazing how many ways there are to kill!

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It's certainly a different online FPS - that's only from playing the demo and reading bits and pieces. EPIC found that Horde was the most played mode in Gears multiplayer so have encapsulated that in a way. Also, there are the mini chapters - speed and points runs (the current demo). Amazing how many ways there are to kill!

Yeah it was class.. Shooting someone in the nuts and seeing reaction too in the trailer was funny.. I love the sight with the skulll think its one of the best sights I have seen in a game..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Awh, when I read the thread title I thought this was going to be about a shmup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I dunno, played the demo and wasn't exactly blown away by it. Get's a bit monotonous after a while grabbing players, shotting em in the nuts then throwing em against a spiked wall.... and repeat.

Well that's only a small level that is used as a score attack level. I'm sure there will be a lot more levels in the final release and there's a huge variety of ways you can kill the enemy.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Awh, when I read the thread title I thought this was going to be about a shmup :(

The score based shooting has a lot in common with shmups :P

Advertisement