Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jen's Voights Hour Record Attempt.

• 15-09-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Thursday the 18th at 7 pm c.e.t Jens Voight attempts to break the "New"ish world hour record. Criteria set by the UCI have been set/modified, position, equipment etc.Chris Boardmans record of 56.376, not recognised anymore (Best human effort attempt) won't be under any danger, sosenka's 49.7 is the primary target.Yes it's confusing:eek:
    A few people in the Know. Boardman, wiggins, thinks that he will do it

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/09/news/answered-11-questions-jens-voigts-hour-record-attempt_345973

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I reckon it's pretty much a sure thing, given the amount of extra data and technology available to Voigt and his crew, they've got to have a very solid idea of what they need him to do. I'd say they've 'made the calculayshun' already, and that's why there's such a big publicity push from Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

It should be good and hopefully reignite the interest of some of the big guys to attempt it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Anybody know if/how it's being televised?

I see it's being played at 00:15 on Thursday night on ES, is it on any other channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anybody know if/how it's being televised?

I see it's being played at 00:15 on Thursday night on ES, is it on any other channels?

The link says eurosport at 7pm cet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Interesting to see why Cancellara is speculated to have given up his attempt. And given that there's nothing to really compare this weeks attempt to it won't be as exciting.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    The link says eurosport at 7pm cet

It's not listed on eurosport player's schedule but that must be a mistake I'm pretty sure :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm 99% sure he'll do it. I'd be far more interested if Cancellara and Martin gave it a go. That'd be a proper competition.

I think Tony Martin could set a very serious record. Best time timetrialist I've ever seen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

5/6 on pp that he will do it...

retalivity wrote: »
    5/6 on pp that he will do it...

Already jumped on that, I'd say it'll shrink rapidly in the next few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Already jumped on that, I'd say it'll shrink rapidly in the next few days :)

At 5/6? Why on earth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Got some on it @ 4/6. There's no way they'd let it fail. Also, it's Jens.

Good video here on some of the stuff his team have been working on. They sound completely confident

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    At 5/6? Why on earth?

It's safe as milk. Superior athlete on a vastly superior bike with a significantly greater amount of data and metrics available to him. I'd bet your life on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

I see Bradley Wiggins is 1/4 to break it it by the end of 2015, 5/2 not to. Seems strange, I don't think it's definite he'll even attempt it next year, and even if he does someone else could get in before him and set a tough record to beat.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, just to go against the grain - I'm going with the "No"s on Thursday ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, just to go against the grain - I'm going with the "No"s on Thursday ....

Yes for Jens, and Yes for the Scots! Hopefully!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm always very confident on my predictions, but that always evaporates if I put some money on. Thinking about throwing a few quid at the "yes" campaigns ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Interesting to see why Cancellara is speculated to have given up his attempt. And given that there's nothing to really compare this weeks attempt to it won't be as exciting.
    apparently he was training for it on a tradtional Eddy Merckx era bike before they readjusted the equipment rules, which shouldt really effect him as he'll go faster anyway on a modern bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Voigt's odds with PP have dropped to 2/5 to succeed, so obviously there's been plenty people getting on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

pelevin wrote: »
    Voigt's odds with PP have dropped to 2/5 to succeed, so obviously there's been plenty people getting on board.

Jasus,I hope too many people don't get on board,poor Jens will have a hard time carrying all them people on his crossbar!!!!

• Advertisement

Jasus,I hope too many people don't get on board,poor Jens will have a hard time carrying all them people on his crossbar!!!!

Yes but if they manages to get up to speed, that extra weight in terms of momentum could prove useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I reckon he'll get dizzy or distracted and will fall off at some stage of the attempt

el tel wrote: »
    I reckon he'll get dizzy or distracted and will fall off at some stage of the attempt

He might go on a futile attack from too far out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think mr. voight is going to be breaking any records if he's carrying this much extra weight on the bike.

tumblr_lxmpslm6HA1qf6o97o1_1280.jpg

i don't think mr. voight is going to be breaking any records if he's carrying this much extra weight on the bike.

tumblr_lxmpslm6HA1qf6o97o1_1280.jpg

I think the UCI have since ruled that bike ineligible, & so the time they set no longer counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

as he cant ride in a straight line or steers with the pedals if you prefer I dont think he will do it. actually I hope he doesnt as I dont really like him!

and thats petty but I dont care!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Is there going to be an online feed for this?

I just seen it is now on eurosports listings on Thursday but it is scheduled for an hour and eurosport is notorious for letting shows overrun the cycling. I know it's just jensie going around in circles for an hour but it's nice to have a bit of a lead up to it, interviews, etc. Plus it would be nice to see the start and the end.

Really excited to see this, I was too young to get caught up in the fun of the 90's with Obree and Boardman for the hour record. Really looking forward to this and the possible follow ups with Wiggins, Martin and Cancellara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

With the possible fluctuations in Eurosports schedules, I hope they have contingency in the case he takes more than an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Entertainment.ie have Eurosport showing the programme from 1730-1915 so hopefully no encroachment on the actual record attempt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Is there going to be an online feed for this?

I just seen it is now on eurosports listings on Thursday but it is scheduled for an hour and eurosport is notorious for letting shows overrun the cycling. I know it's just jensie going around in circles for an hour but it's nice to have a bit of a lead up to it, interviews, etc. Plus it would be nice to see the start and the end.

Really excited to see this, I was too young to get caught up in the fun of the 90's with Obree and Boardman for the hour record. Really looking forward to this and the possible follow ups with Wiggins, Martin and Cancellara.

Trek are supposed to be covering it live on their US website:

Hey US fans! @TrekBikes will broadcast @TheJensie's #HourRecord attempt live on the Trek website: http://ow.ly/BBD2G

Might need to do some unspeakable jiggery pokery for computer to be USified ;-)

Advertisement