Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question regarding replacement spokes

• 10-09-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭

So, this may come across as a dumb question, but having bought a set of Shimano R501s from Merlin, and have had issues with spokes breaking on the rear wheel in the first 1000km. Now I have tried pursuing this with Merlin, but they are proving a pain in the hole to deal with and insisting that this is a warranty issue while I disagree given how soon the issues have arisen, so weighing up the option of buying a bunch of spokes and trying to get by myself at the moment. Only issue with this is that I'm not 100% on what spokes to get, as the techdocs suggest one size of spoke (286mm) for both drive and non-drive side, but this strikes me as wrong given dishing and all that.

Does anyone know for sure what the correct size of the spoke might be (from experience or whatever), or is anyone able to correct me that the same spoke length might in fact do both sides? BTW, can only find the drive side spokes available as spares online to use as a reference too.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No idea about the RS501s but I got a set of replacement spokes for my Fulcrum 7s when I bought them and they are different sizes for drive and non-drive side. You should be able to measure them in-situ using a length of string to see whether they're the same or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The techdoc doesn't show it but, it could be the case that the hub flanges are different sizes so that the same spoke will do for both sides. My 24-spoke rear aksium is like that, drive side flanges are deeper than non-drive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks guys. It had occurred to me to measure the spokes in place and see but hadn't gotten around to it before I posted this. Having done so since, they seem to be very close in length on both drive and non-drive side (within a couple of mm if not bang on the same?). So perhaps cdaly's theory is on the money, though there is no visible difference in the flanges (e.g. holes being closer to the axle), but perhaps the flange on one side is simply smaller/tighter in and of itself. I guess I could try to compare the spacing between spoke holes to test that out....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

@cython, spoke failures can be caused by a number of things. Over tightened spokes are more likely to fail than loose spokes. A heavier rider is going to be harder on spokes than a light rider, as will a stronger rider. The type of roads you cycle on has an obvious impact, excuse the pun. These are things you need to keep in mind when choosing wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

@macnab, I realise that, but had seen reviews of the R501s from people using them for commuting and around the same weight as myself (89-90kg, so not a lightweight, admittedly) without issue, and had hoped I would be ok. It seems either the roads I am on (Dublin 15 to Dublin 2) are worse than the average, or these wheels are dodgy, but given that I paid 90 euro for them (was on a budget), and have paid 15 for a replacement spoke, returning these to England may be just uneconomical when they won't commit to a resolution if they agree that there is a problem.

In any case, if I can verify that the spoke length of 286mm is appropriate for both drive side and non-drive side, would I be right in thinking that either of these would be adequate replacements: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-competition-db-black-spokes-18-pack/rp-prod91856 or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-revolution-db-black-spokes-18-pack/rp-prod91858 ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement