Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spice heads

• 15-09-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm chasing the spice kick. And not by simply adding more Tabasco/Frank's to the food - it should be great tasting while at the same time very very hot.

I recently found out they do Phaal/Phall in Tulsi so will try that out soon, but I think it may be a case of creating a dish too spicy so the flavours doesn't get their right.
    I've had many Vindaloos and the one in Kashmir was very good, nice balance of heat and flavour.
    Super spicy food is usually Indian or sometimes Chinese. Any other recommendations I can try locally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

My fave spicy dish is Gai Fai Dang in Thai Garden. They ask you if you want it mild "1" , medium "2" or spicy "3". You need to ask for extra spicy which is a "5".

When serving, they pour brandy on it and light it. Absolutely delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, I'll give that a go this evening. I see it has coconut milk in it, is it a strong coconut flavour (I'm not partial to it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

most Indians do Phaal, it may not be on menu but you can still ask for it. my husband has gotten it from Kashmiri and indian in terryland and oranmore. some of them will check if youve had it before as its so hot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I didn't realise they do Phaal in Galway, I like my hot food but it's just too hot for my taste buds! I was going to recommend the vindaloo in Kashmir, but you're aware of that. The vindaloo in Kumar's is also very good. Plenty hot but the delicious flavours don't get lost in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Paddyfield wrote: »
    My fave spicy dish is Gai Fai Dang in Thai Garden. They ask you if you want it mild "1" , medium "2" or spicy "3". You need to ask for extra spicy which is a "5".

When serving, they pour brandy on it and light it. Absolutely delish.

Good call on Thai Garden, one of the few places where "hot" isn't "irish hot" but the real thing.

I've ordered a 3 from there a few times and it begins to take away from the flavour at that point. I can only imagine a "5" would be like eating fire.

• Advertisement

They do phaal in Tulsi and I checked in Kumar's tonight, they do it too.
    Btw, Kumar's was great, I'll def be back there again. I asked for extra extra spicy Nasi Goreng (the satay sauce made the decision for me) and it was lovely (could have used a little bit more chillies but I'll know for next time). Couldn't even finish my dish, so much food.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

biko wrote: »
    Sound, I'll give that a go this evening. I see it has coconut milk in it, is it a strong coconut flavour (I'm not partial to it)?

I can only describe it as not very coconuty. It's a very full on flavour but not 'fire' as another poster suggested. If you like spicy, then this is your dish.

Had the Vindaloo and at a later date the Phaal/Phaal/whatever in Eastern Tandoori on Spanish Parade.
    Neither was outrageously hot (although the phaal did manage to get some brow sweat to happen), maybe they thought I wasn't able for it or something.

Will try the phaal in the other Indians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

biko wrote: »
    Had the Vindaloo and at a later date the Phaal/Phaal/whatever in Eastern Tandoori on Spanish Parade.
    Neither was outrageously hot (although the phaal did manage to get some brow sweat to happen), maybe they thought I wasn't able for it or something.

Will try the phaal in the other Indians too.

You really do have to ask for it very spicy in pretty much every Asian restaurant. They don't believe any Irish person likes spicy food.

Probably seen too many macho men come in and ask for something hot only to spend the night downing pints of milk

Had the beef phaal in Tulsi last night. Proper heat this time and still very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i have a bottle of psycho juice at home, if your making your own curries or anything add some of this ..its hot hot

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/shop/hot-chilli-sauces/165/psycho-juice-70-ghost-pepper/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Had the Physco Juice in a bar in Bristol.

WOW, it is hot hot hot.

Hottest sauce I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

My sister grew her own ghost peppers last year :D
    Have half a jar of her sauce still in the fridge!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement