Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Just after placing an order with Hardwareversand.

Also, I find it ridiculous that they add on 3% for paypal. I know it's to cover the charges, but it ends up at another 20-30 euro for my build. Annoying that I need to pay extra for the convenience of paypal.

So, How exactly do I go about paying them? I have the bank details they gave me, I set up a bank transfer and that's it yeah?

Also, If anyone has any suggestions of places that might be cheaper, please give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's it. The "intended purpose" is tied to your order.

Note for you and anyone else though: The "intended purpose" is tied to that specific order, and not your account. I found this out the hard way when I re-used the stored details for a second purchase with them.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's it. The "intended purpose" is tied to your order.

Note for you and anyone else though: The "intended purpose" is tied to that specific order, and not your account. I found this out the hard way when I re-used the stored details for a second purchase with them.

I figured that's what it meant, but thanks for clarifying!

If I get the transfer in tomorrow, when should I expect it to be complete? The following friday?

If you send the money tomorrow, it'll probably hit them by Tuesday, dispatched by Wednesday, with you by the following Monday. Rough estimate.

If you send the money tomorrow, it'll probably hit them by Tuesday, dispatched by Wednesday, with you by the following Monday. Rough estimate.

That's a perfect time frame for me.

Hopefully they'll get the out of stock items in by then!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I can get my build for around the same price on dabs.ie as I can on Hardwareversand.

Am I better off buying from dabs or hardwareversand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Wing126 wrote: »
    I can get my build for around the same price on dabs.ie as I can on Hardwareversand.

Am I better off buying from dabs or hardwareversand?

How much are you spending? Usually the price difference is significant to be honest, and even moreso when you buy from HWVS via geizhals.de.

HWVS can be awkward to deal with if you need to sort out a return, but I've had nothing but good dealings with them over the past few years.

Gumbi wrote: »
    How much are you spending? Usually the price difference is significant to be honest, and even moreso when you buy from HWVS via geizhals.de.

HWVS can be awkward to deal with if you need to sort out a return, but I've had nothing but good dealings with them over the past few years.

826 on Dabs vs 830 on hardwareversand. Both include shipping.

I went with Dabs in the end. Saves me having to set up a bank transfer and they have all the parts in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If they have all the stock, then dabs seems the better choice. I've had stuff from them ship very quickly. Even at their fastest, HWV take longer.

Monotype wrote: »
    If they have all the stock, then dabs seems the better choice. I've had stuff from them ship very quickly. Even at their fastest, HWV take longer.

Aye, they did have all the stock in, so I went with them. HWV were missing some parts. The case, the network card and the RAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Does anybody know of any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin (preferably south) that sell computer components? Specifically SSDs.

I normally buy everything online, but I'm in a bit of a hurry as my laptop HDD is showing all the signs of being ready to fail any time now. I've a data backup, but I'd like to clone it to a new disk before it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Does anybody know of any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin (preferably south) that sell computer components? Specifically SSDs.

I normally buy everything online, but I'm in a bit of a hurry as my laptop HDD is showing all the signs of being ready to fail any time now. I've a data backup, but I'd like to clone it to a new disk before it fails.

Your best bet would be to go on adverts and see if anyonse selling one locally in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Your best bet would be to go on adverts and see if anyonse selling one locally in Dublin.

Cheers. I'd prefer something new so I just went with Komplett as usual. :) Hopefully it holds out until Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Huh, specialtech has closed?! And they spent ages working on their new site with only launched a month or two ago.

I know, it's mad. I always figured they'd do really well. They had by far the best selection of stuff, and pretty decent prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

With hardwareversand.de in trouble, I was looking at caseking.de as an alternative for a new GPU. Cheapest shipping to Ireland is via UPS at €18 or so and paypal surcharge is only €2. mindfactory.de charge €30 for delivery but prices are generally more competitive - not too surprising I suppose given that caseking own overclockers UK. Anybody got a preference for either retailer or is it just a case of go with the cheapest option? (I'm normally buy from one of the European amazon's, but they have no stock of the GPU I'm after).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cheapest option, both sound to buy from, dunno about returns for either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Cheapest option, both sound to buy from, dunno about returns for either

Cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Been pricing on afew sites the last couple days.

Uk sites seem expensive with the conversion, where else is good besides amazon.de ?

Mind factory.de and caseking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

computeruniverse.net looks pretty good and direct shipping is cheap too. Plus they take credit cards, or pay with Amazon/Paypal.

Also Dabs is actually pretty decent. Was looking at a new headset (Steelseries H Wireless). On Amazon it comes out at €320, Dabs have it for €278.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

thinking of getting a few i7 6700k , a few boardsies got some stuff off me in January, just wondering if theres interest again

Specs?

•Core i7-6700K: 4GHz to 4.2GHz; 8MB cache; 4 cores/8 threads
    Skylake-S

Ok, I'm confused. I was under the impression you were going to sell off some stuff for the new chip. That's what I was asking about.

I'm not pushed about Broadwell to be honest. Graphics performance is way up, but otherwise it's pretty damn similar to Haswell.

Ok, I'm confused. I was under the impression you were going to sell off some stuff for the new chip. That's what I was asking about.

I'm not pushed about Broadwell to be honest. Graphics performance is way up, but otherwise it's pretty damn similar to Haswell.

Pretty redundant upgrade in that case, Intel won't be flogging real upgrades until AMD catch up, at which time they'll leave them in the dust again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

levitronix wrote:
    thinking of getting a few i7 6700k , a few boardsies got some stuff off me in January, just wondering if theres interest again

What sort of money we talking? My current i7 is 5 year old now.

levitronix wrote: »

I missed "few". I thought you were thinking of picking one up for yourself. My bad.

I'll be skipping Broadwell (and probably Skylake too, if the rumours are true), but I might very well pick up a Skylake-equipped ultrabook. Should be the perfect processor for stuff like that.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    What sort of money we talking? My current i7 is 5 year old now.

about 75 euro below retail, maybe more haven't got pricing yet, dollar is really strong, will need 3 buyers to order like last time, its takes four days from order and money upfront not needed

Advertisement