Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay and Bald - Advice please!

• 07-04-2015 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Not a good combo.. believe me.

I'm a 27 year old guy with thinning hair on top. I've always had a high forehead so was always expecting to lose my hair at some point. Over the last 2 years I've noticed a big loss of hair to the point its very light & receding at the front and the crown. It's extremely upsetting as I'm sure it is for most men in my position.

I've confided in friends who tell me I look 'fine' especially when my hair is cut short. I was prescribed finasteride (propecia) a few months ago, which I took for a while but it completely ruined my sex life and greatly affected my mood. It also gave me migraine's which I'm still experiencing. I was warned of the side effects but told they were extremely rare.

Anyways, I've admitted defeat on the medication front but really do not want to let go and shave just yet. I've asked friends if I should shave and they tell me ''not yet, you still look great''. I'm quite upset because I do place alot of emphasis on my looks and how I present myself.

My question to you guys - hair transplant is an option as I could probably afford it but can anyone recommend it? I won't be able to afford Blackrock, but Therapie might be an option.I've had a consultation at both.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Really? Lots of guys I know are into the shaven headed guy look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But I had a crossed eye and got it fixed, so if you want to go for the surgery talk to your doctor and if alls OK- go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hair transplant isn't really an option in your case.

It's grand if someone is in their 40's or 50's and has been experiencing 'mature' hair loss slowly over the course of up to decades.

Whereas someone in their 20's who's suffering rapid male pattern baldness - if you get a hair transplant, you'll just keep loosing hair behind the point of transplants which will end up looking ridiculous.

Hair transplants on young males are only viable in conjunction with Finasteride.

Even then, I've taken it for years and thankfully no side effects and very little hair loss but even my consultant at Black Rock said he would be reluctant to do a hair transplant given my age (same as you).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My uncle works in the cosmetics industry, particularly with products regarding male hair loss. They say a cure is definitely possible within the near future, at most 5 years away. So just put up with it til then, you'll get your hair back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not sure if you have a beard but would you try growing one to see how it would look? I'm bald too but found when I grew a neat beard a few years ago, it completely redefined my facial shape/appearance and very much for the better! I get way more attention from guys now (I'm gay too...!!:)) even though I'm happily partnered but it's still nice to be admired.:D

Try not to view balding as such a catastrophic event as so many guys can and do really look good with or without hair. You are better cutting it tight rather than having a patch surrounded by thick hair. Obviously, if that's the advice you do not want to hear, then it is certainly your prerogative to spend 1000s on a measure that may not give guaranteed satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I have to agree with the guy above me, grow a beard.

I lost my hair on top very quickly in my early 20s, luckily I saw it coming and started shaving it so people are just used to seeing me bald now. My daughters and girlfriend have never seen me with hair. I shave my head everytime I'm in the shower, it never really has a chance to grow. Luckily a shaved head suits me, especially with a beard (if I do say so myself).

Shave it with a 2 blade and see what you think. If you don't like it, it will grow back in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

efb wrote: »
    Really? Lots of guys I know are into the shaven headed guy look

I'm gay and I only like guys with short/cropped hair or shaved/bald head.

Long hair (over 1 inch) and/or hair styles on guys is a big turn off for me.

Then again I am a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

I have to agree with the guy above me, grow a beard.

I lost my hair on top very quickly in my early 20s, luckily I saw it coming and started shaving it so people are just used to seeing me bald now. My daughters and girlfriend have never seen me with hair. I shave my head everytime I'm in the shower, it never really has a chance to grow. Luckily a shaved head suits me, especially with a beard (if I do say so myself).

Shave it with a 2 blade and see what you think. If you don't like it, it will grow back in a matter of weeks.

Can anyone recommend a good clippers that can b used in a the shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Liberate yourself from this anxiety and shave it! Do it!

It's a good look. Lots of very sexy men come to mind. A much better look than a bald patch or a bad transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

sadie06 wrote: »
    Liberate yourself from this anxiety and shave it! Do it!

It's a good look. Lots of very sexy men come to mind. A much better look than a bald patch or a bad transplant.

I think that gives a lot of men false hope. You're probably thinking of bald celebs who have great bone structure and are handsome and fit..most irish men I know who are at balding age(30+) are overweight and don't have faces to pull off the look regardless so being bald just makes them look even worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think that gives a lot of men false hope. You're probably thinking of bald celebs who have great bone structure and are handsome and fit..most irish men I know who are at balding age(30+) are overweight and don't have faces to pull off the look regardless so being bald just makes them look even worse

False hope? Really? I think grown adults know that if they don't have model looks before they shave their head, they are not going to afterwards!

I maintain that all the women I know would prefer a shaved head to the look of someone clinging on past the point of reason, or a bad hair-transplant.

I would also argue that clinging on can make a truly attractive guy less attractive. Zinedine Zidane being a case in point. Shaving his head was transformative of his looks. Yes, I know he has good features!

I just hate to hear this level of anxiety about something that can be embraced quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

My uncle works in the cosmetics industry, particularly with products regarding male hair loss. They say a cure is definitely possible within the near future, at most 5 years away. So just put up with it til then, you'll get your hair back

Please dear God let science improve with exponential rapidity. I can't afford 30k for a good quality hair transplant and I'm literally holding out for the whole process to become more affordable without compromising on quality

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They should be nearly 20% of the way there by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭snotboogie

sadie06 wrote: »

False hope? Really? I think grown adults know that if they don't have model looks before they shave their head, they are not going to afterwards!

I maintain that all the women I know would prefer a shaved head to the look of someone clinging on past the point of reason, or a bad hair-transplant.

I would also argue that clinging on can make a truly attractive guy less attractive. Zinedine Zidane being a case in point. Shaving his head was transformative of his looks. Yes, I know he has good features!

I just hate to hear this level of anxiety about something that can be embraced quite easily.

For the average balding guy, short and neat is the way to go. Comb overs never look good and blade zero's generally look good on guys with darker skin, low body fat and a good shaped head, all features most Irish men in their 30's aren't blessed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Not a good combo.. believe me.

I'm a 27 year old guy with thinning hair on top. I've always had a high forehead so was always expecting to lose my hair at some point. Over the last 2 years I've noticed a big loss of hair to the point its very light & receding at the front and the crown. It's extremely upsetting as I'm sure it is for most men in my position.

I've confided in friends who tell me I look 'fine' especially when my hair is cut short. I was prescribed finasteride (propecia) a few months ago, which I took for a while but it completely ruined my sex life and greatly affected my mood. It also gave me migraine's which I'm still experiencing. I was warned of the side effects but told they were extremely rare.

Anyways, I've admitted defeat on the medication front but really do not want to let go and shave just yet. I've asked friends if I should shave and they tell me ''not yet, you still look great''. I'm quite upset because I do place alot of emphasis on my looks and how I present myself.

My question to you guys - hair transplant is an option as I could probably afford it but can anyone recommend it? I won't be able to afford Blackrock, but Therapie might be an option.I've had a consultation at both.

I know what you are saying but obsessing on looks isnt the way to go.
    Its corny but true, but its the person on the inside that counts plus looks are subjective. Some will find you attractive just as you are, others wont, thats just life. Look around and you will see all sorts of people together that you wouldn't perhaps expect.

I would concentrate on your confidence and self image. Learn how to be at peace with yourself. Believe me, a confident man is an attractive man, through in humour and just "nice", and that is a winning combination far more than than looks.

Go to the gym, dress well and that will help also, but most of all learn to to accept yourself and then others will

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DavidKeane

I'd echo several of the other posts- shave it and see how it goes from there- maybe a #1 or #2 first and take if from there. The shaved look suits some people and it doesn't suit others but if you're going bald then you might as well try and see how it looks. Regardless, stressing over it certainly won't change the situation. I'd definitely prefer a guy with a shaved head rather than balding but trying to hold onto it. Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Feel your pain op I'm seriously considering taking that finesteraide but freaked at the side effects. How soon did u notice them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I've a full head of hair. I think if I shaved my head and put a ring in my nose I'd get more offers than I do now. I like to shave my hair as it saves me a fortune and I kinda like doing it myself. I've done the 'upsidedown face' look for a while, you know , no hair on top and beard on the bottom. I've actually let it grow again just on top but it's a hassle all that shampooing and checking it in the mirror before you go out. As someone said earlier, it's what's on the inside of your wallet what counts so I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least you'll have more wonga in your wallet with savings on trims and hair products.

Advertisement