Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second maternity leave

• 21-07-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 26 muffinman11

Does anyone know how long you have to be back at work before being entitled to second maternity leave? I work for the hse and am on maternity leave at the min. I get paid maternity benefit from the government and that gets topped up by the hse. Just wondering if I got pregnant again soon after returning to work would I be entitled to the same again? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I returned to work after my maternity leave first time (six months paid, 16 weeks unpaid and some annual leave) and I was about four/five months pregnant. I had informed HR and my manager before I returned and had the same entitlements as first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Does anyone know how long you have to be back at work before being entitled to second maternity leave? I work for the hse and am on maternity leave at the min. I get paid maternity benefit from the government and that gets topped up by the hse. Just wondering if I got pregnant again soon after returning to work would I be entitled to the same again? Thanks

I went straight from one maternity leave to the other. So long as you don't take unprotected unpaid leave (I think) HSE will pay no matter how long u are back. I went from paid mat to protected paid mat to protected parental leave straight back on to fully paid mat leave without going back at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 muffinman11

Do you work in the hse? That sounds great I didn't think I'd be entitled to it straight away again. Don't want to phone hr as I know the girls who work there!

Not in the HSE but I know people who work there and were in the same position as me regarding ML.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I went straight from one maternity leave to the other. So long as you don't take unprotected unpaid leave (I think) HSE will pay no matter how long u are back. I went from paid mat to protected paid mat to protected parental leave straight back on to fully paid mat leave without going back at all.

I Will be taking the 16 weeks unpaid leave at the end of maternity leave and then annual leave holidays I'll be made use at the end. Wonder will taking the unpaid leave be a problem with me being entitled to it all again as I'm Guessing it doesn't count as me being in work?

• Advertisement

The unpaid maternity leave is taken because you're on maternity leave already, so its taken as part of maternity leave rather than standard unpaid leave. And then if you take annual leave at the end you're back in the system as a paid employee.

lazygal wrote: »
    The unpaid maternity leave is taken because you're on maternity leave already, so its taken as part of maternity leave rather than standard unpaid leave. And then if you take annual leave at the end you're back in the system as a paid employee.

OK, so if I went back to work a couple of months pregnant by the time I leave again I should be entitled to maternity benefit again which would be topped up by work? Thanks for your help

OK, so if I went back to work a couple of months pregnant by the time I leave again I should be entitled to maternity benefit again which would be topped up by work? Thanks for your help
    Yes, that's how it worked for me. And for people I know in the HSE.

lazygal wrote: »
    Yes, that's how it worked for me. And for people I know in the HSE.

Great to know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would have this 100% Clear as you don't want to lose out.
    I am a teacher and I only found out recently that the 16 weeks optional unpaid is considered a 'break in service'. Parental leave is not considered a break in service though ;) (I think this is what sligo1 was referring too).

Tbh I would email HR, The Gov have cut our sick leave etc so much I would get it in writing ;)
    I work with teachers who go from one maternity leave to the next the whole time (and are never on the premises) but I know they have a bit of sick leave in there as well and are on payroll for the summer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Holly Mammoth Adventurer

I work for a semi state body and was pregnant with my second baby when my first was only 3 months. When my maternity leave was up with the first, I went on sick leave because of back problems which were exacerbated by pregnancy. So I didn't go back and went straight from sick leave into maternity leave with the second baby. I was worried that I wouldn't get paid from work but thankfully I had no problems.

Millem wrote: »
    I am a teacher and I only found out recently that the 16 weeks optional unpaid is considered a 'break in service'. Parental leave is not considered a break in service though ;) (I think this is what sligo1 was referring too).

Tbh I would email HR, The Gov have cut our sick leave etc so much I would get it in writing ;)
    I work with teachers who go from one maternity leave to the next the whole time (and are never on the premises) but I know they have a bit of sick leave in there as well and are on payroll for the summer ;)
    There is a way around this 'break in service' rule, I think you can contact HR or whoever is the relevant person and organise to continue to pay PRSI. I did something similar on my first but I can't remember what it was, because I knew I'd be back to work pregnant and wanted to make sure I didn't loose out.

I think the whole thing is prsi? Paid Sick leave/parental leave/holidays don't affect breaks in prsi. Unpaid maternity means breaks in prsi....in order for you to get paid on your next pregnancy you need a certain number of weeks of prsi.
    I only worked something like 10 days of my whole pregnancy and then went straight in maternity leave but that was under only sick leave rules :( I have since signed up for that corn market income protection.

OP, I work for the HSE. Unpaid maternity leave is protected leave whereas a career break or normal unpaid leave is not.

Unpaid maternity leave or parental leave is not classified as a break in service. If you take either of these leaves you are still entitled to full maternity pay.

If you want to clarify this without going to your own HR department you could always contact citizens advise (they might be able to help)?

Sligo1 it must be different for hse...we had cornmarket into us at work. My friend who took unpaid maternity leave was told it is break in service and has now affected her retirement age (by a year). If we take unpaid maternity right up to summer hols we won't get paid all summer :( but if we take parental/normal maternity (which I did) we will get paid all summer :)

Sligo1 it must be different for hse...we had cornmarket into us at work. My friend who took unpaid maternity leave was told it is break in service and has now affected her retirement age (by a year). If we take unpaid maternity right up to summer hols we won't get paid all summer :( but if we take parental/normal maternity (which I did) we will get paid all summer :)

Its definitely different in the hse Millem :).

Its definitely different in the hse Millem :).

That is very unfair on us :( sure god only knows what our retirement age will be :rolleyes:

That is very unfair on us :( sure god only knows what our retirement age will be :rolleyes:
    Yes it is unfair. My mother works in a school and I know she said maternity leave works different for them than hse workers. I feel Lucky to be working there and getting full pay on maternity leave. My sister only works for a small company and they won't top up her pay so she will only get maternity benefit while off with baby. I would find it hard to live on that amount for 6 months. And Defo don't think I'd be planning number 2 baby so soon cos wouldn't be able to afford it!

The best thing is get it in an email from your work. Then you will have it in writing. If it is a break I wouldn't take it but take parental instead. My friend is pregnant again and due in feb if she takes the unpaid she will have to work an extra year than me which is shocking!There is a thread on it on another website!

The best thing is get it in an email from your work. Then you will have it in writing. If it is a break I wouldn't take it but take parental instead. My friend is pregnant again and due in feb if she takes the unpaid she will have to work an extra year than me which is shocking!There is a thread on it on another website!

I don't really think you need an email tbh. And Op doesn't want to consult work on this yet I think. But there is a maternity leave policy that is avaliable to all HSE workers. OP, you should have access to this policy and depending what department you work in will depend on where you can access it in hardback or soft copy. Have a read of it and it will tell you your entitlements. Unpaid maternity leave in the HSE is definitely not classified as a break in service. Nor is parental leave. Again, the best place to ask this would be HR. If you don't want to contact your own HR department ring up a HR department in a different hospital and just ask them what their policy is regarding this. It will probably be the same if both hospitals are ran and owned by the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I would also think long and hard about using up parental leave instead of unpaid maternity. Once that's gone that's it and it might come in useful down the line if you needed a shorter working week or during summer when child in school. It's a big decision to use it up when baby is only 6 months

I don't really think you need an email tbh. And Op doesn't want to consult work on this yet I think. But there is a maternity leave policy that is avaliable to all HSE workers. OP, you should have access to this policy and depending what department you work in will depend on where you can access it in hardback or soft copy. Have a read of it and it will tell you your entitlements. Unpaid maternity leave in the HSE is definitely not classified as a break in service. Nor is parental leave. Again, the best place to ask this would be HR. If you don't want to contact your own HR department ring up a HR department in a different hospital and just ask them what their policy is regarding this. It will probably be the same if both hospitals are ran and owned by the HSE.
    I have the hse policy but it doesn't say anything about second pregnancy and if you have to be working a certain amount before you can take a second leave. For parental leave it does say …time spent on parental leave is deemed time worked. I do not want to use parental leave all in one go after my maternity leave. I am hoping to use it after as one day off a week so that I can still spend time with my little one and also to cut down on childcare costs. Although I know I'll be getting paid less. Hopefully I'll be given permission to do this. It's all so confusing. I'd really love to not work at all but unfortunately that's not an option.

I have the hse policy but it doesn't say anything about second pregnancy and if you have to be working a certain amount before you can take a second leave. For parental leave it does say …time spent on parental leave is deemed time worked. I do not want to use parental leave all in one go after my maternity leave. I am hoping to use it after as one day off a week so that I can still spend time with my little one and also to cut down on childcare costs. Although I know I'll be getting paid less. Hopefully I'll be given permission to do this. It's all so confusing. I'd really love to not work at all but unfortunately that's not an option.

No it doesn't state those specific questions you have regarding second pregnancies etc but it should state that unpaid maternity leave is protected leave and you will still accrue all your entitlements during this time :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem Id recommend checking up on that with the department of education/ETB because Cornmarket have given a lot of incorrect info to teachers. If it is correct I'd be emailing every TD in my area and the minister himself looking for information as to why the situation is different for teachers than nurses!

Millem Id recommend checking up on that with the department of education/ETB because Cornmarket have given a lot of incorrect info to teachers. If it is correct I'd be emailing every TD in my area and the minister himself looking for information as to why the situation is different for teachers than nurses!

Not just nurses Mirrowall... Nearly every profession in the HSE. Nurses, physios, OTs, HCAs, and all the rest...

Probably Gardai aswell in the public sector???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I recall being told once that unpaid maternity leave is only seen as a break in service for those on temporary contracts... That was hse, not for a teacher though!

jlm29 wrote: »
    I recall being told once that unpaid maternity leave is only seen as a break in service for those on temporary contracts... That was hse, not for a teacher though!

When was this? I dont think unpaid maternity leave has been seen to be a break in service for those on temporary contracts in the HSE... not in the last 10 years anyway. Those on temporary contracts have the same entitlements to those on permanent contracts when it comes to maternity leave.

It's not 10 years ago I heard it, but it could have been 5 or 6 I suppose! And there's a possibility I was talking to someone with a 5yr old child! I cannot remember the details!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jlm29 wrote: »
    It's not 10 years ago I heard it, but it could have been 5 or 6 I suppose! And there's a possibility I was talking to someone with a 5yr old child! I cannot remember the details!

Hi all,

I hope it's ok to bring up an old thread because I am in a similar situation, can anyone confirm if the additional 16 weeks unpaid maternity leave is considered a break in service if working for the hse on a temporary rolling contract?

• Advertisement

I don't know, but I'd say the best thing you could do would be to ring your local hr, or better still, email them so you have a response in writing!

Advertisement