Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should euthanasia be allowed in Ireland and if so with what circumstances, if any?

• 27-07-2015 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

What is your opinion of the topic outlined in the title of the thread? My personal opinion is that euthanasia should be allowed for any person regardless of age if that person has a 0% chance of survival or getting better. There was a woman from Belgium that was given the go ahead to have euthanasia, for being depressed for most of her life and being in a mental institution for over three years. I personally think that the doctors tried to help her with her illness, however she still felt this way after a long period of attempted treatment and should be given the option of euthanasia. I will be sad that there was nothing that the doctors could have done to helped her before she got euthanasia, but I am happy that she got her request. This furthers the question as if Ireland should have laws like this for non-terminal illnesses such as depression (although suicide is terminal, it in itself is not depression), should people under a certain age be allowed to have euthanasia and should euthanasia be legal at all? This may go up for a referendum and if it did, do you think it would pass or fail? I think it would be passed after several recent cases of terminally ill patients in Ireland being refused the "right to die", however

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi OP,

I'm closing this as this is not the forum for such a discussion. Perhaps this in Humanities would interest you.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement