Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to be pregnant and test negative?

• 09-06-2015 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Apologies for the weird post. I'd have answered myself with a no but I can't explain this any other way than I feel incredibly pregnant despite never being pregnant before.

I had my last period on April 27th.

I have been sleeping with my ex boyfriend, I'm not on the pill, he pulls out. I wasn't aware of any time where there was a grey area where there could have been a risk.

Anyway, we slept together a few times during the last month.

It didn't occur to me that pregnancy might be a possibility until last week when my period which should have been due around May 26 was late. (I'm never regular but I'm also never this late) So, I bought 2 x cheapo tesco tests on my way home from work on Friday, I did one - negative. Put the other away and breathed a sigh of relief.

Aside from this up until a few weeks ago I had been on a really good food/health buzz. The last 10 days I have been falling asleep on the sofa every night when I come home from work (something I haven't done in years) and then waking up in the middle of the night for hours. I put it down to a mad night out 2 weekends ago that I never caught up on. My whole healthy eating buzz and exercise regime has just become impossible. All I want to do is eat magnums (and I don't normally eat much chocolate or ice cream). My areolas are darker but I've been doing some sunbeds so that is explained otherwise. I'm gassy and I was bloated but not so much the last day or so. I have been saying to my mam how off I've been feeling and she said "I hope you're not pregnant". So, I did the second test on Sunday and negative again.

I'm 34 and a pregnancy wouldn't be ideal in my current situation...at all.

Is it unusual to feel pregnant and not be? Is it possible to get false negatives?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you've had unprotected sex you could be pregnant. Go to the GP and get bloods done if you're unsure about tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It's unusual but not impossible. Get a first response test, they can detect lower HGC levels or get a blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

It is best to do the test first thing in the morning for a clearer result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

If your periods are usually regular, I think if I were you, I'd go to the doctor and ask for a blood test for peace of mind. There are some reasons why you could be pregnant but getting negative tests - for example, with certain ectopic pregnancies (depending on location and size), you might get negative pregnancy tests but the HCG will show up in the blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shelly87

Hi,
    Sorry but I'm slightly freaking out. I am 10 days late and have had 3 negative pregnancy tests. I have no symptoms except I am slightly bloated and have cramps just like before my period? Surely 3 pregnancy tests couldn't be all negative could they? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If you're having sex there is always a chance you could be pregnant... you could have ovulated later than you normally did and hence your tests aren't showing up positive yet.

Wait a few more days and then test again with your first morning urine.

Advertisement