Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Receeding hairline and frontal balding

• 03-12-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there any products that actually work for the above problem, I'm 28 and my hair is thinning and has bald patches at the front and hairline receeding. I was looking up regaine and kirkland minoxidil but apparently they only work for balding at the centre and back of head for some reason and not effective at the front.

But then I read on another thread here that someone was using the minoxidil 5% stuff and it worked for him at the front.

Any ideas and suggestions please, I am not going to shave my hair off yet as it wood just look awful and would never suit me.

This is really getting me down. Does anyone know if this product helps or works?

http://www.biovea.com/ie/product_detail.aspx?PID=219&OS=204&KW=kirkland%20minoxidil&cp=4&NAME=MINOXIDIL-5-FOR-MEN-6-x-60ml-Bottles-6-Month-Supply-GENERIC-REGAINE

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is so done to death at this stage, there should nearly be a sticky!

Minoxodil works everywhere, just that testing was only conducted on certain areas so they can't legally say it works everywhere.

However, since you're suffering Male Pattern Baldness, Minoxodil will not really help - it's more for slowly receding hairlines.

The only thing that's really going to help with MPB is Finasteride - in most people it severely slows down loss or halts it altogether (but it has fairly serious side effects in something like 2-5% of men). It's presciption only but it's cheap - but not every GP with prescribe it, but somewhere like the Blackrock Clinic in Dublin or similar places will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 b mac donncha

Hi there, I have a problem with thinning hair and its also beginning to recede. Just wondering if you can buy minoxidil 5mg in boots or other pharmacies instead of the brand name Regaine. I tried to buy it online a few months ago but it was confiscated by customs as it was imported from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

Well Lads, I've only just registered here and noticed a few threads about hair treatment. I tried them all, Rogaine especially. Rogaine was ok and I noticed that my hair wasn't falling out anymore, but regrowth was minimal. I was talking to my doctor about it and I was after doing my research, he even commented as to how well I knew the hair treatments out there.

To be honest, I 've never used anything quite like finasteride (marketed as Proscar), that he prescribed. I pay approx. €24 for a 3 month supply. The pills are 5 mg and all I am supposed to take is a quarter of the tablet, of which I do (cut pills into quarters). They are the best thing ever! I'm 2 year taking them, I have no side effects. I only recently started chatting to someone who told me they too were taking these pills. He didn't mention any side effects. My hair is growing mad. Its not a miracle pill, by any means. My hair is just more noticeable and the shedding has stopped and regrowth started ages ago.

I'd be careful of these over the counter "solutions", that are provided. They're expensive and I think, like myself, its trial and error for a lot of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Finasteride is a dodgy drug its not even licensed in Ireland for hair loss.

Advertisement