Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could our dreams be really inter-dimensional astral travel?

• 21-05-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Contemplating Aristotle

When we go to sleep at night, we have the most remarkable dreams. The places we visit seem so real to us, it is as if we are there, alive and living life as if we were living it in the here and now. According to some quantum physics theories we live in a multiverse, an infinite cluster of universes, some of which criss-cross our own universe, and even planet.

Scientist Michio Kaku has even suggested that there may be dinosaurs from another world roaming in our living rooms. So considering that the conscious mind resides outside of three dimensional space, and that other universes, other existences could be right before us, yet invincible, is it conceivable that we visit these places in our dreams, when we tune out of the three dimensional world at night?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aaa... ok!
    Thanks for that.

After Hours will now return back to normal.
    Commence with the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

how do you know you're not just daydreaming right now? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I'm dreaming of reading a good thread right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

What seems most likely to you OP?

Slow down, I'm just getting used to the Orwellian supposition that 2+2=5.
    I'll go ask my Big Brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No, dreams are just your brain defragging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Firing neurons that your brain tries to make sense of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Mutiverse schmutiverse. That's a form of science on the edge of religiosity. Better not to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

I'm a lying bastard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Reporter: And how heavy is that gold around your necks?

Fairchild: Scott, this may be solid gold, but to us it's lighter than air, because dreams never weigh you down.

Stranz: No. Dreams are in your sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I hope not as that means I really did bang Anne Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Scientist Michio Kaku has even suggested that there may be dinosaurs from another world roaming in our living rooms. So considering that the conscious mind resides outside of three dimensional space, and that other universes, other existences could be right before us, yet invincible, is it conceivable that we visit these places in our dreams, when we tune out of the three dimensional world at night?

I saw that episode of the Universe recently. Speaking of Kaku, a friend of mine, who is a physicist, said Kaku lied about string theory on Conan recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I hope so, then I can claim to have fucked so many more beautifull women 'in real life' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Scientist Michio Kaku has even suggested that there may be dinosaurs from another world roaming in our living rooms.

He was never the same after that mental breakdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Of course they could.
    However, they're probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dreams are just thoughts but they happen when we're asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What ever about there being a multiverse of some kind, you're also implying that we have some psychic ability to pick up on this overlap which is a bit much. Dreams are just junk fomenting in your mind while you rest. I think a person can tell something from a dream in a vague kind of way, and why not, it's stuff coming straight from their own mind. But that theory is just kind of stupid to me. Nice but silly.

I think the OP has been watching Fringe too much and taking it serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No way is it possible that in another universe i'm riding Rhianna every night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

is it conceivable that we visit these places in our dreams, when we tune out of the three dimensional world at night?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

The OP is getting confused between 'many worlds theory' and other multiverse suggestions.

FYI, Kaku is a highly credible theoretical physicist (he is one of the founders of String Field theory) but he does like to sensationalize things sometimes. Please don't get too carried away with some of the more creative examples he uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Could our dreams be really inter-dimensional astral travel?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Defo. Dreams and astral planes are totally related.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

When we go to sleep at night, we have the most remarkable dreams. The places we visit seem so real to us, it is as if we are there, alive and living life as if we were living it in the here and now. According to some quantum physics theories we live in a multiverse, an infinite cluster of universes, some of which criss-cross our own universe, and even planet.

You've obviously never had a dream where you're in work. There's nothing very astral about it. It's crap waking up and having to go to work all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 texas sinkhole fan 226

I don't even know what this board is for, but I signed up just to reply to this post. A lot of people are scoffing at this this idea without any thought or good argument. The original author presents a hypothesis that is worded in a new agey way, but for all intensive purposes is quite correct. While scientifically it has not been proven that dreams are more than random brain activity, there are plenty of cultures and religions that do propose that dreams are not only significant but are in fact extensions of reality, or a gateway to the spiritual world. That's not my argument however. I am not a religious person, yet I have always believed that dreams were real. However, that is purely because there is no effective difference whether the contents of dreams are "real" (to science) or not; because we perceive them. The practicality of it is that as you dream you receive sensory data from the same sensory areas that you interpret the waking world with. If you experience a dream that is real feeling, how is that not your realty at that time? Just because there is no quantifiable physical travel during sleep, does not mean that the mental construct that is yourself is not traveling. I will even take this a step further and argue that since the experience is real for the individual, and in dreams there is typically a different setting than your bedroom, then those places may be best described as other dimensions. To me dreams are exactly what the original author states. Science is great at explaining physical properties and functions in the universe, but notoriously bad at defining the human experience. It's the wrong tool for the job, and in this case is irrelevant. Hate away, I'm sure I'll never check this again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Dreams are like angels, they keep bad at bay (bad at bay), love is the light scaring darkness away-ee-ayy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't even know what this board is for, but I signed up just to reply to this post. A lot of people are scoffing at this this idea without any thought or good argument. The original author presents a hypothesis that is worded in a new agey way, but for all intensive purposes is quite correct. While scientifically it has not been proven that dreams are more than random brain activity, there are plenty of cultures and religions that do propose that dreams are not only significant but are in fact extensions of reality, or a gateway to the spiritual world. That's not my argument however. I am not a religious person, yet I have always believed that dreams were real. However, that is purely because there is no effective difference whether the contents of dreams are "real" (to science) or not; because we perceive them. The practicality of it is that as you dream you receive sensory data from the same sensory areas that you interpret the waking world with. If you experience a dream that is real feeling, how is that not your realty at that time? Just because there is no quantifiable physical travel during sleep, does not mean that the mental construct that is yourself is not traveling. I will even take this a step further and argue that since the experience is real for the individual, and in dreams there is typically a different setting than your bedroom, then those places may be best described as other dimensions. To me dreams are exactly what the original author states. Science is great at explaining physical properties and functions in the universe, but notoriously bad at defining the human experience. It's the wrong tool for the job, and in this case is irrelevant. Hate away, I'm sure I'll never check this again!:D
    Reminds me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I don't even know what this board is for...
    You and me both buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hmmmm, intensive purposes, the best kind.

Advertisement