Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wife rear-ended!

Options
  • 13-01-2015 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

First time we've had an accident so not too sure on the procedure. Wife was rear-ended on her way home from work. Thankfully I'd put a tow bar on the car as it saved the other car hitting the boot lid. Back bumper is full of hairline cracks and slightly out of place so presuming clips broken. No other damage than the bumper thankfully. I'll get a quote tomorrow on a new bumper and to get it painted and will give the other driver the option paying or going through insurance.

Guards were called and incident recorded. My wife took his details etc so which insurance company do we inform or wait till he says he'll pay us directly or not before we ring insurance companies? Don't want to be too hard on the guy at the same time as it's not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

Her car is a Ford Focus II btw if it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

renofan wrote: »
    First time we've had an accident so not too sure on the procedure. Wife was rear-ended on her way home from work. Thankfully I'd put a tow bar on the car as it saved the other car hitting the boot lid. Back bumper is full of hairline cracks and slightly out of place so presuming clips broken. No other damage than the bumper thankfully. I'll get a quote tomorrow on a new bumper and to get it painted and will give the other driver the option paying or going through insurance.

Guards were called and incident recorded. My wife took his details etc so which insurance company do we inform or wait till he says he'll pay us directly or not before we ring insurance companies? Don't want to be too hard on the guy at the same time as it's not a nice thing to happen to anyone.

Her car is a Ford Focus II btw if it helps.
    Contact insurance company regardless and pass on details. People often don't want to pay when they get the bill. You can still settle between each other and cancel the claim.

Regardless of the obvious damage get the car on a ramp and properly checked. There could be more damage to the same panel behind the bumper, the boot floor and whatever the hitch is attached to. It may also have been bent itself in the impact. You'd be surprised what you'd find when you go looking.

The car needs to be checked by someone who knows what they are looking for.
    Was it the milkman ?
    USELESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Check towbar fittings that they havn't been buckled by the impact and bent the chassis.

As above car needs to be fully checked out to see what the damage is, could be lots of damage under the bumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Had a good look under the car and all seems ok. Took out trim in the boot and also the carpet. Everything is fine. No buckles or bent metal. She was hit in stop/start traffic going through Blessington so speed wasn't too high. Driver was probably not paying enough attention. Will ring insurance companies in the morning so. Tow bar isn't bent. Boot lines up perfect, can open and close it no problem and not hitting anything so I'm happy enough it's just the bumper but will take a better look tomorrow underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

You might want to re-phrase the title of your thread.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Inform your insurance but deal with the other parties as much as you can. If you're near renewal with an open claim you'll lose your NCD while it's all sorted out even if it's not you fault.

Find out who the at fault party's insurance uses for bodywork and get someone who is also on your insurer's list.

Worked for me recently, all sorted with only a few days in a courtesy car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dude.... That title is misleading,

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Dude.... That title is misleading,

But strangely interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Am to immature for this sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Maybe a pic of said rear end would help?? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I would get profesionally checked.
    If I am not mistaken the tow bar is connected onto the subframe.
    Give that a tap and ,altough the everything seems ok, it could have moved it a good bit.
    Come NCT time and you could be facing a nasty surprise not too mention eating through tyres.

Let the other insurer know you want to have it checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring your own insurance company to let them handle it. It is what you pay them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Contact your own insurance to let them know the car was hit. Tell them you're just notifying them, not making a claim.

Take you car to a professional to get the damage assessed. You'll need to do that anyway top get a quote. Once you have a quote, you can let the other driver know the amount, and give them the option of paying themselves ot having it go through their insurance. If they give you any hassle, just get onto their insurance direct. Bear in mind that you might have car hire costs while your car is being repaired, so factor those into the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

renofan wrote: »

Guards were called and incident recorded.

recorded on the back of the garda's sandwich wrapper perhaps...seriously though, don't expect much help from the Gardai on incidents like this. Unless someone was injured they tend to leave it to 'civil remedy' AKA: Sort it out among yourselves.

It's great that the other driver has offered to cough up the money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

As my wife often tells me, I can still be immature at times! Title was done as purpose for the craic! :pac:
    recorded on the back of the garda's sandwich wrapper perhaps...seriously though, don't expect much help from the Gardai on incidents like this. Unless someone was injured they tend to leave it to 'civil remedy' AKA: Sort it out among yourselves.

It's great that the other driver has offered to cough up the money..

Only reported to Guards as, 1) it happened outside the Garda Barracks in Blessington so would have been rude not to inform them!, and 2), as the driver had "no" english, (was not an Irish driver), at least we have it on record and have an incident/case number.

Thanks for all the advice btw! Won't rush into sorting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

same happened to me last night, stopped at roundabout and rear ended. was leixlip so different incident.

But always inform your insurance company, even if you are planing on dealing with it privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

At least her back door wasn't smashed in.... :p

OP I'd tell the insurance regardless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There are so many horror stories of people involved in accidents, not their fault and they get skinned come renewal time and other companies refusing to quote them, I'd say the less the bastards know the better.
    This does of course depend on circumstances. If I was hit from behind, no major damage and I was OK I wouldn't bother my hole telling the insurance companies if the other guy paid up or fixed my car. As a rule they will use any information gained only for one purpose: to butt fcuk the policy holder.
    If the car was relatively new, still worth a good bit of money and you're planning to sell it on, then it could be a good idea.
    Other than that, insurance companies are about as trustworthy and interested in the customers welfare as the STASI and the same rules apply: don't tell the bastards anything until they break out the thumbscrews.

There are so many horror stories of people involved in accidents, not their fault and they get skinned come renewal time and other companies refusing to quote them, I'd say the less the bastards know the better.
    This does of course depend on circumstances. If I was hit from behind, no major damage and I was OK I wouldn't bother my hole telling the insurance companies if the other guy paid up or fixed my car. As a rule they will use any information gained only for one purpose: to butt fcuk the policy holder.
    If the car was relatively new, still worth a good bit of money and you're planning to sell it on, then it could be a good idea.
    Other than that, insurance companies are about as trustworthy and interested in the customers welfare as the STASI and the same rules apply: don't tell the bastards anything until they break out the thumbscrews.
    I've reported 2 bumps I've had. Neither resulted in damage I wanted to pursue but I was very careful to close the claims off once I was satisfied there was going to be no claim.

I've never had any issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I've reported 2 bumps I've had. Neither resulted in damage I wanted to pursue but I was very careful to close the claims off once I was satisfied there was going to be no claim.

I've never had any issue.

I would say unless there's going to be major repair bills, rental cars and possible injuries claims, I wouldn't bother.
    If you report it, nothing happening is the best possible outcome, but it is also possible that they use the information as ammo against you. No point doing something that will at best makes no difference and at worst will screw up renewal

• Advertisement

I would say unless there's going to be major repair bills, rental cars and possible injuries claims, I wouldn't bother.
    If you report it, nothing happening is the best possible outcome, but it is also possible let that they use the information as ammo against you, be it due to incompetence or wi

Due to incompetence I'd certainly agree with. The call center folk generally haven't much of a clue. I don't think it is generally done or purpose or to try and squeeze more money out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

biko wrote: »
    Ring your own insurance company to let them handle it. It is what you pay them for.

You are obliged to notify your insurer alright. However, they are not going to chase the other party on your behalf unless you claim on your own policy and it is part of their recovery of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Goes to show we should all protect our rear ends with a tow bar, otherwise the impact could destroy our crumple zone.

Advertisement