Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

$ $ $ CAO offers - how they work! $ $ $

• 14-08-2013 12:23am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

(Round 1 offers - 19th August 2013)

Guys, can I suggest people have a look at the offers section (page 21 onwards) of the CAO handbook over the next few days ...

*** link here ***

I'm sure some of you know it by heart by now, but there are still people popping up questions that show they don't understand how the system works.

In particular, this bit (page 22) is core to the way the CAO system works, yet seems to cause confusion ...

Offer of highest preference

You will be offered a place in the highest of your course preferences to which you are entitled (if any).

This will be done, independently, in respect of Level 8 and Level 7/Level 6 choices.

You may, therefore, receive two offers at the same time; one for the highest Level 8 preference to which you are entitled and the other for the highest Level 7/Level 6 preference to which you are entitled.

Exclusion from lower preferences

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.

Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

Non-acceptance of subsequent offers

Having accepted an offer of a place, you are not obliged to accept a subsequent offer. You may retain the original offer simply by ignoring the subsequent one.

Vacant places

See the CAO website - vacant places

Link to CAO log-in page ... log into your CAO account here!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some useful Q&A posts copied from previous CAO threads (some edited / shortened slightly) ... please read, your question may have been answered!!

YodaBoy wrote: »
    What happens of you accept an offer low down on the list, then you get your points boosted in a recheck; by the time you got the updated results you would already have started in college... Do you have to take a higher offer if you get it or is the course already filled up when you get the rechrcked results??
    If you did go up in points and get offered the higher course, it depends on the course as to what they do. Some courses will only take you the following year, so if you accept it they will hold a place for you next year. Other courses leave spaces for people who go up in rechecks.

Victoria. wrote: »
    Does the CAO sort by matriculation requirements too?
    Say if you didn't get a required grade for maths but you got enough points would it offer you that course solely on points so you wouldn't be offered another one or would it take the maths into account?
    No, you will be offered the highest ranked course to which you are entitled ... if there is a requirement for a C3 in maths for a course, for example, and you only get a D, you will not be offered that course even if you have the points.

LouiseZ wrote: »
    Say you got offered your second choice course, and you accepted that offer, if the points for your first choice course drop in the second round and due to that points drop you get in, can you still get offered a place on your first choice course?
    ...even if you've accepted the second choice course...I should probably know this..:rolleyes:
    pathway33 wrote: »
    Yes provided you meet the matriculation requirements as well as the points.

You can go up on the CAO but the CAO will never let you go down.

Golden rule: 'The only way is up'

Say you got 500 points and your first choice in round 1 was 505 and your second choice was 495 then you get your second choice providing you also meet the matriculation requirements (e.g OC3 in maths which you satisfy by getting an OC1)

In the second round you will get your first choice if it drops to 500 and you get pulled out on random selection or if it drops to below 500. That's providing your first choice does not have an entry requirement like OB3 in maths because you only got an OC1. In this case you have the points but not the entry requirement and so stick on your round 1 offer. If you had your OB3 in maths then your first choice is yours if you wish

if you accept a course this year, then after one year decide you don't like it, how can you change course? is it based on leaving cert points 2010 or on university exams from your first year?
    If you reapply through the CAO for a completely different course, you're applying with all the current leaving certs so it goes on whatever the required points are in that year, not what it was when you did the LC.

If you just want to change course without changing university and without going back and repeating first year, you should contact the university to see what they can do for you. For example, doing first year marine science and wanting to move into environmental sci (provided the 1st year courses are the same, as they are for a lot of sciences). You MAY have to repeat first year if the courses have different first year modules.

If you're changing university but staying in the same type of course, eg, doing 1st year science or something like that but wanting to do second year of the same course somewhere else, you apply for a transfer. You must have the points that were required in the year you started the course, eg, if you take science in NUIG for 350 points, and Trinity was 450, if you didn't have the 450 in the first place you can't transfer. You also have to meet the other transfer requirements set out by the university, most require that you pass your first year college exams, fill out an application form and write a personal statement.

Theres also the issue of paying fees if you reapply through the CAO and enter 1st year for the 2nd time, whether in a different uni or not. You must pay the fees for 1st year of the course. If a transfer is approved, and you go direct from 1st year in one uni to 2nd year in another, you don't pay fees.

lallychops wrote: »
    how do you actually accept offers? do you go into the cao website and accept there??
    On the day of the offers, you log into your cao account. You'll have 2 boxes, 1 for level 8 and 1 for level 7, saying what course you've been accepted, the college and the course number. There'll be an "accept" button beside it, click it and thats it! :)

You also get it by post (the same day I think?) so you can fill out that form and send it back, but the quicker and easier way is online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Is there a TL;DR version? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Is there a TL;DR version? :pac:

Tl;dr the order in which you make your CAO list should be based on what course you want the most, not how many points you reckon each course will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lemonglasses

because of finances my circumstances have changed , i may not be able to afford my first choice. with my points im almost sure i have my first choice but would it be possible for me to turn it down and get my second or third choice as they are closer to home and cheaper accommodation wise etc. or could i end up with something i dont want, i hope this makes sense!
    any help would be really appreciated thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

because of finances my circumstances have changed , i may not be able to afford my first choice. with my points im almost sure i have my first choice but would it be possible for me to turn it down and get my second or third choice as they are closer to home and cheaper accommodation wise etc. or could i end up with something i dont want, i hope this makes sense!
    any help would be really appreciated thank you :)

I don't want my first choice but I think we just have to reapply next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EveNicole

So say if you get maybe like your 3rd or 4th choice and you accept that, could you still be offered another one of your level 8 choices say 1st or 2nd choice if people aren't accepting them?

because of finances my circumstances have changed , i may not be able to afford my first choice. with my points im almost sure i have my first choice but would it be possible for me to turn it down and get my second or third choice ....
    No.

Read the first post again carefully, especially this bit:

IMPORTANT: When you have been offered a place in one of your course preferences, you are excluded from further consideration for any course which is lower in your order of preference than the one in which you have been offered a place.

This means that while you may subsequently move upwards in your order of preference (if places become available due to withdrawals) you will not be considered for a place in a course which is a lower preference than that already offered.
    If you are offered your first choice in the first round, that is the only (Level 8) offer you will receive, whether you accept it or turn it down.

You will probably also have a Level 6 / 7 offer at the same time, if you filled that list.

EveNicole wrote: »
    So say if you get maybe like your 3rd or 4th choice and you accept that, could you still be offered another one of your level 8 choices say 1st or 2nd choice if people aren't accepting them?
    Yes.

Later offers for higher preference

If you are being offered a place in a course which is not your first preference, you may subsequently be offered a place in a course of higher preference if such a place becomes available.

This applies whether or not the earlier offer has been accepted. It is NOT necessary to accept an offer in order to be considered for a higher preference if it becomes available later. There is no guarantee, of course, that a higher preference will become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PoppyQT

When the collage offers you a place do they put your points in the letter also, or do they not mention points just that you got accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

PoppyQT wrote: »
    When the collage offers you a place do they put your points in the letter also, or do they not mention points just that you got accepted?

I think they print your points at the top of the letter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Frankenu

Hey guys, i've just got a little question that is kinda concerning me and I just thought i'd turn to boards for some advice..
    In my Lc I achieved 2 A1's, 1 B1 and 2 B2's. However, in one exam I achieved a C3 in which I was confident i'd get an A1, so i'll be getting it re-checked. In the meantime, i'm stuck between two courses - Biomed in UCC/CIT and Nutritional Sciences in UCC. Underneath Nutritional Sciences, I have Science in Trinity. If I reject Nutritional Sciences am I putting myself in a dangerous position by hoping that an offer for Science in Trinity might appear? Or will I be guaranteed a place in Biomed based on my re-check? :confused:
    Thanks for any replies. Hope there aren't any other people in a similar position to me, it sucks! :(

• Advertisement

Frankenu wrote: »
    However, in one exam I achieved a C3 in which I was confident i'd get an A1, so i'll be getting it re-checked. In the meantime, i'm stuck between two courses - Biomed in UCC/CIT and Nutritional Sciences in UCC. Underneath Nutritional Sciences, I have Science in Trinity. If I reject Nutritional Sciences am I putting myself in a dangerous position by hoping that an offer for Science in Trinity might appear?
    An offer for *Trinity* will certainly not appear if you reject UCC Nutritional Sciences, given that you had ranked UCC ahead of Trinity.

Frankenu wrote: »
    Or will I be guaranteed a place in Biomed based on my re-check? :confused:
    You *may* get a later offer for Biomed based on your re-checks; it's certainly not guaranteed at this stage, the fact that you are confident that you got an A1 doesn't mean that you actually did.

If you do merit an offer based on an increase in points after re-checks, you will get that offer regardless of whether you accepted Nutritional Sciences in UCC or not.

So (assuming the points don't change drastically on Monday) and the situation is as you expect, your choice is straightforward: accept Nutritional Sciences or not.

The fact that both Nutritional Sciences and Biomed are in UCC takes at least one imponderable out of the equation I suppose: at least if you do get an offer after re-checks, it's in the same college.

After that, the decision is yours.

Trinity is now a complete red herring though, assuming you have explained the situation accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jgjm

what is de predicted points for primary teaching 2013 ? 8 per cent drop in applicants ????

Put it this way, I doubt they'll go up! ;)

well i think i figured tat out !! just really need them to go down 20 points!!!!

No-one can really predict until Monday, dude.

I would half-expect some slight drop tbh, no idea by how much though.

And it might vary between colleges.

And stop spamming the same question, reviving old threads and using textspeak, or you will be banned altogether!

One warning ... this is it!

u swear u own boards

Banned.

I suggest that if you really want to be a primary teacher you grow up and show some maturity tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I have a question, and if it doesn't belong here, then could randylonghorn remove it please.

I applied for Engineering teaching in UL and have points to spare and have met all the matriculation requirements. Am I going to get a spot or is there more to it?

P.S. Good luck to everybody tomorrow :)

I have a question, and if it doesn't belong here, then could randylonghorn remove it please.

I applied for Engineering teaching in UL and have points to spare and have met all the matriculation requirements. Am I going to get a spot or is there more to it?
    If you have all the requirements and the points needed, you will get an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Well, I stayed up all night. It was kinda like waiting to see santa on christmas. :D I fell a sleep at about 3am and just woke up. Mouth dry and back in bits. :eek: Anyway, remember THIS Scrap it. :pac: I got offered my first choice. delighted I'm going to be a Chef,.

167675-south-park-chef-2.gif

:D

So, what happens now? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Someone I know has been offered their first choice. However they now want a course that is about fifth on their level 8 choices. They have the points for it, they are just wondering how to go about accepting that offer from the CAO. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Someone I know has been offered their first choice. However they now want a course that is about fifth on their level 8 choices. They have the points for it, they are just wondering how to go about accepting that offer from the CAO. Thanks.

They cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Once you're offered a course on your CAO, you won't be offered a course that is lower on your list of preferences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

So I missed my course by 10 points, but was offered the same course in a different college. I absolutely have my heart set on my first choice and am willing to repeat if necessary. I know if I did a year in my second choice I'd want to drop out, and then tuition fees would be involved, but I'm still considering the idea of my second choice. I just have a few questions:

* Can I take up my second offer, but later drop it (without paying fees) should my points rise/should I decide to repeat my Leaving Cert? Or do I have to reject it?

* I know that the closing date for the appeals are the 4th, but when will it be corrected/returned by? I'm concerned that I'd already be starting college at my second choice or else repeating 6th year.

* To receive an offer from my first choice, do I have to be attending my second choice, or can I be at the start of repeating? I'm worried.

Sorry guys, I'm just really anxious and panicky right now.

EDIT: If anyone has any advice for my situation I'd seriously appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

inthezone wrote: »
    So I missed my course by 10 points, but was offered the same course in a different college. I absolutely have my heart set on my first choice and am willing to repeat if necessary. I know if I did a year in my second choice I'd want to drop out, and then tuition fees would be involved, but I'm still considering the idea of my second choice. I just have a few questions:

* Can I take up my second offer, but later drop it (without paying fees) should my points rise/should I decide to repeat my Leaving Cert? Or do I have to reject it?

Yes, you can accept it now, but at a later date if you decide not to take the course you can contact the college directly and tell them you don't want it. You won't be charged for anything if you don't officially register for the course (which is when you get the registration pack and register online, paying fees etc). Remember that 2nd round offers will be out next week, so don't rule out your first choice coming down by 10 points in that round.
    * I know that the closing date for the appeals are the 4th, but when will it be corrected/returned by? I'm concerned that I'd already be starting college at my second choice or else repeating 6th year.

The results of the appeals won't be back til about the 2nd week of October. It doesn't matter what you're doing at the time, if a result bumps you up to what you would have needed for your first choice, you'll be told. At that point you might be able to join the course (if they have spaces left for that purpose) or else you'd be guaranteed your spot next year.
    * To receive an offer from my first choice, do I have to be attending my second choice, or can I be at the start of repeating? I'm worried.

Do you mean when appeals come back? You can be doing anything, I'm pretty sure. It doesn't matter if you accept/reject your first offer, you'll be offered the course if you qualify for it.
    EDIT: If anyone has any advice for my situation I'd seriously appreciate it!

If you absolutely do not want to do the course in the college you've been offered, don't accept it just for the sake of it. If you started the course and then wanted to drop out you've got the issue of fees etc. At this point, you won't get any offer for your number 1 choice until the 29th August at the very earliest (2nd round offers). You have til next Monday to accept the offer that you have there. My advice would be to leave the CAO form as it is now and think about whether or not you'd be happy to go to your 2nd choice college. If the answer is no, then go in and check your scripts with an experienced teacher, send back any that you think could go up, and decide if you want to start repeating or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Quick question for my friend, cant remember from last year how it works

If there is a course you didn't put down is there any chance now that you could get considered for that course in the 2nd round of offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

TheGunns wrote: »

If there is a course you didn't put down is there any chance now that you could get considered for that course in the 2nd round of offers?

Do you mean the course isn't on their CAO form at all? If it isn't, then no, they can't get considered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Do you mean the course isn't on their CAO form at all? If it isn't, then no, they can't get considered for it.

Yeah it's not on it at all. Bummer, thanks

So, what happens now? :)
    You accept your offer, if you haven't already done so, and you will be contacted shortly directly by your college.
    TheGunns wrote: »

No chance, unless you're lucky enough that it appears on the CAO Vacant Places list (see link in first post in this thread) and very few courses do these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

If your first choice course is asterixed on 430 do you have to wait for 2 nd rd offers of 430 or can they offer in the interim as you have the required points , and as rejections arrive from the 1 st round ?

Advertisement