Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM Audition

• 11-02-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm hoping to go to BIMM in September, and I'm nervously awaiting the song list for auditions. I want to do the vocal course, so I have to choose my audition piece from a list of songs. If anyone knows any previously chosen songs, or what the old lists were, can you please tell me? I know they said they're usually pop/rock songs, but I'd love an idea of what to expect! Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 13whatsername

The songs last year were
    For Girls:
    If I Aint Got You – Alicia Keys
    Ain’t Nobody – Chaka Kahn
    Taking Over Me – Evanescence
    You Learn – Alanis Morrissette
    At Last – Etta James
    Rolling In The Deep – Adele
    Misery Business – Paramore
    If I Were a Boy – Beyonce

For Guys:
    Time is Running Out – Muse
    Trouble – Ray LaMontagne
    Fix You – Coldplay
    I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing –Aerosmith
    Superstition – Stevie Wonder
    Grenade – Bruno Mars
    All My Life – Foo Fighters
    You Give Me Something – James Morrison

Good Luck in your audition! I'm in first year songwriting and it's a brilliant course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sadhbhieee

Thank you so much!!! I'm so nervous! :]

• Registered Users Posts: 28 13whatsername

Yeah, I felt like I was gonna throw up the whole day of my audition but all the tutors (one of which will be auditioning you) are lovely so you've nothing to worry about really :) Just try to be really comfortable with whichever song you choose and you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

Hey there, I'm in BIMM atm, & this is the email that was sent out. Dunno if it was sent to the CAOers yet, but here it is

VOCALS
    You will have a ½ hour assessment where we can discuss your career goals and ways in which we
    may be able to help you attain them.
    We ask that you please learn one of the songs from the following list prior to your audition. Don’t
    worry, we will provide the backing track! Please note that the song should be performed as per the
    original in terms of key and arrangement; please try to learn it well enough to perform without lyrics.

Women
    If I Aint Got You – Alicia Keys
    Ain’t Nobody – Chaka Kahn
    Taking Over Me – Evanescence
    You Learn – Alanis Morrissette
    At Last – Etta James
    Rolling In The Deep – Adele
    Misery Business – Paramore
    If I Were a Boy – Beyonce

Men
    Time is Running Out – Muse
    Trouble – Ray LaMontagne
    Fix You – Coldplay
    I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing –Aerosmith
    Superstition – Stevie Wonder
    Grenade – Bruno Mars
    All My Life – Foo Fighters
    You Give Me Something – James Morrison

In addition you will be asked to go through some basic warm up, pitching, harmonising and theory
    exercises. You may be asked to demonstrate basic knowledge of a keyboard.

So, same as last year!

Get practicing! :D

Gah... Now, I just wanna know, is singing the obvious choice bad? I sing Rolling In The Deep all the time, and it's one of my most comfortable songs, but is it better to pick songs that no one else is going to pick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DylaanWalsh

I am also doing the vocal course, I'm really pooping my pants if i'm honest. I mean i'm not smart, so really riding on the points in the audition.
    I mean do they want me to entertain with 'Superstition'? or go emotional as f*** with 'You Give Me Something' I have a lot of experience, for example being Gemma Hayse's support act on her Irish tour, performing in the academy, the O2 and generally don't feel nerves, but for this i'm dying. Are they looking for unique or technique?

So scared help.
    Dylan Walsh ox

All the tutors are friendly & helpful!

The audition is not strict & serious, they're not there to point out every little flaw.
    It's to make sure you have a decent level of ability, & aren't some chancer who can only play two chords.
    The most important thing is to do what you're comfortable with.

You'll learn the theory & all that jazz once you're there so don't fret. I didn't know one bit of theory before (...maybe I still don't :p )

Once you are decent at your stream & you let them see you love doing what you do, you'll do fine!

I did my audition today and it was good! She had a great poker face on though, so it's hard to tell. Can someone tell me if and when I will hear anything?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DylaanWalsh

Had my audition yesterday, didn't go as well as i hoped... But I may be just a bit hard on myself.. He played a very good pokerface right the way through!

Can anyone tell me how they mark the audition? I think i may have seen him put down 70 for my performance (i'm doing vocals) but i the harmony ect didn't go as well, i got crushed under preasure! Seemed impressed with my experience and performance though, does anyone know is that enough? Have no music theory, just a little self thought. HELP x

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CallMeByMyName

anyone done the songwriting audition yet :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Niamh_Kav

Hi guys!

Did the audition myself this year, anyone heard back yet? Getting very anxious!

I haven't been able to think about anything else. It's even haunting my dreams! I am going insane here!!!

I know! So confused about accommodation too, have you booked anywhere yet? Its so expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I did an audition too, judging by the threads about BIMM for last year's applicants, I don't think you hear back about passing the audition until the end of this month, and actually getting in at the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

My daughter got an PFO email today from them. I'm gutted. She's gutted. :(

Hey guys! Now that people know where they stand as regards the audition, any ideas on accommodation? A house is looking better and better after reading about Griffith halls and the herberton! Sorry I'm probably wrecking heads at this stage!

Dead right on the house! As serious musicians, student accommodation is the last place we'd be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fortyball

I was wondering if someone from the songwriting stream could give me an idea as to what to expect from the audition, please.
    I mean like, what do they ask, what are the acceptance criteria and all that, I'll even post a link to some of my stuff if it helps!
    Thanks a million :)

Advertisement