Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 5D III (X) ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Whats the improvement on the 5D11 that would justify the upgrade?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

The AF ...

Whats better about it? It's the only thing in the 5D2 I'm not happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

jcf wrote: »
    The AF ...

AF would be good, but still couldn't justify paying that money just for that

Good point, if i could get a good price for the 5dII ... which i probably couldn't so .... hmmmmmm 5dii for a good while yet :D

• Advertisement

Well if you're losing a heap of shots due to the autofucus (I am) it might be worth the upgrade. Though having said that it was a lot ot pay for a MK2 that focuses worse than a P&S :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

canon should give concessions to those who own a 5DII :D

canon should give concessions to those who own a 5DII :D

That wouldn't be a bad idea at all ??

I wonder will it slide ?

Whats better about the AF though? anyone?

well for starters 61 pt !! , id imagine it's a lot faster too ... they have to listen to the complaints of the slow AF on the mkii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's wrong with the old AF that 61 points would fix?

i have god knows how many AF points in my camera. i only use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

5DmkII only has one cross type AF point (the centre point) that can detect contrast on both the x and y axis. The other 8 are older less accurate tech. It's also very poor in low light situations and has no AF assist. Basically it's AF system was already old when the mkII was released.

Having multiple AF points is really only essential if you work at very wide apertures (as I usually do), as the focus/recompose technique causes your images to be consistantly out of focus due to the tiny slice of DOF you're working in.

The rumours of it having a similar system to the 1DX means that all of it's 61 points will be cross type and should be very accurate. Proabably on a par with a good Nikon body.

I'd actually be surprised if the mkIII/X has this though, as it's a pretty big selling point of the 1DX. It's more likely it'll have either something similar to what the 7D has now or what the 1DmkIV has.

I'm sure there'll be the usual improvements in ISO as well some video friendly functions.

Personally I already have the money set aside for two new bodies, just waiting to see if they're actually worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

gloobag, you have money for two bodies, but you have only two hands and you usually use one camera with two hands. Could I keep the second body for you, safely? ;)

Not liking the pricing. You'd hope that the prices would help knock the previous models' pricing down a bit.

The 5D sells for about €500 or thereabouts these days (people try to get more but rarely succeed in my small bit of research). The MkII goes for about 1,300-2,000 (seconda hand - new) and if this comes in at 3,000+ then the previous models are just going to retain their current pricing.

I'm fairly certain Canon have decided to price their gear out of the amateur's hands to try and create a divide in the amateur VS pro debate. At the moment, you could set up as a pro with less than €5,000. I think there's a whiff of artificial price flooring coming in to try and drive a barrier between "pro" gear and "amateur/enthusiast" gear.

Maybe I should be posting in the conspiracy theories forum, though...

If the next 7D is FF, I might go for that as my "upgrade" ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Rumours are there will be no new 7d so whatever replaces the 60d (70d?) will pick up that area

Borderfox wrote: »
    Rumours are there will be no new 7d so whatever replaces the 60d (70d?) will pick up that area

I think it'll be a bit longer until the 7D sees a replacement coming out (maybe another year or two). I think they may have put TOO much goodness into the 7D, to be honest, and it's become a shockingly popular camera body due to that.

They'd be mad to not upgrade what's already there. 7D Mark II would be a fantastic body, I'd imagine, if they kept the core of it the same (AF, etc) and just upgraded the other stuff that may need it (like fixing the mode dial, as it's far too easy to accidentally change your shooting mode).

I don't think it should be Full Frame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I liked my 60D a lot, although I've wanted a true 50mm 1.4 range for some time now. It was a toss up between a 35mm 1.4 for the cropped sensor, or a full frame and a cheaper 50mm like the sigma. So I have a 5dM2 coming this week. For my type of shooting im not that bugged about the auto focus drop off.

If it's good enough for the pros I look up to then its good enough for me :)

I liked my 60D a lot, although I've wanted a true 50mm 1.4 range for some time now. It was a toss up between a 35mm 1.4 for the cropped sensor, or a full frame and a cheaper 50mm like the sigma. So I have a 5dM2 coming this week. For my type of shooting im not that bugged about the auto focus drop off.

If it's good enough for the pros I look up to then its good enough for me :)

Yeah, have to say 5d II is a great camera ..

it takes super shots with the 50mm 1.4...

Some new images that are considered to be legit have surfaced. Seems to be named markIII opposed to 5Dx. The body looks a little bit sleeker compared to the markII as well.

LINK (canonrumours is being hammered right now, obviously)

Also, I've been reading around a few sites and the 61pt AF rumour is now considered to be accurate. Which is nice. I'm starting to worry about how this will affect the price though.

• Advertisement

Canon rumours indeed taking a hammering .. the 3 pics they have posted :

6789475738_4ca6545154_z.jpg

6935588905_5ea1627f2c_z.jpg

6789475580_e55b518757_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I actually stalled my order with mr.kerr the other night after reading all the rumours haha! Said I'd give it until the announcement to see what the story is with the price etc! Also looks to be a tidy price drop in the 5Dmk2, hopefully making the launch price of the mk3 that bit sweeter on launch! Guess we'll know by Friday :) if I can get the body for 2600(ugh...) I'll take it

I actually stalled my order with mr.kerr the other night after reading all the rumours haha! Said I'd give it until the announcement to see what the story is with the price etc! Also looks to be a tidy price drop in the 5Dmk2, hopefully making the launch price of the mk3 that bit sweeter on launch! Guess we'll know by Friday :) if I can get the body for 2600(ugh...) I'll take it

hopefully it will be around that mark, anyway , im gonna leave it 18 months or so ... nice price drop by then i think..

As per my previous "price it out of the amateurs' reach" theory, I'd say it'd be priced very close to €3,000, and will make feck all difference to the current values of the mark 1 and 2 versions.

As per my previous "price it out of the amateurs' reach" theory, I'd say it'd be priced very close to €3,000, and will make feck all difference to the current values of the mark 1 and 2 versions.

Could be right ...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

€3250 body only price !!! :O

f*** that !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Rumoured $3600 in US so that equates to €2700 approx here so nice mark up here just for bringing the camera into the shop. F*ck that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I see it's twice the price of the 5d2!

The 5d2 is currently 1800 on amazon. This is estimated to be 3000 pounds which is just shy of 3600 euro.

The camera looks nice but its in line with 3 or 4 years of technological improvements.
    Hard to justify doubling of the price when other consumer electronics are getting cheaper over time.

Luckily I use my 5d2 for landscapes so the very high iso and 61 AF points is not that important for me. Seems canon are pushing the cost of the entire range up.

In fact what I'd love to see is an ultra low iso setting to help with long exposures (ISO 25 or ISO 10)

Mind you this iso 6400 aurora shot http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5dmk3/downloads/02.jpg does look very nice (much cleaner than iso 3200 aurora shots I've taken but in camera NR could have been very high for that marketing shot)

Edit - now I look at it downloaded it does look like very heavy noise reduction (horribly smoothed)

For comparison heres an iso 3200 I took with http://www.flickr.com/photos/solyad/6189821679/sizes/l/in/photostream/ No NR applied. Its very noisey if you pixel peep. But I think I prefer some noise to that kind of smoothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Agree with previous post - struggling to comprehend where the €3600 price tag is coming from.

• Advertisement

Official press release

Price seems to be: $3499 / £2999.99 / €3569.99 RRP which seems a tad ridiculous to me, how can the euro price be so much more than the dollar? :confused: Street price will have to be lower than that if they actually want shift any of em'.

Advertisement