Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Indeed, hyperbole is only to be discouraged, and not something I like indulging in. Dissent is welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I dunno. Valid opinion and all that. But it costs me 12 euro for a cinema ticket, 10 pounds for Journey. I know which one I enjoy more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Okay I caved and bought it. I'm not really sure what to make of it. Right now I'm looking back and thinking it was nothing special, but while I was playing it I definitely got caught up in the moment a few times

In the underwater bit for example, when I was working along with someone and got to the panel thing before him, I waited for him to catch up before activating it. He returned the favour in the mountain level where I got attacked by the snake thing twice and he waited for me before going any further. I couldn't even pause the game to go to the toilet, it felt like I'd be abandoning him

Then for the final journey I loved the mural depicting our whole journey, and was rather sad that we somehow got separated and that I ended up doing the final leg of it alone

So overall, a good experience, but still too expensive IMO

And as a side note, the other games by these developers are half price on PSN, for anyone who doesn't have them yet. Flow is only €2.50, and Flower is either €4 or €5. Got Flow myself, and having already owned Flower can say that that is definitely worth its price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

however I think a lot of the great experiences people had stemmed from their belief that each action they took had meaning, ie I can't lose my scarf, or we must stay together ... but ultimately it actually doesn't matter whether you lose your scarf or stay together. When those players succeeded, they felt like they achieved something special, but really they just got to the end of the linear path just the same as the guy who lost his scarf and/or did so without a companion.
    True al-right, although it my head that's kind of missing the point. For me it's not about 'having' to do those things, but the fact that the game is so much more enjoyable when you do. For example, when I was wandering around the ground and out of nowhere a fellow player lands next to me and regenerates my flying ability, the rush I got from that was fantastic - such a feeling of joyous freedom. Likewise, taking the journey together, sharing the experience, helping each other along, continuously giving each other the freedom of flight and especially if you are more experienced than the other player, showing them the ropes etc etc, it just feels fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Awesome game!

Wish there weren't so many spoiler tags in this thread (I'm on a mobile).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Awesome game!

Wish there weren't so many spoiler tags in this thread (I'm on a mobile).

Windows Phone is the only OS that has allowed me to read spoiler tags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm not a fan of flow myself :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Would anyone mind telling me how big is the file download? Read on another forum it was around the 600 Mb size, important for those relying on hamster driven internet connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

624MB I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

That was honestly my favourite 2 hours of gaming ever.

Yes I get that the mechanics aren't spot on for what it ultimately is trying to do but that doesn't matter, the sense of companionship the game invokes is like no other.

I sat down in the sitting room with the lights off and headphones on and just let myself get sucked in. It was probably the most immersed I've ever felt with a game. I don't care about the length or the "value for money is directly related to hours playtime" lark. For me if something can reach me on an emotional level as this did the way it did then it's priceless.

A very close friend of mine died last year, he was as much into games as I am and we would always spend time playing through games together. This is the exact type of game I would tell him about and happily sit and watch him play through or vice versa. We used to spend time playing Demon Soul's together without voice chat and when my companion showed up I immediately thought of him as the feeling brought me back. For this reason to me for that 2 hours I played it was him I was with. I know I sound overly sentimental but fcuk me I feel it. I'll openly admit I cried at the end after the experience and it honestly felt like I had him back for the 2 hours we played. Actually in a way I did have him back.

This game now means more to me than I could have ever possibly imagined and I know it will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sorry if this is a bit much but I thought I would share the experience...

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    That was honestly my favourite 2 hours of gaming ever.

Yes I get that the mechanics aren't spot on for what it ultimately is trying to do but that doesn't matter, the sense of companionship the game invokes is like no other.

I sat down in the sitting room with the lights off and headphones on and just let myself get sucked in. It was probably the most immersed I've ever felt with a game. I don't care about the length or the "value for money is directly related to hours playtime" lark. For me if something can reach me on an emotional level as this did the way it did then it's priceless.

A very close friend of mine died last year, he was as much into games as I am and we would always spend time playing through games together. This is the exact type of game I would tell him about and happily sit and watch him play through or vice versa. We used to spend time playing Demon Soul's together without voice chat and when my companion showed up I immediately thought of him as the feeling brought me back. For this reason to me for that 2 hours I played it was him I was with. I know I sound overly sentimental but fcuk me I feel it. I'll openly admit I cried at the end after the experience and it honestly felt like I had him back for the 2 hours we played. Actually in a way I did have him back.

This game now means more to me than I could have ever possibly imagined and I know it will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sorry if this is a bit much but I thought I would share the experience...

That's beautiful man, not being smart assed, it really is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

unkymo wrote: »
    Just finished it now. Blown away so many times during the game and that ending was fantastic! A wonderful game, I need the soundtrack!

I get my wish;
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/03/29/journey-breaks-psn-sales-records/

The soundtrack is out on April 11 on PSN and iTunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Absolutely loved the game, got it two days ago and played through it twice in the same day, second time with one companion for the whole thing and I don't know I really felt a bond to this person that I'd never met and have no idea who they are; which is something I've never experienced in a game before. It's definitely not for everybody but it was perfect for me, best 90 minutes of gaming I've ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Absolutely loved the game, got it two days ago and played through it twice in the same day, second time with one companion for the whole thing and I don't know I really felt a bond to this person that I'd never met and have no idea who they are; which is something I've never experienced in a game before. It's definitely not for everybody but it was perfect for me, best 90 minutes of gaming I've ever had

You only played it once :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

it's pretty beautiful alright, but I can't stop feelin a bit let down after all the hype. I loooooove flower, it's just the perfect chill out game. This I can't see getting the same amount of gametime. I guess it's more a case of the one straight up experience. Looking forward to a second run through.

RangeR wrote: »
    You only played it once :eek:

got it two days ago and played through it twice in the same day

You missed a spot.

mystic86 wrote: »
    You missed a spot.

Ha, then he must have flown through two sittings in the best 90 minutes of gaming he ever had :)

Although there are "shortcuts" after you complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

are there trophies for this game ? is it worth it ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    are there trophies for this game ?
    Of course
    aindriu80 wrote: »
    is it worth it ?
    Seriously? Have you even read ANY of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Finished this the other night and thought it was absolutely stunning, so much so that I find people calling it over rated and not worth a tenner to be more disappointing than the ME3 ending which I finished the night before. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was toying with buying this but I rarely pay full price for a download. I think you guys have sold it to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just finished it. Great experience.

I just want to ask a quick question though. In the snowfield
    towards the end, I was convinced that my companion and I were going the wrong way but we continued to plod on together and eventually 'died' and were resurrected and flew the rest of the way. Is that what was supposed to happen? I'm presuming it is, but just want to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Just finished it. Great experience.

I just want to ask a quick question though. In the snowfield
    towards the end, I was convinced that my companion and I were going the wrong way but we continued to plod on together and eventually 'died' and were resurrected and flew the rest of the way. Is that what was supposed to happen? I'm presuming it is, but just want to check.

Yep. I thought the game was over when I first played it only to find out that there was more still to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Soundtrack on iTunes now
    Only €4 too. Sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any one else ever have this problem.

I can't find Journey on the PSN store, won't come up. I used the search function and all I can get is the theme and soundtrack. The game, nada.

There is an ad on the store featuring the game and listing it as €12.99. I select the add and get an error message saying the content is not available for my account.

I am baffled here. The game seems not to exist or has been removed from PSN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I finally got around to playing this two days ago. Was expecting not to be impressed since I found Flower to be pretty but totally vapid with pretentious aspirations that it never delivered on and a weak message.

Journey however is the real deal. A fantastic experience and well worth the money. Probably my favourite game of 2012 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I finally got around to playing this two days ago. Was expecting not to be impressed since I found Flower to be pretty but totally vapid with pretentious aspirations that it never delivered on and a weak message.

Journey however is the real deal. A fantastic experience and well worth the money. Probably my favourite game of 2012 so far.

Did you meet anyone else online? I haven't gotten around to playing it yet and am curious if other people are still around to bump into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you meet anyone else online? I haven't gotten around to playing it yet and am curious if other people are still around to bump into.

Yeah, I only played it the once but I had a partner for the whole game. Same person as well. I might have gotten lucky but there was at least one other person online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Any one else ever have this problem.

I can't find Journey on the PSN store, won't come up. I used the search function and all I can get is the theme and soundtrack. The game, nada.

There is an ad on the store featuring the game and listing it as €12.99. I select the add and get an error message saying the content is not available for my account.

I am baffled here. The game seems not to exist or has been removed from PSN.

Finally got this to work, it just wasn't playing ball last night for whatever reason. Strange as I'm not doing anything different. Must have been a PSN glitch or whatever.

Downloading now. Have a half day in work tomorrow so going to pick up a few beers on the way home, sit back and enjoy this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Brilliant game.

I started off with different partners but then as I realised what was going on I paired with someone for the last stages.

Wondrous experience!

Advertisement