Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Daddio wrote: »
    What is the current state of the harbour area at the moment? How open is it to the public? I'm from near greystones originally but have been living abroad for the last two years, only occasionally when I'm home do I see the updates on the harbour. Am due a visit back home in the next two weeks and want to prepare my eyes for the monstrosity :P

You will find pics on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056050279

Or just scroll back through this present thread for plenty of pics of the harbour during construction, after being finished, erosion of the North Beach and cliffs, etc.

Or just google greystones harbour and click images.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

What is the current state of the harbour area at the moment? How open is it to the public? I'm from near greystones originally but have been living abroad for the last two years, only occasionally when I'm home do I see the updates on the harbour. Am due a visit back home in the next two weeks and want to prepare my eyes for the monstrosity :P

As a guy in work was telling me - "went out to Bray at the weekend to do the Cliff Walk - found it really pretty but turned around when I hit the construction site".

:( Not kidding - he didn't know I'm from here we were just talking about what we got up to at the weekend. Talk about being ashamed of where you come from. How many others have just turned straight around to Bray instead of wandering further into the town and helping out the local shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Taltos wrote: »
    As a guy in work was telling me - "went out to Bray at the weekend to do the Cliff Walk - found it really pretty but turned around when I hit the construction site".

:( Not kidding - he didn't know I'm from here we were just talking about what we got up to at the weekend. Talk about being ashamed of where you come from. How many others have just turned straight around to Bray instead of wandering further into the town and helping out the local shops...
    Yeah the last time I did the cliff walk (must have been about a year ago now) when I got to the Greystones side I decided to walk along the North Beach, but hadn't noticed that the construction site was still sealed off and made a dead end, so I had to walk about 5 minutes back to get around some fence and onto a diverted pathway. I found the place very barren and unwelcoming, I can see why you your colleague wasn't bothered going the whole way. At least now there's a little bit of greenery judging by pixbyjohn's links, but it makes me sad to think how nice it was when you made the last corner around Bray Head and you could see Greystones stretching out in front of you - you'd know you weren't far from some decent grub (Jokers or a Happy Pear, yum!). You certainly wouldn't want to be turning back anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

soo its not a harbour..its an art gallery...one would think that with the millions upon millions funnelled into the "ahem worlds arse harbour" the artists would have got better than some cheap fencing to hang their work from..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How many others have just turned straight around to Bray instead of wandering further into the town and helping out the local shops...

surely not that many - who walks 5 miles then turns around to walk 5 miles back rather than walk the extra 500 yards to get to the pub and chipper? Certainly any time I walk up that way I see plenty of people arriving from Bray and they all seem to be continuing towards the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely not that many - who walks 5 miles then turns around to walk 5 miles back rather than walk the extra 500 yards to get to the pub and chipper? Certainly any time I walk up that way I see plenty of people arriving from Bray and they all seem to be continuing towards the town.

I agree

loyatemu wrote: »

Only takes one - at brekkie with quite a few others. Hearing his experience would bet many of them would not bother except I pointed the obvious out. But again - only takes a few conversations like this where there is not someone who knows the area to paint a bleak picture.

Either way - can you honestly say that the current walk down now is all that inviting?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I did the cliff walk from greystones. It was really nice til i got near the end and saw bray. Quickly turned round and walked back. :-)

Jimjay wrote: »
    I did the cliff walk from greystones. It was really nice til i got near the end and saw bray. Quickly turned round and walked back. :-)

Don't you mean "ran back screaming" to scare off that disturbed guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Only takes one - at brekkie with quite a few others. Hearing his experience would bet many of them would not bother except I pointed the obvious out. But again - only takes a few conversations like this where there is not someone who knows the area to paint a bleak picture.

Either way - can you honestly say that the current walk down now is all that inviting?

My sentiments exactly. It is unlikely that many people actually turn back but that doesnt take away from the fact that the place looks awful and is largely fenced off from the public.

Most importantly there is absolutely no reason why it should be left like this.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

good to see you today John, we have MET!

7882994528_7babcaa117_z.jpg
    DSC_1319 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Does that photo remind anyone of the old dump field at Darcy's? How far we have come.

Well Saturday is 1 September. Construction on the Medial center begins in september or so we were told.
    Monday morning I'm sure it will all start! John you better be ready with your camera........

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Well Saturday is 1 September. Construction on the Medial center begins in september or so we were told.
    Monday morning I'm sure it will all start! John you better be ready with your camera........

If there's a similar delay as between promising to landscape the site and actually doing anything, we'll still be waiting this time next year.

The landscape promise (which was only to plant some grass): April 2012
    The landscape action (sowing the grass): Still waiting, four months later, as growing season approaches its end

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    7882994528_7babcaa117_z.jpg
    DSC_1319 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

This is the area which Sispar promised the Town Council it would landscape and plant grass on, with much trumpeting of this generosity by the usual suspects. So where's the grass, other than the wild stuff? Or were the suspects smoking some?

Taken from the Indo website

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/sisk-and-cotters-30m-riviera-yacht-club-sunk-3216930.html

(Last couple of paragraphs of the article)

If this is correct it is truly outrageous (and has very serious consequences for Greystones):

Assertions by local politicians that "we have got a harbour at no cost to the taxpayer" are rather inaccurate. It has now cost the taxpayer €50M.

The whole principle of a PPP has been abandoned by the state.

The public has now lost control of the site completely and it has been handed over to private interests to do with it as they will. And whenever they want.

Meanwhile, in a harbour closer to home, Nama is believed to have written down over €50m of debt attached to the blighted Greystones Harbour Development.

The write-down is thought to be part of a secretive deal struck to allow building giant Sisk Group to take over the project, which is a public-private partnership in conjunction with Wicklow County Council.

Originally, Sisk Group and Michael Cotter's Park Developments formed a consortium, Sispar, which was to build the project. Now Sisk is taking "full responsibility" for the development.

- Roisin Burke

I suspected that NAMA had given away our money rather than forcing Sisk and Park to pay up the loan, which they had contracted to do by guaranteeing the financing issued to Sispar.

Absolutely outrageous! Far from having traded the harbour for the reclaimed land amounting to more than 20 acres, they have now defaulted on the cost of the harbour, which they borrowed, with NAMA'as agreement!

So Sisk has now got over 20 acres of prime development land for nothing! And Park, a zombie company, has been let off its obligations.

And get this. The Sindo article points out that the Villefranche yacht club has been dropped too. So that's two towns blighted by the head honchos at Sisk and Park.

In Villefranche, we see the same high-flown bullsh1t about restoring the town's amenities as we heard here. Followed by the same failure to deliver. The developers promised to refurbish the entire main boulevard in Villefranche as part of the project — that's now down the tubes.

Maybe Greystones should twin with Villefranche, as twin victims of Messrs Sisk and Cotter?

See http://www.classicsailing.eu/about.html before they take down the website.
    Villas One and Two are at either end of the main town boulevard of Villefranche which will be completely refurbished during construction. The centre-piece will be a new municipal statue at the Villa One end by famous French sculptor Francois Lavrat.

Yes, and we have five clubhouses and "the finest public plaza on the east coast".

And pie in the sky when we die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Taken from the Indo website

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/sisk-and-cotters-30m-riviera-yacht-club-sunk-3216930.html

(Last couple of paragraphs of the article)

If this is correct it is truly outrageous (and has very serious consequences for Greystones):

Assertions by local politicians that "we have got a harbour at no cost to the taxpayer" are rather inaccurate. It has now cost the taxpayer €50M.

The whole principle of a PPP has been abandoned by the state.

The public has now lost control of the site completely and it has been handed over to private interests to do with it as they will. And whenever they want.

Meanwhile, in a harbour closer to home, Nama is believed to have written down over €50m of debt attached to the blighted Greystones Harbour Development.

The write-down is thought to be part of a secretive deal struck to allow building giant Sisk Group to take over the project, which is a public-private partnership in conjunction with Wicklow County Council.

Originally, Sisk Group and Michael Cotter's Park Developments formed a consortium, Sispar, which was to build the project. Now Sisk is taking "full responsibility" for the development.

- Roisin Burke

Can you explain a bit more what exactly this means. I'm totally confused by it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Agreed. I'm confused. From this short paragraph, it seems what has changed is that NAMA wrote off the debt and Sispar has been reduced to Sisk (which we kind of already knew?). I don't see where that means the WCC is no longer part of the PPP?

The curse of Michael Cotter and George Sisk has affected more than just Greystones and Villefranche-sur-mer.

In 2009, according to Brittany news site LeTelegramme.com, the Stagnol boatyard in Quimper was forced to seek the protection of the Commercial Courts and lay off several workers when Sisk and Cotter's Villefranche Classic Yacht Club postponed plans to restore its seven Dublin Bay 24s, depriving the yard of €1.4 million in fees.

On 20 November 2009 the boatyard was forced to lay off four of its five full-time employees on account of this decision and to seek court protection (examinership). Boatyard boss Hubert Stagnol blamed the Villefranche decision which had been made known to him earlier that week. The yard later ceased operations, closing finally on 8 June this year.

So — the curse of Park & Sisk has brought no jobs to Greystones apart from that of the 'invisible' harbourmaster, and has hit Quimper with the loss of several jobs and one of its traditional boatyards.

When Sispar ceased work they owed AIB approx. €50M

This was then transferred to NAMA who now appear, for no obvious commercial reason, to have simply written off the debt while getting nothing in return.

Sisk are now the only player as presumably Park are effectively insolvent.

This is significant because:
    Wicklow County Council have it within their power to solve the current situation but to date refuse to do so. Sispar were three years behind on the contract and have not carried out any meaningful work for two years. They are therfore in default of the contract and WCC could effectivly kick them off the site. Obviously they wouldnt actually do this but they would use the threat of so doing to force Sispar to landscape the site and open all of it to the public and allow moorings in the basin etc. However as I say they so far have refused to do this as they seem to be far more concerned with sispar's interests that of the Public.

While a debt was owed to NAMA this left open the possibility of the state intervening and essentially representing the public interest. They could force Sispar to carry out the work in return for Nama not calling in the loan. This option is now gone.

Clearly there are other more academic issues such as why should the loan be written off and the taxpayer effectively carry it when the public is receiving nothing in return?

Or why if the loan is written off did the State not take the harbour into public ownership and -if need be- find a new PPP partner to finish the development?Sisk are not out of pocket as they dont have to repay the loan so why make a gift of a harbour to them?

When Sispar ceased work they owed AIB approx. €50M

This was then transferred to NAMA who now appear, for no obvious commercial reason, to have simply written off the debt while getting nothing in return.

Sisk are now the only player as presumably Park are effectively insolvent.

This is significant because:
    Wicklow County Council have it within their power to solve the current situation but to date refuse to do so. Sispar were three years behind on the contract and have not carried out any meaningful work for two years. They are therfore in default of the contract and WCC could effectivly kick them off the site. Obviously they wouldnt actually do this but they would use the threat of so doing to force Sispar to landscape the site and open all of it to the public and allow moorings in the basin etc. However as I say they so far have refused to do this as they seem to be far more concerned with sispar's interests that of the Public.

While a debt was owed to NAMA this left open the possibility of the state intervening and essentially representing the public interest. They could force Sispar to carry out the work in return for Nama not calling in the loan. This option is now gone.

Clearly there are other more academic issues such as why should the loan be written off and the taxpayer effectively carry it when the public is receiving nothing in return?

Or why if the loan is written off did the State not take the harbour into public ownership and -if need be- find a new PPP partner to finish the development?Sisk are not out of pocket as they dont have to repay the loan so why make a gift of a harbour to them?

It's actually much worse, Fiachra2. The foreshore was alienated from public ownership, over 20 acres reclaimed from the sea, and this has now been handed to the Sisk Group — essentially FOR NOTHING!!

I say for nothing, because we have a non-functioning harbour with no mooring possible. Only small boats which can be dragged ashore can use it. Commercial fishers who previously used the harbour have been locked out for five years now and no sign of being re-admitted. And as a haven from weather, it's pretty much useless.

So why is this predatory developer not being held to account by WCC? Will we be seeing certain people moving from WCC to jobs with Sisk in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

"Meanwhile, in a harbour closer to home, Nama is believed to have written down over €50m of debt attached to the blighted Greystones Harbour Development.
    Originally, Sisk Group and Michael Cotter's Park Developments formed a consortium, Sispar, which was to build the project. Now Sisk is taking "full responsibility" for the development."

I for one do not believe this story. In a week where severe health cuts are announced I cannot believe that NAMA would secretly wipe out €50M of taxpayers money to benefit a going concern. There would be no logical reason to do this. Independent Newspapers have been wrong before and I believe they are wrong about this one. Statements such as "is believed" and "is thought" are not definitive.

If this story is found to be true then we are indeed facing a grotesque vista.

Quote below from the NAMAwinelake blog supports the view that this deal is unlikely. However it was confirmed publicly last July that no money was owed to NAMA. It seems next to impossible that Sispar settled the debt so a write of would seem the only possible explanation. Maybe we will hear more at the Town Council meeting on 25 September.

This “deal”, if confirmed, would raise a couple of concerns about the way in which NAMA conducts its business. Firstly, NAMA is proscribed by the NAMA Act from selling assets to defaulting debtors. Whilst Sisk is understood to have been servicing its share of the loan, both consortium partners were presumably jointly and severally liable for the full repayment of the loan. So, on what basis can NAMA have agreed to write-down the debt “to allow building giant Sisk Group to take over the project” when, if the loan were to be called in, Sisk would presumably have become liable for the lot and may even have become a defaulting debtor. Secondly, as with all secret deals, there is a concern that NAMA has failed to maximise the value of its loans. Might a third party have offered better terms to buy the loan and develop the Harbour? Who knows, who can tell, it’s secret.

As is usual with individual projects, NAMA is keeping schtum and not providing any comment.

Quote below from the NAMAwinelake blog supports the view that this deal is unlikely. However it was confirmed publicly last July that no money was owed to NAMA. It seems next to impossible that Sispar settled the debt so a write of would seem the only possible explanation. Maybe we will hear more at the Town Council meeting on 25 September.

This “deal”, if confirmed, would raise a couple of concerns about the way in which NAMA conducts its business. Firstly, NAMA is proscribed by the NAMA Act from selling assets to defaulting debtors. Whilst Sisk is understood to have been servicing its share of the loan, both consortium partners were presumably jointly and severally liable for the full repayment of the loan. So, on what basis can NAMA have agreed to write-down the debt “to allow building giant Sisk Group to take over the project” when, if the loan were to be called in, Sisk would presumably have become liable for the lot and may even have become a defaulting debtor. Secondly, as with all secret deals, there is a concern that NAMA has failed to maximise the value of its loans. Might a third party have offered better terms to buy the loan and develop the Harbour? Who knows, who can tell, it’s secret.

As is usual with individual projects, NAMA is keeping schtum and not providing any comment.

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/nama-in-e50m-secret-debt-writeoff-report/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sispar owed about €46m to AIB when NAMA was set up and took over all developer loans above €20m.

Sispar is a joint venture SPV between Sisk and Park Developments.
    I would not believe the debt has gone away without some proof, especially given the source of the statement.

The debt could only go away either by Sisk taking on all of Sispar's debt and paying it back, or by it being forgiven by NAMA as part of some deal.

As the debt is basically a public asset (in accounting terms) and is guaranteed by the parent companies Sisk and Park, NAMA could call it in anytime and expect full payment. So why should they forgive it?

If NAMA have done so, I would hope our TDs would probe for some straight answers on this. €36m forgiven is €36m less for schools, special needs kids, health, and all the other services being so savagely cut. Even for TDs pay...
    Looks like Durutti was right then, except the taxpayer has thrown in another few million to round it up to the €50M now being mentioned. Sure what's a few mill between friends.

How much did the developers spend on the two piers so far?
    They were supposed to be getting the big muddy site for apartments in exchange for building a harbour. If they now get paid the 50M to cover their harbour costs, does that mean they are getting the apartment site very cheap, or for free?

• Advertisement

Thank you, recedite.

And yes, what this means, if true, is that one developer, Sisk, has got hold of a large swathe of prime development land, over 20 acres, essentially for nothing. As I put it in my response to Fiachra2 above:
    It's actually much worse, Fiachra2. The foreshore was alienated from public ownership, over 20 acres reclaimed from the sea, and this has now been handed to the Sisk Group — essentially FOR NOTHING!!

I say for nothing, because we have a non-functioning harbour with no mooring possible. Only small boats which can be dragged ashore can use it. Commercial fishers who previously used the harbour have been locked out for five years now and no sign of being re-admitted. And as a haven from weather, it's pretty much useless.

So why is this predatory developer not being held to account by WCC? Will we be seeing certain people moving from WCC to jobs with Sisk in the near future?

If NAMA has indeed let them off the debt, it amounts to the public paying for the useless harbour. Public Private Partnerships are supposed to avoid incurring public investment cost, substituting instead private funds in exchange for an operating concession to the private investors, so Fiachra is right in his remark about this particular PPP. It may formally exist as such, but in terms of achieving its objective of saving public money it has failed totally.

Don't expect much probing by politicians. Harris and Donnnelly have agitated for some deal behind the scenes, so they will hardly be upset, even if the €50m is now lost to other purposes, such as schools or health. It seems savage cuts to the social good are just fine, but developers have to be bailed out, in their book.

Advertisement