Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swype

Options
  • 02-08-2013 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭

When I first started using it I thought it was the best invention ever, but recently I am finding it irritating and guaranteed to put me in a foul mood. I can cope with 2 attempts at getting the word in, but just now it took seven attempts to get a word in. Its great for long words, but lousy for small ones, and i don't want to tap small words and swipe large ones.

The ability to turn on swear and impolite words would be nice as well.

What are others thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

This post has been deleted.

Yeah why doesnt it fully work when sending SMSs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I use Google keyboard which has swype like functionality and I find it works very well. Maybe give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SwiftKey was driving me nuts in the same way. Every time I tried to sign off an email with the word "Dave", it would convert it to Daventry (a town in the UK apparently, which is obviously what I was trying to write in the first place). I tried deleting the word from the dictionary with a long press on it, but it keeps coming back.

I'm using Google's own keyboard now. A bit slower (you need to be more careful with the flow part), but at least Dave appears on first attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mr E wrote: »
    SwiftKey was driving me nuts in the same way. Every time I tried to sign off an email with the word "Dave", it would convert it to Daventry (a town in the UK apparently, which is obviously what I was trying to write in the first place). I tried deleting the word from the dictionary with a long press on it, but it keeps coming back.

I'm using Google's own keyboard now. A bit slower (you need to be more careful with the flow part), but at least Dave appears on first attempt.

I am seriously considering getting rid of it now. There seems no way to edit the full dictionary not just the ones you have entered. Like right now I tried entering better. I maybe missed the r but the first three choices are Bette and bette and bete. None of which are actual f%&king words! I could put up with the daventry bug but suggesting words which i didnt enter, which are not actual words is more than irritating. Five or six attempts to get the right word entered is really not good for my blood pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I ditched it after they made it worse and started charging for it and Google Keyboard incorporated swiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I find the Google Keyboard frustrating also though.

I agree with all the swype problems, and I've now got a vanilla android phone now so was happy to use the google keyboard, but I find it inserts some very strange words.

In particular, any time I type the name Kev it only suggests "KeV" and never gives me the swear words when I want them. Adding them to dictionary doesn't seem to help.

There is definitely room for improvement on all of these keyboard apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

syklops wrote: »
    I am seriously considering getting rid of it now. There seems no way to edit the full dictionary not just the ones you have entered. Like right now I tried entering better. I maybe missed the r but the first three choices are Bette and bette and bete. None of which are actual f%&king words! I could put up with the daventry bug but suggesting words which i didnt enter, which are not actual words is more than irritating. Five or six attempts to get the right word entered is really not good for my blood pressure.

Here and here.

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I find the Google Keyboard frustrating also though.

I agree with all the swype problems, and I've now got a vanilla android phone now so was happy to use the google keyboard, but I find it inserts some very strange words.

In particular, any time I type the name Kev it only suggests "KeV" and never gives me the swear words when I want them. Adding them to dictionary doesn't seem to help.

There is definitely room for improvement on all of these keyboard apps.

The swear words can be enabled in the options (took me a while to figure that one out). With Kev, just type it in normally (as in not using the swype functionality) and then tap it. It should ask you to tap it again to save. It'll work from then on.

Advertisement