Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoClever R70

Options
  • 01-09-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Bought two of these in Lidl the other day, one for myself and one on behalf of a friend. My one works fine, been using it grand. However, the other one was plugged in to charge today and stuff was put on it (bog standard things like Twitter, nothing unusual) but now it will only turn on if the charger is plugged in. It won't switch on at all without the charger. Lidl have a strict no-returns policy on the items. Was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a possible solution before I ring GoClever tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Bought two of these in Lidl the other day, one for myself and one on behalf of a friend. My one works fine, been using it grand. However, the other one was plugged in to charge today and stuff was put on it (bog standard things like Twitter, nothing unusual) but now it will only turn on if the charger is plugged in. It won't switch on at all without the charger. Lidl have a strict no-returns policy on the items. Was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a possible solution before I ring GoClever tomorrow?

Lidl have a strict no return policy on the items.....

is a load of bollocks!!!

They, Lidl are bound by Irish and EU Consumer legislation, which gives the consumer, that's you, the buyer, rights.

see my previous posts re consumer rights.

Unless you or your friend put a new ROM on the device, or rooted it with disastrous consequences, which I very much doubt, then you are entitled to expect the item you bought to function as per the basic telephony, etc.

Why on earth would you ring GoClever??

You have no contract with them!!!

They may have given a Guarantee with the device, but that is additional to your Statutory rights, which are excellent, and I have linked them below......

You bought the item from Lidl, that is your contract, with the retailer....let them ring GoClever, to either fix or replace your faulty device.

The Law is on your side, believe me......

and they, Lidl know that...the are a German company, and one thing they will know is the Law.

Check out this: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/buying-goods

As an added support for you, you should download, print out and bring this document with you....

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/media/Yourrightswhenshopping1.pdf

it outlines your rights as a consumer, and Lidl will be well aware of it's contents......

Don't be a sheep, Lidl love sheep......

demand your consumer rights, and do it loudly, with a manager, do not speak to a checkout operator, they will speak to you, if you are assertive.

Don't ring the manufacturer, even if they, Lidl, suggest it, you bought the phone from them, Lidl....

that is your contract, and also, theirs.....it's a two-way thing!!!

BTW, they have obligations under that contract of sale, and one is that the goods you bought should be of merchantable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well I did think there was something a tad suspicious about it but since they only got 6 and all 6 were sold they said that replacement was unavailable and due to the nature of the products and the ability to register them online to avail of the warranty, they could not be returned. I hadn't thought about what to do in the case of repair, but since I just spoke to Paul in GoClever in Dublin, I've decided to leave Lidl out of it

He said it sounds like a faulty battery and he is sending someone out in the morning to pick it up at my house, and I should have a new one delivered to my door before the week is out. Not bad GoClever, not bad at all.

Well I did think there was something a tad suspicious about it but since they only got 6 and all 6 were sold they said that replacement was unavailable and due to the nature of the products and the ability to register them online to avail of the warranty, they could not be returned. I hadn't thought about what to do in the case of repair, but since I just spoke to Paul in GoClever in Dublin, I've decided to leave Lidl out of it

He said it sounds like a faulty battery and he is sending someone out in the morning to pick it up at my house, and I should have a new one delivered to my door before the week is out. Not bad GoClever, not bad at all.

Hi ShaSha...

I am really glad that you seem to have found a solution which may sort out your problem, and if it works for you, that is OK.

But none of what I said before is invalidated by your, hopefully, satisfactory experience.

When you buy from a retailer in Ireland, or any EU country, that is a contract covered by Law, which imposes conditions on both sides to the contract.

In reality, Lidl, as one party to that contract, are shifting responsibility to you, the other party, to resolve a problem with an item purchased as new from them, not from anyone else.

You didn't buy this item from GoClever.

Lidl did.....

and they should, and would most definitely, have been in a position to insist that a faulty item be replaced on behalf of their customer, by invoking their contract with GoClever.

You are relying on a warranty on the item from the manufacturer, which is OK, if that is how you wish to proceed....

but you do have, and all consumers have, a warranty in Law, which gives two years protection, separate from any manufacturers warranty.

The statement regarding them having only 6 items is a load of tosh, and it is shown to be, by the very fact that you have apparently been offered a new item from the manufacturer....

this is a process which Lidl should have undertaken on behalf of their customer, you.

You have accepted that Lidl have no responsibility to ensure the goods you buy from them are of merchantable quality.

They cannot evade this responsibility under Law, and they know this.

Just some quotes may clarify the position:

Buying Goods
    Buying goods

When you buy goods, you enter into a contract with the shop or retailer who sells them to you. The retailer agrees to provide a product or service to you for a certain price. Under consumer law, an item must be:
    • Of merchantable quality – it must be of a reasonable and acceptable standard
    • Fit for the purpose intended – it must be fit for the purpose it was bought for
    • As described – it must match the description given verbally or in an advertisement. False or exaggerated claims must not be made by the retailer

There is no obligation on the shop to give you a receipt for the goods you buy. However, you should always ask for one.

When you buy goods, you are entitled to be dealt with fairly by the salesperson or trader - they should act in good faith, not mislead you about the product or service and avoid using harassment, coercion or undue influence.

Faulty Goods
    Faulty goods – your rights

Where goods turn out to be faulty and where you are not to blame, you have a number of options under consumer law. Faults with goods may be major or minor and present different issues for particular products.

If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.

If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the goods or products so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it.

You may also have extra protection if you have a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer.

Having said all that, I really do hope the replacement from GoClever works out for you....:)

For the record, most Lidl stores only received 6 of the tablets on the day they went on sale - I meant they were warning me that all six had been sold, so there were no more in stock to exchange with.

I'm aware I have rights, but like with a lot of products, you find that their actual company customer care is better, more efficient and faster than that of the company you purchased the item with.

I'm sure a lot of iPhone users on a Vodafone network would agree :p

For the record, most Lidl stores only received 6 of the tablets on the day they went on sale - I meant they were warning me that all six had been sold, so there were no more in stock to exchange with.

I'm aware I have rights, but like with a lot of products, you find that their actual company customer care is better, more efficient and faster than that of the company you purchased the item with.

I'm sure a lot of iPhone users on a Vodafone network would agree :p

That's OK, but none of that invalidates what I posted in both earlier posts.

And, it's OK until you come across a Company which will not stand over the warranty, for whatever reason.

Your legal rights, as outlined above, give you a Statutory Guarantee, in Ireland and any EU country, which is greater and more extensive than most manufacturer warranties, which are generally 1 year.

You deal with the Retailer, as that is the only legally binding Contract you have.

As you know, Lidl has more than 1 Store, and they would have stock available from there, or their Central Depot, or, in the event, from the Manufacturer they procured the faulty item from.

The "only six items in stock" does not wash with a giant Retailer like Lidl, or Aldi, with whom I had my own particular experience....

this was a Microwave oven, which my son purchased in Aldi, which went faulty after week.

He went back to the Store, and was fobbed off with the same excuse you got, only a few were in Stock, so you have to ring the Manufacturer, etc. etc and invoke your warranty.

He went away, as he does not like an argument, and was not going to bother, like a lot of young people, he was going to buy another one somewhere else.

I got wind of this, and took the Microwave back, with full knowledge of my consumer rights, and with a copy of the Consumer Association Doc I have posted.

I demanded to see a Manager, refused to deal with anyone else.

He immediately refunded the full price of the item, without any quibble whatsoever, no discussion even, as they had no more.

He know they were chancing their arm, re no refunds, no replacement, but they will do this, and get away with it, if you are not assertive with them.

Anyway, I am speaking from direct experience with Aldi, and I believe Lidl are the same.

Hope you get much enjoyment from your Tablet, genuinely.

What do you think of the specs, I would think slightly underpowered, at 512 megs RAM.

How is it working out??

• Advertisement

How is it working out??

Actually, it's working out splendidly. I was thinking it would be very slow and sluggish - but it was picked up as it came with the keyboard and an in-built office suite, so would be handy for working on assignments in college or on the bus home. I've since downloaded a few Kairosoft games I love that I had bought for my phone, and they look so much better on the tablet (as well as things being bigger and easier to touch). I've got Netflix as well, and had no problems loading up movies and TV shows to watch with that. I've also put a few eBooks on it, to use with the pre-installed e-reader - again it's perfect. Candy Crush (don't hold it against me :rolleyes: ) can be quite sluggish after a big chain in the bigger levels, and it chugs a bit, but I don't play it often enough for this to cause issues. On full charge, I can get about 3 hours of usage if I am playing, say, Pocket Stables from Kairosoft. I have no idea how long I would get simply reading a book off it. I charged it full last night and plugged it out and left it on the lock screen all night (plugged out at 10.30pm) and at current time, with no usage, the battery has drained to 80%. It does get a little slower the more apps I open, but I can have the ebook reader, a game and Facebook running in the background without any interference. It connects fine to my wireless, and I get a download speed of approx 1.4mb/s.

I only have two issues with it, one is that the screen protector it had on when I bought it is a bit tough to glide your fingers over properly when sliding to unlock or playing a game, and the micro-usb wire for the keyboard kinda dangles over the keys unless you stick something over it to tuck it out of the way.

you still got the screen protector on?? I would dispense with that, for sure, but that's me!!

You should try US Netflix, for better choice....

it's easy with Hola...for your Android, and you can put it on your Laptop/PC, if you want....

and you can get BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Pandora, etc....

If you want the BBC iPlayer App, you also need BBC Media Player on Android, it is in my dropbox somewhere, I'll link it for ya, by PM.....

Advertisement