Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help 1 year old dog..

Options
  • 30-08-2010 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi All.
    I own a dog who is the most loving and playful dog. Only issue is he cant be left home alone.
    He has a seperation anxiety if left indoors when I am away.

I am starting college in two weeks and wondering if anyone knows such a thing as a day kennels and if there is one in tipperary.

Also did anyone use petsitters.com.
    They come to your home and mind your dog..

Does anyone have any ideas what to do. I dont want to get rid of him but I may have no choice as he is constantly chewing things, Including the door frames. NOTHING is safe...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about getting out a dog trainer to show you how to deal with the seperation anxiety? That might be a worthwhile investment before you look at pet sitting, it'll be a more longterm solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 melissa4gar

paid 100 euro to a fella to help with the issues and after two weeks its still the same even though I have been doing everything he said. He is fully trained and just completly freaks out when i leave.

He said it was me who caused it as I was unemployed and he was never left alone for almost a year. Now even if i go out for two minutes unless I bring him he pees or poops, howls, chews everything andis just freaked out..

The guy said it was an anxiety and its very hard to get him ok bout me leaving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You can get herbal anxiety drops from homeopet that if used correctly assist in helping with seperation anxiety. You can "cure" your dog you just need the right methods and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 melissa4gar

suziwalsh wrote: »
    You can get herbal anxiety drops from homeopet that if used correctly assist in helping with seperation anxiety. You can "cure" your dog you just need the right methods and time.

Wow are they safe. I wouldnt mind trying that. I know its very hard thing to cure but anything that helps would be great, Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

Works a treat!! try it its excellent :)

just give your dog time.... when you gho out leave NOTHING around it will take months for your dog to adapt to your new routine... plus if he's eating stuff he shouldnt rub "vicks" vapour rub on it he will NEVER touch it again !

Give him a stuffed bone or kong when you head out... it will keep occupied for a time

Best of Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Yes they work great. Didnt know rescue remedy made them too....I am sure they work just as good. The ones I have used for various anxiety issues are

http://www.homeopet.com/

You can order them for delivery from www.thewaggingtaildunboyne.ie

You can also now get prescription medication from your vets for serious anxiety issues. They need to be used for a long time but and need to be given by vet but definately work without side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

My Border Collie was like that,would go spastic when I would leave.One thing that worked,and it will sound silly,but I put the radio on one of those boring talk stations and it works.She seems fine hearing people even if she can't see them.either that or talk show bores her senseless,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Doggie day care?You would leave but the dog would have the company of other people and dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Tryst

Hiya, to stop your dog chewing things you can get a large cage to keep them in while you are away during the day, this may seem cruel but a friend of mine had to do this until her collie puppy was trained enough to stop chewing the furniture she doesn't need to use it anymore thank goodness. There is more than enough room it them for them to move about and lie down, plus room for food and water bowls. It is only a temporary measure until he is more used to you being away during the day. There is also DAP spray - dog appeasing pheremone spray it uses the same pheremones a mother gives off to puppies while they are little so it is meant to help calm them down a lot, there is also a herbal remedy called calm aid that you could try. Don't worry your dog will get used to you not being there it may just take a bit of time and patience. Do you let him out to toilet outside or walk him in the mornings before you go? If you have the time you might want to try this too as it will become part of a routine for him and will help get rid of some of his excess energy first thing in the morning. It will also mean empty bowels during the day so hopefully fewer accidents. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

cocker5 wrote: »
    http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

Works a treat!! try it its excellent :)
    +1
    We used it first on our dog when she was shipped (by plane) from South Africa to Ireland and she was calm as anything.

Now (due to an unfortunate incident when I cut her nails too short :o) I use it before I have to cut her nails. Very calming.

And it works very well on humans, too, especially if you can't sleep for thinking about stupid work things. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement