Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Against The Grain Mark 2

• 09-03-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

The crowd behind ATG opening up a new pub at the IFSC next month apparently, something to look forward to.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

They are running a competition on their Facebook page to name the bar. Best entrant wins a basket of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The crowd behind ATG opening up a new pub at the IFSC next month apparently, something to look forward to.

ATG mark 3, surely, because there's also the Black Sheep. And that's just counting their Dublin pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

noby wrote: »
    ATG mark 3, surely, because there's also the Black Sheep. And that's just counting their Dublin pubs.

The Black Sheep is ATG mark 1.5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Old Sage Brush

Excited for this. Absolutely love Against the Grain, and dying to get into Black Sheep as it's a) way closer to me, b) has a free tasting bat if you present your cinema ticket (which as an unlimited cineworld card holder I'm very happy to hear :D) and c) gives the perfect excuse for a mini pub crawl where I just go back and forth between it and L Mulligan for a few hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Where Kate's Cottage used to be from what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Where Kate's Cottage used to be from what I've been told.

Kate's Cottage used to be?? Didn't even know it was gone. When did that happen?

Glad to see another bar with more tasty beers coming along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Excited for this. Absolutely love Against the Grain, and dying to get into Black Sheep as it's a) way closer to me, b) has a free tasting bat if you present your cinema ticket (which as an unlimited cineworld card holder I'm very happy to hear :D) and c) gives the perfect excuse for a mini pub crawl where I just go back and forth between it and L Mulligan for a few hours :D

I was in the black sheep yesterday. It's really nice. Great selection of beer too, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ian_m wrote: »
    Kate's Cottage used to be?? Didn't even know it was gone. When did that happen?

Afaik it went into liquidation at some stage since the NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

I saw Kate's cottage was up for sale/lease......seemed to be going for a song!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got to The Black Sheep last week for a few pints on a flying visit to Dublin.
    I gotta say, I liked the decor but, as has been mentioned in other reviews, the acoustics in there are terrible. It wasn't terribly busy and there wasn't loud music playing but it was very noisy all the same - that babble you get in large spaces with hard surfaces. A bit of dampening would work wonders.

There were 2 casks on at the time (should be four by now) and a really good bottle and draught selection - HopHead on cask was very very good:D. I was pleased to see that half pints are half the price of pints. And prices generally were pretty reasonable (for Dublin). I got a bottle of Jaipur for the bargain price of €5.50.

Staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

I was too late for food so can't comment on that.

I like this pub, probably be my go to beer bar in Dublin now - please put some soft surfaces it to help the acoustics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Does anybody have an opening date for The Brew Dock (Kate's Cottage)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

have eaten twice in the black sheep and its very good - roast beef sandwich with boozy onions, mmmm. The barman is great too and they are kid friendly which is a big help to us.

Is it just me or is the food in Mulligans overpriced for what you get? I like it but have never been blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sweetie wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the food in Mulligans overpriced for what you get? I like it but have never been blown away by it.
    Overpriced? If anything I'd say it's great value considering what you'd get for the same money in the average pub in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Does anybody have an opening date for The Brew Dock (Kate's Cottage)?
    Wednesday 11th, I'm told. 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

BeerNut wrote: »
    Wednesday 11th, I'm told. 5pm.

Damnit... I'll be in Munich... missed the opening of The Black Sheep too by a day.

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Damnit... I'll be in Munich... missed the opening of The Black Sheep too by a day.

Is there anything particularly special about catching the opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BaZmO* wrote: »
    i doubt it going by the black sheeps opening, no gimmicks just good beer etc

adamski8 wrote: »
    i doubt it going by the black sheeps opening, no gimmicks just good beer etc

I didn't think so, so I was wondering why it'd be so important to catch the opening night.

Yes.

I am very excited about the whole thing! Nearest pub to me which sells a decent range of craft beers... and well... just very very excited... :D

Yes.

I am very excited about the whole thing! Nearest pub to me which sells a decent range of craft beers... and well... just very very excited... :D

Well at least you have The Black Sheep and Mk2 within walking distance of each other....and if you're feeling really adventurous you could take a stroll down to Mulligans! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I didn't think so, so I was wondering why it'd be so important to catch the opening night.
    whoops thought you were asking the question in hope not querying the other poster!
    wouldnt missing the opening be better anyway, taps being used etc, staff more used to things, less people maybe

adamski8 wrote: »
    wouldnt missing the opening be better anyway, taps being used etc, staff more used to things, less people maybe
    That'd be my reckonin' anyway. Although if the pub was just next door, I suppose it would probably maybe perhaps nice to be at the opening.

Well at least you have The Black Sheep and Mk2 within walking distance of each other....and if you're feeling really adventurous you could take a stroll down to Mulligans! :)

Mk2???

Do tell... what is this?

Is this code for Kavangh's?

Mk2???

Do tell... what is this?

Is this code for Kavangh's?

Have a look at the thread title for a clue. ;)

Have a look at the thread title for a clue. ;)

Ah! OK, I thought perhaps there was a place I hadn't come across before...

:( disappointment :(

When I first moved to the IFSC local bars didn't bother opening on a Saturday or Sunday... things have gotten so much better over the past 5 years or so but to have something as rarefied as a craft beer pub within crawling distance is indeed something to celebrate... I just want to be able to say that I was there on the night!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Overpriced? If anything I'd say it's great value considering what you'd get for the same money in the average pub in Dublin.

Totally agree here, food in Mulligans is top class, I've never been disappointed and it's very good value, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was in The Black Sheep a few weeks ago had some good beers and good food which hit the spot.
    The staff were very good also and helpfull which is an extra plus.

My only gripe was the noise. It seemed like I was in a school hall with loads of people trying to talk over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry for the bump but what's the food menu like for the Black Sheep?
    Thinking of heading in on Sunday evening for grub and craft pints but can't seem to find a menu online.

Edit: found it on their Facebook page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump but what's the food menu like for the Black Sheep?
    Thinking of heading in on Sunday evening for grub and craft pints but can't seem to find a menu online.

Edit: found it on their Facebook page!

The food is quite nice there, simple but effective. Last time I was there I only had the soup, it was delish and great value though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I've had a chicken burger (with a mango salsa thing) there before, hit the spot nicely. The chips are proper chunky ones too. I'd happily eat there again with a pint!

Advertisement