Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody watch for a second time

• 26-11-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Anybody here watch the wire for a second time ,i have the box set and enjoyed watching ,don't know if it would be as enjoyable a second time round

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Its better the second time,you know the characters from your first watch and now you pick up on all these things that you missed before. Especially the 2nd season. rated it my least favourite season after my first watch but after my 2nd and 3rd watch its my 2nd favourite season just behind season 4.

Give some time in between watches obviously but ye its definitely worth watching again,

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Ye its been about 2 years since i watched , so might give it another go ,it is a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

might watch it again,was really good the first time round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

tvnutz wrote: »
    now you pick up on all these things that you missed before

Yes, it's amazing how much more you get the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I watched the whole lot over a week recently. (NO job to go to)

Even better 2nd time around.

I went back to the series that The Wire was based on afterwards. Its called The Corner. Even grittier. And lots of the actors are the same ones as in TW such as

Lester Freamon is a junkie
    The school mistress is a crab packing shed manager
    Etc

I re-watched it before watching Love/hate on RTE. hmmm!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I watched it first time round and immensley enjoyed it. I don't think I could go through the whole thing again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

greendom wrote: »
    I watched it first time round and immensley enjoyed it. I don't think I could go through the whole thing again though.

Honestly, do. I'd give it at least a year in between watches. The amount of things you pick up on that you wouldn't have noticed first time round is ridiculous and it's what makes the show so good imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I watched an episode the other night and even though I love the show and knew what was going to happen I was still surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm defo on for a re-watch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

im currently watching it now.just starting season 2 givin it a new chance as i didnt like it the last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Just watched episode 1 of series 1 last night ,think im gonna enjoy the wire for a second time :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Just started watching it for 4th time round, still picking out little details I missed the first 3 times around. Every time I watch it, it cements itself further as the greatest show of all time. No other show comes even close to it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Watched it 3 times in one year....already getting the need to watch it again. I can't explain, it just seems to get under your skin like no other show does. I even visited Baltimore the summer just gone, that's how bad it got :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    #Jaysus Havingcrack

I kno things are bad for U right now, but DO U REALLY NEED A TOTAL REVIEW???

You've done the visit to Baltimore last Summer...

FOOK IT. YOU CAME BAK ALONG WITH 2,130,239 registered externals..

So how de Fook do we pick u out?

'Coz you're Dead! I kno, U fail the TOTAL REVIEW.

Righttttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Really worth a second watch. You spot things that you missed first time round

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Not to mention things that are fopreshadowed that you couldn't possibly have noticed forst time round (like Omar's future assassin playing at being Omar in the street)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Conzea

I've watched it 3 or 4 times now.
    I was really surprised at how good the second series was. I had been indifferent the first time but on re-watching I began to appreciate the magnificent job that was done at ending some storylines while at the same time setting the the next series up. Paticularly impressive considering the series included its own self-contained storyline.
    So yeah.....Watch it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Not yet but will do.

I've lent out the box set and am expecting it back very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Watching it again and it's just as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Watching it again on Sky Atlantic, its possibly even better then the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

kryogen wrote: »
    Watching it again on Sky Atlantic, its possibly even better then the first time.

Season 2 just concluded on Sky Atlantic, really glad I watched it again a second time.

Season 3 (Hamsterdam!) beginning next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah, the final episode eason 2 felt more rushed this time around, still enjoyed it, possible spoiler?
    except the start, I liked Frank so hated knowing he was gonna be killed in the second last episode then seeing him dead in the final episode :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've watched all of it a second time. You forget some of what happens and then you notice things that you had not noticed before. Well worth watching for a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Tesco UK have 1-5 series complete box set for £46.45

get 15% off when you spend £25 on anything 150FF25

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/dvd/the-wire-series-1-5-complete-box-set/8:554915?

Free UK delivery

You can get this delivered over here using this service

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056698663

https://www.parcelmotel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I've watched it 8 times now (:o) but even on the eight viewing I was picking up on small things I had missed. It's amazing, my favourite ever show. I'm sure I'll watch it again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eaglebhoy

I'm following it on Sky Atlantic too, it's my 1st time watching it and I'm really enjoying it, also Thank God for Sky Plus etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have watched it 4 or 5 times at this stage. Keeps getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Only seen season 1 for a second time, and it was really enjoyable as you know who everyone is from the very start. I found it took a few episodes the first time round to learn who everyone was since there is such a vast amount of street/police characters introduced at once, I definitely picked up alot that I missed before.

Looking forward to watching the rest when I have the chance. Season 2 was probably my least favourite season but as many have said(including here), you appreciate it alot more the second time round, so that should be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recently watched the first two seasons again. It's been 4 years since I finished the show.

It's very good TV, but on a rewatch I do find myself asking if it's as good as the hype. And well, on the basis of season 1, and not going on blind loyalty, I'd be inclined to say perhaps not. I've only watched Breaking Bad once, and it's still on the air so maybe that has something to do with it, but it feels a little more creatively inventive.

You do notice more things on a rewatch and the slow burn doesn't seem anywhere near as slow compared to the first time around, but that's not a complaint. I don't know what I'd mention as a specific weakness, but some of the other seasons are stronger.

Re the chess scene -
    that's basically the theme for the whole first season, isn't it? You've got your pieces of various ranks, strategies and well, 'the king, stay the king'.
    Put spoiler tags on this just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Recently watched the first two seasons again. It's been 4 years since I finished the show.

It's very good TV, but on a rewatch I do find myself asking if it's as good as the hype. And well, on the basis of season 1, and not going on blind loyalty, I'd be inclined to say perhaps not. I've only watched Breaking Bad once, and it's still on the air so maybe that has something to do with it, but it feels a little more creatively inventive.

Re the chess scene -
    that's basically the theme for the whole first season, isn't it? You've got your pieces of various ranks, strategies and well, 'the king, stay the king'.
    Put spoiler tags on this just in case.

BB is no where near the level The Wire reached in terms of artistic merit. BB is an excellent show and wonderful televisual entertainment but it just does not come close to The Wire. Greek tragedy, American literature and drama, Shakespearean drama are abundant throughout as well as being an excellent critique of modern society.

Advertisement