Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Placements--School year details please?

Options
  • 10-05-2009 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hey, I'm deciding between law and law with german. I need to know what sort of school year is spent in Germany for the third year. How many chances are there to visit home etc. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Hey - I'm studying Law and German and in third year now, so am currently in Germany. The weather is 26 degrees so if that's any odds to you...

OK so the academic year in Germany goes like so - Oct-Feb with Christmas off, then two months off (!) followed by a second term, end of April-end of July. Easy to go home if you create the right timetable - I'm in Erlangen which is near Nuremberg so a Munich-Cork flight is perfect. I'm not so sure about the ease of travel in Konstanz or Marburg, the other two options open to law students.
    Now as to whether you should do Law or Law German is a persona decision. I'm very happy with my choice, not least because being an Erasmus student is one of the most amazing (and fun!) opportunities of my life! I can guarantee that should you choose to Law Language, you will not regret a second of the time you spend away.
    That said, it is tough to leave, with homesickness and so forth. Especially when all your classmates would have graduated on your return (Law is only 3 years). There are times when it is lonely, but it is so rewarding.
    So not that many lectures, exams semesterised and (whispers) you can't fail the Law. Lectures intimidating at first because it is total immersion, completely in German, and it takes a while getting used to. Generally everyone is in the same boat though.
    So long answer short, its not the third year you need to worry about! The hardest part of the degree is juggling the two majors, and it does require alot of juggling because German as studied in college is very different to LC German. Faster paced, taught very differently...anyway.
    Best of luck in reaching your decision, and if you do do German, don't stress about the year abroad!!!

Advertisement