Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hey guys great thread. Ive been doing plenty of research but still have one or two questions and was hopin maybe that one or two of you might be able to help me?

Ive pretty much made my mind up that I want to go in September.
    Is it too early yet to be gathering documents etc or should I just go ahead and do it.

Hey there. No, it's not too early to start gathering your docs. gathering necessary docs will take longer that you think. start that now.

Also I have pretty much decided that I want to try and get a job in Incheon. It seems to be a nice compromise between Seoul and something a bit smaller/less polluted etc. Any thoughts?

I live in seoul. i know a few folk living out in Incheon. i believe incheon is nice but seoul is where its at for entertainment, nights out, shopping, culture and food. all the folk i know in incheon are always coming to seoul at weekends.

I have also pretty much decided to try and get a public school job. However can you apply directly to these? Do you have to go through recruiter or do you have to actually go through EPIK? Dont really like the idea of EPIK as you dont know where youre going and also they seem to offer slightly less than other jobs Ive seen advertised.

good choice. I think you are better off in public school for your first year, at least. but no, you cannot apply directly to public schools. you either have to apply through EPIK directly or through a recruiter who works with EPIK, in order to get into a public school.

yes, you won't know where you're going until your last day of orientation which takes place for 1 week when you arrive in korea. however, on your application form you can state your top 3 preferred locations and if you get your app in early enough, you may get your 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice. that's why its important to get cracking on your app now and to get it in asap.

Also I am pretty sure that I will be going alone. Chances are (or so Ive read) that I may be the only ESL teacher in a public school. No house mates etc so am a bit worried about how to make friends? Im very social and chatty but literally wouldnt know how to go about it at all? Just turn up to random ex pat bars by myself?! :confused:

yes, if you work in a public school, its highly probable you will be the only foreign teacher there. don't let that put you off. you will be assigned a co-teacher who will speak english and will help you settle in. there will be some teachers in your school who can speak english and generally the staff at public schools are very nice. i teach elementary in a seoul public school. i'm the only foreign teacher there. it's not a problem for me at all.

don't worry about making friends. orientation is where you meet lots of other new teachers from abroad and you will make plenty of friends. you will have an instant social circle. and there's bound to be a few from ireland, there always is.

my advice - get cracking on your application this week.

you should know that public schools in the seoul metropolitan area are no longer hiring high school and middle school english teachers. due to budget cuts. so, if you decide you want to teach in seoul, it'll have to be in an elementary school. at the moment, this only applies to the seoul metro area.

Anyway I have enough rambling done, so if anyone could shed a bit of light on any of my queries it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks!

best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

best of luck with it all.

Thanks so much that was very helpful! Will get cracking on my application as soon as possible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

babyfratelli_x I think you should start gathering your documents now, might as well get it out of they way. Just bear in mind that at the time of application your criminal background check has to be no less than six months old.

I just arrived in Bucheon a few days ago. I'm working for a public elementary school -you probably will too. As far as I know Gyeonggi-do province has drastically cut ESL teachers in middle and high schools.

I came alone and didn't get any orientation so I was worried about meeting people too, but i found a foreigner bar and just forced myself to go up to a table of people and say hi. that was actually pretty hard for me haha. but they were all so nice, and they took me out to Bupyeong (party spot in Incheon) and I met a ton of foreigners and went out with them the next night and met a ton more! So don't worry about that, but as JFitz said, you'll have orientation and meet a TON of people.

incheon sounds like good choice for what you want. i havent been to seoul from bucheon yet, but people say it's 30-40 minutes, i guess more like an hour from incheon. at first I was dead set on being in Seoul but then I realised i could get to Hongdae quicker from Bucheon than from many areas in Seoul where I was being offered jobs. My friends in Incheon seem to like it a lot -they like going to Seoul but they also love going out in Incheon.

babyfratelli_x I think you should start gathering your documents now, might as well get it out of they way. Just bear in mind that at the time of application your criminal background check has to be no less than six months old.

I just arrived in Bucheon a few days ago. I'm working for a public elementary school -you probably will too. As far as I know Gyeonggi-do province has drastically cut ESL teachers in middle and high schools.

I came alone and didn't get any orientation so I was worried about meeting people too, but i found a foreigner bar and just forced myself to go up to a table of people and say hi. that was actually pretty hard for me haha. but they were all so nice, and they took me out to Bupyeong (party spot in Incheon) and I met a ton of foreigners and went out with them the next night and met a ton more! So don't worry about that, but as JFitz said, you'll have orientation and meet a TON of people.

incheon sounds like good choice for what you want. i havent been to seoul from bucheon yet, but people say it's 30-40 minutes, i guess more like an hour from incheon. at first I was dead set on being in Seoul but then I realised i could get to Hongdae quicker from Bucheon than from many areas in Seoul where I was being offered jobs. My friends in Incheon seem to like it a lot -they like going to Seoul but they also love going out in Incheon.

Thanks so much thats also really helpful.

Do you mind me asking how you didnt get any orientation although you are at a public school?

Also any other reccomendations on what recruitment agencies to go through? I like the sound of where you are too. I was looking at applying through GEPIK for that area around Seoul or else Incheon as I was saying. Dont quite fancy being in Seoul city centre but of course I plan on probably visiting a lot and going out there. I just think it would be nice to be able to get out of there sometimes too!

Thanks again for the replies! :)

Hey

I was applying through recruiters for private school jobs because I didn't like the idea of not choosing my exact location, and then one recruiter sent me the info about a public school in Bucheon, and I jumped at it.

I think I didn't get orientation because there wasn't time, or maybe it had something to do with going through a recruiter. I only got the job two weeks before i flew out. as far as i know, the next time there is a big GEPIK training session i might be sent then.

i signed up with tons of recruiters but my favourite (and who got me my job) were teacheslkorea@gmail.com email them!

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking how you didnt get any orientation although you are at a public school?

Yeah, I must say, I'm curious about this too. EPIK orientation was last week.

Also any other reccomendations on what recruitment agencies to go through?

I went with Korea Connections and I thought they were very nice. Very professional. I dealt with Jamie (female) and Jay Lee (male). They kept me informed all the way through the process.
    I hear Korvia are very good too.

Cool, tanx very much I will give all those recommended a go.

I have just applied through ATC, worknplay, and parkenglish.

We shall see how it goes.

Also one more question ( I promise!) I would rather head over at the end of September. I have my graduation (postgrad) at beginning of September, and would rather not miss it. Of course I will if necessary, but do you think there is much chance of getting a job then or would I have to be there for end of August for orientation?

I would really like to attend orientation to make friends, but cant decide what to put on forms when it says earliest start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Babyfratelli, just so you know you can only apply once for EPIK.
    You can usually use one recruiter to apply for EPIK, otherwise your application will be cancelled.
    I started with EPIK last August and I left Ireland on August 17th to arrive in Korea on August 18th. This is the main orientation.
    A smaller orientation group started sometime in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

hey all!

I'm still looking for a job because I was silly and turned down all the ones I was offered a few weeks ago because I was in the middle of my CELTA and didn't want to have to deal with organising everything. :(

Now I am looking again! I've not been offered much. But I have been offered twice now to be flown out next week and do a visa run to Japan. From stuff I've read before, this is a bad idea, right? :confused:

Help!

R.D.

it's bound to be slower now with all the public school contracts beginning March 1st, but you'll still find something. Personally, I wouldnt do a visa run -I guess it depends how much of a rush you're in to leave.

and if you haven't already, I'd sign up to some new recruiters than the ones you turned down lots of jobs with. Or maybe shoot those recruiters an email explaining you're eager and ready now.

• Advertisement

R.D.

it's bound to be slower now with all the public school contracts beginning March 1st, but you'll still find something. Personally, I wouldnt do a visa run -I guess it depends how much of a rush you're in to leave.

and if you haven't already, I'd sign up to some new recruiters than the ones you turned down lots of jobs with. Or maybe shoot those recruiters an email explaining you're eager and ready now.

Thanks! I've actually been offered a job in Bucheon that starts as soon as I can get my documents sent over/visa sorted etc.

I've also got interviews for 2 different jobs that both start in May. So i'm biding my time with the recruiter to see where i stand with those first.

I was very down about the whole thing yesterday because I felt i was getting nowhere but things are brightening up now!!! The drama of going to Korea to teach! :p

This is kinda off topic, but maybe someone can help.

I'll be finishing up in South Korea in late August and I'm thinking about teaching english somewhere else after that. Could anyone recommend any other countries for teaching english in? starting in august or september this year. Not Japan, i've just been on holidays there - it was lovely but that's that itch scratched. And not Asia - i've seen a lot of it at this stage. i'd be interested in Europe and South America.

Ta much.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

baby fratelli, I've been in Incheon since August. If you have any questions about the place fire away.

vicecreamsundae, glad you enjoyed Bupyeong! There is a pub quiz in Cheap Shots every Thursday which is a great way to meet even more foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beccibear

Hi Guys! I'm set on going to South Korea within the next month and have been intouch with a recruiter over the last 2 months. She called me today (as I have just completed collecting all the necessary visa docs that I need) to ask about my preferences etc. I stated that I would prefer to work with adults or teens and would prefer a public school location in Central Seoul. She said that as I do not have an English teaching certification - a public school job would be impossible for me to get and also Seoul jobs are rare at the moment. Also she said that it would be difficult to locate me in an adult/teen teaching position. She went on to email me a potential job in Ilsan (Hagwon) with a salary of 2.1m won. Do you think that this recruiter is just trying to lay all of the undesirable jobs on me???! I just want to get some other opinions on this recruiter before I send her off all my documents!! Thanks! If I'm going to spend a year in Korea I just want to make sure that I'll enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

beccibear wrote: »
    Thanks! If I'm going to spend a year in Korea I just want to make sure that I'll enjoy it!

We'll you don't have to get a public school job to enjoy your year. I know plenty of people that love their hagwon and are having a blast here too. Are you just working with the one recruiter? I would try and work with others, as you will get offers of many other jobs. Some schools will only work with certain recruiters so it's the luck of the draw.

Seoul jobs don't seem to be few and far between. Seoul is a huge city so there are jobs everywhere. Just remember with a public school job you will more than likely be the only english speaking foreigner in the school which sounds hard to me. I work in a hagwon near the end of line 1 and I'm blessed to have 3 other Irish teachers, an American and a Kiwi.

2.1 is a normal wage. 2.0 is the minimum I would be looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Beccibear, teen and adult jobs are far rarer than jobs teaching children. To teach adults you would either have to teach in a uiversity, which people generally dont get on their first visa or need a masters in linguistics. Or you would be doing split shifts starting very early in the morning for a few hours and then again late at night for a few hours.

To teach teens you would need to be in a middle school, these jobs are also much less available and difficult to get. Along with this central Seoul is probably one of the most popular areas, so you would have stiff competition.

Saying this, its not totally unheard of but to get one within a month would be pushing it.

Teaching children is easier than it sounds and most people love it. There are so many more teaching methods that apply to children than older teens or adults.

If you're certain you want adults/teens then I'd suggest widening you search to outside of Seoul or talking longer to look.

But i cannot stress enough how important it is to do research, talk to past/current teachers, ask about accom etc. Don't just settle because you get an offer, make sure its worth it!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beccibear

Thanks for the reply guys! I have 2 masters degrees in business related areas and I had hoped that this might provide me with some bargaining power but I guess not :(
    Taking your points into consideration - I will just concentrate on finding suitable positions teaching children.
    Has anyone got any recommendations as to nice areas to work/live? I was tied between Busan and Seoul as i really like the idea of living beside the beach and i also wanted Seoul for the big city feel. My recruiter mentioned Ilsan but I was just concerned as to it's proximity to Seoul.
    Gahhhhh!! So many decisions - so little time!!

Ok everyone!

I finally accepted a job!!!

It is in Nowon. From my research it seems like quite a quiet area but I think that might be a good thing :p

I'm just sending my documents today. So now I need to figure out what the story is with the Korean Embassy in Dublin, do I need to ring ahead much in advance? I'm living in Donegal so I need to make sure I get it right first time cause I don't want to have to be going up and down!!!!

Also I have another question: did any of your recruiters give you hassle about pre-paying the airfare? Mine said it is difficult to get the travel agent to get it organised because it's from Ireland. I'm just wondering how true this is, because I don't want to push the issue if it is true!

Thanks! So exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

For anyone wishing to play GAA in Seoul.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=570700906

Great community of Irish and other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Hi guys,

I worked as a public middle school teacher in Seoul for two years, so if you have any questions about the public school system fire away.

I'm still in Korea but I've finished my contract and am coming home to Ireland in two weeks.

Oh, one quick thing - the Irish community in Korea may be small but it's fantastic. The Irish ambassador is dead on. He's very communicative with Irish living here and he's active in promoting Ireland and Irish events in Korea. You should register with the embassy when you get here and they'll send you regular updates and relevant information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Ok everyone!

I finally accepted a job!!!

It is in Nowon. From my research it seems like quite a quiet area but I think that might be a good thing :p

I'm just sending my documents today. So now I need to figure out what the story is with the Korean Embassy in Dublin, do I need to ring ahead much in advance? I'm living in Donegal so I need to make sure I get it right first time cause I don't want to have to be going up and down!!!!

Also I have another question: did any of your recruiters give you hassle about pre-paying the airfare? Mine said it is difficult to get the travel agent to get it organised because it's from Ireland. I'm just wondering how true this is, because I don't want to push the issue if it is true!

Thanks! So exciting!

Nowon is grand. It's got everything you need. Great cinema and enough restaurants. On the subway, it's under 40 minutes from Itaewon, where foreigners hang out.

It's big hagwon territory. So there are lots of other hagwon teachers there. Nowon that is.

St Patrick's Day (Seoul)

The Irish Association of Korea are hosting festivities in Sindorim (Where Line 2 and Line 1 meet, 5 stops south of Hongdae on Line 2).

Think there's going to be good craic had with trad music etc. I think most of the Seoul Gaels will be going there anyway.

When I have more details I'll post it up. Should be an all day mega session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

http://iak.co.kr/events/st-patricks-2012/

Someone posted this on fb....looks interesting! Wouldn't mind going to a ceili! :D

hey
    maybe a long shot but does anyone know where I can find info (in English) about the bus system in Bucheon? I'm finding it impossible to figure out!!

hey
    maybe a long shot but does anyone know where I can find info (in English) about the bus system in Bucheon? I'm finding it impossible to figure out!!

If it's a local route you want information on, use google maps. Drop a pin on your departure street/location and save to bookmarks as <insert any name here> then drop a pin on your destination street/location and get directions from one to the other.

It will tell you which buses go from a to b and the time of the next one. It's brilliant.

If it's regional buses you're looking for, there is a website but I'm not sure what it's called. You could ask on eslcafe.com/forums/korea.

hey

If it's a local route you want information on, use google maps. Drop a pin on your departure street/location and save to bookmarks as <insert any name here> then drop a pin on your destination street/location and get directions from one to the other.

It will tell you which buses go from a to b and the time of the next one. It's brilliant.

If it's regional buses you're looking for, there is a website but I'm not sure what it's called. You could ask on eslcafe.com/forums/korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

hello,

Just one quick question, any help would be great.

Am I am able to use a commissioner for oaths/solicitor for my degree and birth cert photocopies? Will that be ok? She said it is just a matter of stamping them.

At first she thought it was a form and suggested I go to a public notary which I really dont want to fork out for.

When I said it was just to authenticitate a birth cert and degree she said they could do it for free.

Is there a difference between commissioner for oaths and notary :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

jimw1988 wrote: »
    hello,

Just one quick question, any help would be great.

Am I am able to use a commissioner for oaths/solicitor for my degree and birth cert photocopies? Will that be ok? She said it is just a matter of stamping them.

At first she thought it was a form and suggested I go to a public notary which I really dont want to fork out for.

When I said it was just to authenticitate a birth cert and degree she said they could do it for free.

Is there a difference between commissioner for oaths and notary :confused:

Anyone? Hoping to get it done this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Commissioner of oaths is perfect. I'm applying for an E2 visa a the moment but have been to Korea before on a short term C4 visa and it was perfectly acceptable. Never heard of anyone needing their birth cert though??

Advertisement