Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burning wet 'green' wood in open fire

Options
  • 26-09-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

It's my second question here in two days so obviously I'm having a great time...

I just got a pile of logs, probably freshly cut (some still covered in moss and mud on some of them). My question is if it's at all safe to burn them in a small fireplace (I've recently cleaned the chimneys and would have a fireguard up)? I know it could lead to a build-up of creosote in the long-run but in the short term (months) would it be too risky? What do others think here... anyone burn green wood?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's my second question here in two days so obviously I'm having a great time...

I just got a pile of logs, probably freshly cut (some still covered in moss and mud on some of them). My question is if it's at all safe to burn them in a small fireplace (I've recently cleaned the chimneys and would have a fireguard up)? I know it could lead to a build-up of creosote in the long-run but in the short term (months) would it be too risky? What do others think here... anyone burn green wood?

Do not burn damp timber. You'll destroy your chimney, and the heat output will be terrible. But most importantly it'll be terrible for the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FT7

ash is the only timber you could use fresh with some degree of efficiency as mentioned others will have poor heat and cause a build up of tar on the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Is there any way to quickly dry (or somewhat dry) this timber? I have a good bit of it and from what I'm learning it's useless until next Winter at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

If the timber has a high moisture content, the energy that is within itself will be used first to burn off that moisture. That's why it will not burn properly & not give off any measurable amount of heat.

Is there any way to quickly dry (or somewhat dry) this timber? I have a good bit of it and from what I'm learning it's useless until next Winter at least...

it will dry fastest logged, stack it loosely where the the wind and sun can get through it but not rain

an open lean too type shed is best

what type of time is it?

I sell fire firewood, I am now felling next years supply.

• Advertisement

Would you believe there is actually a wood pellet manufacturer in this country that dries their wood to achieve the Argrement level of moisture content with oil boilers! You could only find it in Ireland!!!

FT7 wrote: »
    it will dry fastest logged, stack it loosely where the the wind and sun can get through it but not rain

an open lean too type shed is best

what type of time is it?

I sell fire firewood, I am now felling next years supply.

Thanks for the tips. So stacked and in a good drying position but would there be a noticeable difference in two months say?

This'll teach me to ask questions before buying...

IMO you generally want at least 6 months but that would depend on time of year & the weather.

So out of curiosity- how much would people pay here for a 6X4 trailer load of freshly cut wood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So out of curiosity- how much would people pay here for a 6X4 trailer load of freshly cut wood?

I wouldnt pay anything for freshly cut wood, Id pay for seasoned wood though.

• Advertisement

If seasoned, about €100 for hardwood & less for softwood. In a 6 x 4, it would have to be piled fairly high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

anyone burn green wood?

No , never. I have had an open fire for 20+ years and it's a waste of time burning fresh timber , it will never take flame and in some cases it will kill your fire. Take what timber you have stack it on a pallet to keep it off the dam wet ground and wait till next year , no need to cover it.

I wouldnt pay anything for freshly cut wood, Id pay for seasoned wood though.

Commercial timber(leylandii,pine etc) €50 , Good timber(Beech,Ash) €75

Over the last year I have been buying forestry timber , €50 a square metre , but it needs to be cut and transported by me , but there is a hell of a lot of timber in a square metre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

A friend brings me a trailer load down from Belfast occasionally, £35/m3, fills a 6x4 trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    Would you believe there is actually a wood pellet manufacturer in this country that dries their wood to achieve the Argrement level of moisture content with oil boilers! You could only find it in Ireland!!!

Zero emmisions electric cars powered by fossil fuel !

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Thanks for the tips. So stacked and in a good drying position but would there be a noticeable difference in two months say?

This'll teach me to ask questions before buying...

Did you split it first, it will dry faster than just cut into logs. I split mine into 1/4's then stack it. seems to dry the quickest that way

we charge €75 per cubic meter delivered, for seasoned dry hard wood

Did you split it first, it will dry faster than just cut into logs. I split mine into 1/4's then stack it. seems to dry the quickest that way

yes it will dry faster , and also some wood splits easier when fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do not burn damp timber. You'll destroy your chimney, and the heat output will be terrible. But most importantly it'll be terrible for the chimney

Not to mention annoying any neighbours you might have bigtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Not to mention annoying any neighbours you might have bigtime!

How?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

godwin wrote: »
    No , never. I have had an open fire for 20+ years and it's a waste of time burning fresh timber , it will never take flame and in some cases it will kill your fire. Take what timber you have stack it on a pallet to keep it off the dam wet ground and wait till next year , no need to cover it.

Commercial timber(leylandii,pine etc) €50 , Good timber(Beech,Ash) €75

Over the last year I have been buying forestry timber , €50 a square metre , but it needs to be cut and transported by me , but there is a hell of a lot of timber in a square metre

Could you cut that on site before you take it away?

How do you go about contacting the forestry.

The Coillte site says minimum load of 30m^3 Delivery only.
    I'd never have the space for that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

"Bag" the pile with a sealed polythene envelope and install a dehumidifier running off a solar panel system. It'll work off the mains but not quite so "green".
    Buy a moisture meter and when it gets to 10% you are good to go.

Advertisement