Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who believes in Bigfoot?

• 03-10-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Looking at the footage of Bigfoot it really looks like a man in a suit but its hard to tell really because the film is so grainy. Plus remeber the size of that footprint they found,hard to explain that really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Who believes in bigfoot? People who just can't let go of the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy...

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

endacl wrote: »
    Who believes in bigfoot? People who just can't let go of the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy...
    Yeah but the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy have never been captured on camera

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I believe! Some forests in north America are mahooooosive, and I think the Sasquatch are very small in numbers, and afraid of humans, and also intelligent enough to hide when they feel threatened.

Sully34 wrote: »
    Yeah but the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy have never been captured on camera
    Neither has bigfoot, dude. You said so yourself. Man in a suit.

I believe! Some forests in north America are mahooooosive, and I think the Sasquatch are very small in numbers, and afraid of humans, and also intelligent enough to hide when they feel threatened.
    So where do the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy live?

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All this time & nobody has found a dead one, the remains of one, actually, not a single hair of one has ever been found.

Im saying no. I know the areas are really massive but still, if we were to cross paths with them so often then we're either close to them or there's loads of them. The complete lack of evidence is what gets me.

And as for that video? Masterful hoax

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

So where do the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy live?

:-)

Please familiarise yourself with the charter before posting here.
    This is not a forum for the closed minded or for trolling those that do believe.
    If you continue like this, you will be banned.

EnterNow's post is a good example of how you can post without belittling those that do believe.

EnterNow wrote: »
    All this time & nobody has found a dead one, the remains of one, actually, not a single hair of one has ever been found.

Im saying no. I know the areas are really massive but still, if we were to cross paths with them so often then we're either close to them or there's loads of them. The complete lack of evidence is what gets me.

Personally, "I want one believe", but while there has been loads of supposed evidence over the years, there is no concrete evidence, and certainly no credible evidence (to my mind)

Personally, "I want one believe", but while there has been loads of supposed evidence over the years, there is no concrete evidence, and certainly no credible evidence (to my mind)

Oh I'm the same, I even had this poster when growing up :o

896264_563962.jpg

Huge fan of X-Files etc & have a strong interest in anything 'out of the ordinary'. As I've gotten older though, it gets clearer to me all the time that the world just isn't as interesting as I'd like it to be. I've less an less faith in paranormal type things, & money driven corruption seems to be the only thing lurking beneath the shadows unfortunately.

Still though, my mind is open to these things, its just I need more than stories of locals looking to get on the tv to be convinced.

EnterNow wrote: »

I think they live in families and Bury their dead :o

• Advertisement

I think they live in families and Bury their dead :o

Very hard to spot a bigfoot in America so...large, primitive, & a fear of outsiders. Bigfoot would blend right in :p

{Apologies to any Americans, but, c'mon it was funny...right? Right??}

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

was sick for a few days there a while back and managed to watch a marathon of ancient aliens. There was one particular show about bigfoot which was to me the least believable of all the theories they've come up with.
    I quite liked the show anyway, but yeah..

that said, it's quite an interesting myth, and oddly enough it's not constrained to just the USA either. There are plenty of other legends and myths about bigfoot type creatures (cryptids) from the big guy himself to the nepalese yeti and wildmen myths.

imo, that if these similar myths of wildmen etc.. exist and have existed for such a long time without each of the cultures that have them knowing about the other, there must be something to it. Though the explanation could be a lot more boring than an undiscovered species.

Personally, i think the video is a hoax, but based on the myths and legends it's probably based on what it is.. wildmen. ie: feral human(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Certainly many different human species lived at the same time, right up until at least 20,000-30,000 years ago. There were the Denisovans, the Neanderthals, the Flores people..and probably a few more. The Denisovans were only discovered a couple of years ago, we even have some of their DNA..mind blowing stuff. How do we know they existed? A single fingerbone and two teeth!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=denisovan-genome

Here is the cave where the remains were discovered.
    http://biologos.org/uploads/static-content/denisova_cave.jpg

Who were the Denisovans?

Unfortunately, the Denisovan genome doesn't provide many more clues about what this hominin looked like than a pinky bone does. The researchers will only conclude that Denisovans likely had dark skin. They also note that there are alleles "consistent" with those known to call for brown hair and brown eyes. Other than that, they cannot say.

Yet the new genetic analysis does support the hypothesis that Neandertals and Denisovans were more closely related to one another than either was to modern humans. The analysis suggests that the modern human line diverged from what would become the Denisovan line as long as 700,000 years ago—but possibly as recently as 170,000 years ago.

The Denisovans might be the first non-Neandertal archaic human to be sequenced, but they are likely not going to be the last. The researchers behind this new study are already at work using the new single-strand sequencing technique to reexamine older specimens. (Meyer said they were working on reassessing old samples but would not specify which specimens they were studying—the mysterious "hobbit" H. floresiensis would be a worthy candidate.) Pääbo suggests Asia as a particularly promising location to look for other Denisovan-like groups. "I would be surprised if there were not other groups to be found there in the future," he said.

It's not completely beyond the bounds of possibility that some remnant populations existed almost up to the present day. But do they still exist? It seems unlikely.

Still...there are some BIG forests out there...hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not impossible that there is a hitherto undiscovered large mammalian species but extremely unlikely.

Large animals tend to need more space, for food collection, hunting, etc and population sizes would need to be absurdly small to avoid any contact with humans, leading to inbreeding, population bottlenecks and eventual extinction.

Just bumping this, as there's been some 'developments' :D

http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal/2012/11/dr-melba-ketchums-press-release-about-bigfoot-dna-2445438.html

It seems samples of DNA have been analysed from various Bigfoot finds such as hair etc, & the DNA has some interesting traits. One would wonder if the samples were pure, or have been contaminated before being analysed.

Delighted!

You'd have to wonder who is funding this 5 year expensive study of Bigfoot though? :pac:

That's pretty interesting news!

I gotta admit, on reading that article, the name "Dr. Ketchum" just made the Pokémon theme tune play in my head while picturing her trying to map the genome...

I did a google search on her as with a name like that it sounded like a hoax. Well she does exist.

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.tw/2012/01/dr-melba-ketchum-explains-her-bigfoot.html

She claims to have seen Bigfoot herself, 'they are peaceful and gentle'.
    Just this claim alone is ridiculous enough.

Then the 'peer reviewed research report' has been due out since 2010. What's keeping her so long?

Human hybrid..you mean human contaminated?

Sounds like somebody drumming up business for her DNA analysis company, or who likes to be in the limelight.
    “Our study has sequenced 20 whole mitochondrial genomes and utilized next generation sequencing to obtain 3 whole nuclear genomes from purported Sasquatch samples. The genome sequencing shows that Sasquatch mtDNA is identical to modern Homo sapiens, but Sasquatch nuDNA is a novel, unknown hominin related to Homo sapiens and other primate species. Our data indicate that the North American Sasquatch is a hybrid species, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female Homo sapiens.

Hominins are members of the taxonomic grouping Hominini, which includes all members of the genus Homo. Genetic testing has already ruled out Homo neanderthalis and the Denisova hominin as contributors to Sasquatch mtDNA or nuDNA. “The male progenitor that contributed the unknown sequence to this hybrid is unique as its DNA is more distantly removed from humans than other recently discovered hominins like the Denisovan individual,” explains Ketchum.

“Sasquatch nuclear DNA is incredibly novel and not at all what we had expected. While it has human nuclear DNA within its genome, there are also distinctly non-human, non-archaic hominin, and non-ape sequences. We describe it as a mosaic of human and novel non-human sequence. Further study is needed and is ongoing to better characterize and understand Sasquatch nuclear DNA.”

I can tell you that this points to contaminating human DNA contributing the mitochondrial DNA, and some unknown animal/animals contributing the rest of the DNA.

maninasia wrote: »
    Human hybrid..you mean human contaminated

I have to admit, its a far more likely scenario. I'd definitely be a skeptic when it comes to Bigfoot stuff, but with all stuff of this type, I'd love to be proved wrong. The world should be a far more interesting place than it is! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

My realist brain doesn't really believe, but it would be so cool if there was Bigfoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

With so many American's out hunting every year,if Bigfoot did exist you'd think at least one would have been shot?? I liked the "Finding Bigfoot" programmes,plenty of eye witness's,but even the experts never got one on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Im highly interested in the subject. Even tried my hand at "Squatching" in the states a few years ago. Im planning a trip to Oregon this year too for a few weeks to do some camping and research.
    It's one of those things really. People have the wrong idea of "bigfoot" When you strip it down to its bare facts. Could there be a small population of large apes living in the massive forests of north america? Its possible. I wouldnt believe most of the eye witness accounts or the videos from the last 10 years. Its too easy to warrant the idea of "fame" from a large amount of youtube hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you don't believe the eye witness accounts or videos, then why do you believe in Sasquatch?

I dont believe ALL the eyewitness reports. I believe that statistically some of them have to be true. With videos, even if half of them are real, they are useless as they are too short, too far away, too vague, too blurry etc. The world wont believe until a body is dragged out of the woods. However, there are thousands who have experienced encounters across north america who KNOW theres something in there. I love the subject, I think theres SOMETHING there. Is it a half human half ape? doubtful, but theres something to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I reckon that "even if 1% of them are true" notion is what makes a lot of people believe in the paranormal. You can apply it to any supernatural claim really - if even 1% of mediums are legit, if 1% of UFO sightings are real, if 1% of out of body experiences are transcendental... But there's nothing that says "statistically some of them have to be true", that's just an assumption. Once a myth/legend/belief gets some traction, things get a bit muddy, and biases, assumptions and confirmation bias start to play more of a role. There are probably lots of people who claim to have seen the bean sí, and there will continue to be as long as the folklore continues and there continues to be dark, scary, rural areas!

The statistic end of things is dicey to be sure. And im surely in no way saying that its a fact that theres something there. BUT I believe it to be so. From my reading and random fact finding over the years ive put my own ideas together. Its too late for a long winding post but I have one in me for this subject. Ill try and get some time together this week to do it.

Dave! wrote: »
    I reckon that "even if 1% of them are true" notion is what makes a lot of people believe in the paranormal. You can apply it to any supernatural claim really - if even 1% of mediums are legit, if 1% of UFO sightings are real, if 1% of out of body experiences are transcendental... But there's nothing that says "statistically some of them have to be true", that's just an assumption. Once a myth/legend/belief gets some traction, things get a bit muddy, and biases, assumptions and confirmation bias start to play more of a role. There are probably lots of people who claim to have seen the bean sí, and there will continue to be as long as the folklore continues and there continues to be dark, scary, rural areas!

Definitely +1 to this, the "1%" claim can validate any & all supernatural phenomena, from spirits, banshee's, faeries, to aliens & everything in between.

However, it is somewhat plausible that there is a undiscovered species of large ape out there, Its not as outlandish to believe in a Sasquatch as say a banshee...in my opinion anyway :) Do I believe in Bigfoot? Hmm, at this pont I'd have to say no. Given they allegedly cross paths with humans so much {which must make them more common than we think}, I find it hard to believe at this stage one hasn't been captured, or even a dead one found. But I'm open to the idea that there's an undiscovered species of large ape out there...so who knows!

The dead body argument is moot as the bodies of bears etc are almost never found. Its also been observed with mountain gorillas that they hide their dead. So if we are talking about a tiny population of animal the chances of finding a corpse are pretty slim.

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote: »
    The dead body argument is moot as the bodies of bears etc are almost never found. Its also been observed with mountain gorillas that they hide their dead. So if we are talking about a tiny population of animal the chances of finding a corpse are pretty slim.

But there's not teams of people & annual bearsquatch visitors looking for dead bear bodies...I'm sure if there were, they'd certainly find some?

Advertisement