Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'd be startled if Johnston turned his back on his county this easily. Mind you, he has had his fair share of criticism this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

blackbelt wrote: »
    No they weren't a kick of a ball away.Who is to say that if Kildare had beaten Dublin that they would have got past Wexford? Johnston is a good player but I don't think he is that good to the degree in which he would be a catalyst for Kildare winning a Leinster.

I'm not saying Dublin have ascended past every team out of sight but the smart money is on Dublin retaining Leinster at the very least.Our defense is better and our forwards are certainly better (minus O Gara granted). His sending off gave Kildare an extra man to be more attacked minded and they still couldn't win.

As for the Wexford game, an All Ireland winning team may have a bad performance to give them the kick up the arse they need to perform better and beat big teams. Dublin got the rub of the green but I certainly think we are well ahead of Wexford with Kildare very close to Dublin but the fact remains that Kildare have failed to beat a 14 man Dublin team on 2 occasions within the last 3 years.

Do you think Johnston would get a game for Dublin? I think he would. Ask Wicklow people about him from the game a couple of years ago, he's a game changing player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Lemlin wrote: »
    Do you think Johnston would get a game for Dublin? I think he would. Ask Wicklow people about him from the game a couple of years ago, he's a game changing player.

He is also an in the mood player, as in somedays he doesnt fancy it and on them days offers nothing.

He came on as a sub in that wicklow game and the reason he didnt start was he couldnt be bothered training for the two weeks previous. If he wont put in the effort with his own county will he do it else where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Seanie J is not eligible to play for Kildare. He is not living in Kildare and is not employed in Kildare.

Should he engineer, or take advantage of, a move (employment or living arrangements) to facilitate a transfer, he should not be accommodated. Allowing such a move is one short step from professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Seanie Johnston could get on the Dublin panel if he applied himself.It seems that there is a serious lack of motivation for the Cavan team and if a player won't show up to train or commit himself,there is no point in even being involved in any intercounty setup.Take Ciaran MacDonald for example.

I could see Johnston being tried out for O Byrne Cup games and initial stages of the league but I couldn't see him being involved come championship for Dublin.

There are players better than Johnston playing in Dublin who are not on the team.Players like Ted Furman and Derek Byrne for Ballymun Kickhams and Paddy Andrews for Brigids.Mark Vaughan is a good player much like Johnston but these guys have either not made the panel or were released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

keane2097 wrote: »
    Big negative for Kildare is Mick Foley being away till March. He was imperious all year and you could see McGeeney not picking him out of principle when he gets home.

On his way back according to RTE radio earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

howiya wrote: »
    On his way back according to RTE radio earlier

Yeah I read that he's changed his plans entirely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

WHY IS EVERY SINGLE THREAD HERE HIJACKED BY DUBLIN DISCUSSION???

feckin drives me mad....

he is a good player yes, will kildare magic a job etc?? maybe!!

are kildare a huge distance from dublin?? no short journey up the n7.. :)

and no they are not a whole lot different football terms either they are two very good sides IMO anyways and kildare dont fear the dubs trust me that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

With all due respects Lemlin, Wicklow are hardly a footballing colossus.

I think Johnston is a good footballer but he's nowhere near the level of the likes of Declan Browne i.e. a top class IC player saddled with a county that will never enhance his potential to the level that he himself is at.

The only time I've seen Johnston playing live was when we played in Breffni in the league back in 2008. He was decent enough that night but wouldn't have blown me away by any sense of the imagination.

feckin drives me mad....

he is a good player yes, will kildare magic a job etc?? maybe!!

are kildare a huge distance from dublin?? no short journey up the n7.. :)

and no they are not a whole lot different football terms either they are two very good sides IMO anyways and kildare dont fear the dubs trust me that....

Well a thread about Kildare bringing in a potential reinforcement is pretty likely to be framed in terms of the silverware it could potentially bring in and the teams they will have to overcome I'd have thought.

• Advertisement

Well a thread about Kildare bringing in a potential reinforcement is pretty likely to be framed in terms of the silverware it could potentially bring in and the teams they will have to overcome I'd have thought.

No a discussion would be ok it's flaming again and there's no need for it IMO

I personally don't think Kildare need him, he is a good footballer fair enough and would be a nice addition but talks of bringing him in are silly really I can't see it happening..

Kildares forwards fair enough miss a few scores but their work rate to geT into positions for shooting attacking is immense...

Earley coming back WILL be a massive boost, Doyle back into the forwards makes Kildare a formidable force.

The lily whites will rise again, maybe this year they will get the rub of the green.

I personally think the lads are first class footballers and they can go all the way why can't they???? No point in going into discussions of league and championship as ever I'm excited and looking forward to conleths park and Cromer next year:D

CILL DARA ABU

Croker not Cromer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

blackbelt wrote: »
    Seanie Johnston could get on the Dublin panel if he applied himself.It seems that there is a serious lack of motivation for the Cavan team and if a player won't show up to train or commit himself,there is no point in even being involved in any intercounty setup.Take Ciaran MacDonald for example.

I could see Johnston being tried out for O Byrne Cup games and initial stages of the league but I couldn't see him being involved come championship for Dublin.

There are players better than Johnston playing in Dublin who are not on the team.Players like Ted Furman and Derek Byrne for Ballymun Kickhams and Paddy Andrews for Brigids.Mark Vaughan is a good player much like Johnston but these guys have either not made the panel or were released.

I'd disagree re better players. On what basis are you assuming this? Gareth Smith was in the Dublin panel and he failed to hold down a regular position for Cavan. He would have been ahead of alot of these lads that you've named in the Dublin pecking order also.

There are also a number of Dublin lads like Smith and others who were hanging around that Dublin panel for years and not gaining a starting position yet management seemed unwilling to drop them so I can only think there's nothing else in reserve. Vaughan is little more than a decent free taker who was hyped up by the media more than anything else.

Re the Cavan setup, I don't blame the lad for losing interest. He's shown up over the years and won games single handedly for Cavan. Then, when he fails to do that in a match, the whole county comes down on top of him. The whole situation in the county needs looking at and hopefully the successful U21 and minor teams will follow through with their determination to senior level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

feckin drives me mad....

In fairness there was no comments from Dublin fans on this thread until a NON Dub threw in the below,,,,

"Dublin fans seem to think they've accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year"

Given how inaccurate a statement this is about us, I think its only fair that we be entitled to call that statement exactly what it is, nonsense.

So to answer your question, the reason so many threads are "hijacked by Dublin discussion" is because of a group of NON Dubs who just can't resist talking about us ;)

On the topic of Seanie Johnson, I think even without him making a soccer style transfer, Kildare will be serious contenders for both Leinster and the All Ireland this year.
    This team WILL eventually win something, they are too good not to.
    Whether its next year or not remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

This goon actually just lurks around the GAA forum looking for opportunities to troll me.

I hope you're a teenager dude, I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

This goon actually just lurks around the GAA forum looking for opportunities to troll me.

I hope you're a teenager dude, I really do.

Firstly, lets cut out the insults. Nobody is looking more like a teenager than you after that post.

Secondly, if I were "trolling you" I would at least have mentioned on my last post that it was yourself who made the comment, instead I just said it was a "non dub".

The suggestion that I lurk around the forum looking for opportunities to troll you is simply untrue. I have made several posts on this forum on many different topics. The majority of which have zero do do with yourself. *you can look at my previous posts easily enough for proof of this.
    I have on occasion challenged things you have said, this is true, but when you make negative comments about Dublin fans, players etc etc, don't go getting all precious when a Dublin fan argues back :rolleyes:

Thirdly, you clearly have no idea what trolling is.
    This is a discussion board, you made a comment about how Dublin fans think, I, as a Dublin fan, replied to argue that your opinion was not accurate.

If you cannot accept people disagreeing with your opinion on a internet forum without crying "troll" then maybe you would be better off thinking before posting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

maybe this year they will get the rub of the green.
    :pac: cos ye didn't get any at all last year did ye? ;)
    I can't see this transfer going through in a month of Sundays to be honest. If it does, it'll set a dagerous precedent. As Gophur said, it'll be pretty much professionalism. I'm not against county boards giving their own players jobs so they don't have to emigrate, but giving another county's player a job to get him on your team would be just ridiculous.
    Future "Declan Browne" type players who would walk on to any county team in Ireland despite playing for a so called weaker county could "offer his services" to stronger counties in order to play for a team with a better chance of winning silverware.

:pac: cos ye didn't get any at all last year did ye? ;)
    I can't see this transfer going through in a month of Sundays to be honest. If it does, it'll set a dagerous precedent. As Gophur said, it'll be pretty much professionalism. I'm not against county boards giving their own players jobs so they don't have to emigrate, but giving another county's player a job to get him on your team would be just ridiculous.
    Future "Declan Browne" type players who would walk on to any county team in Ireland despite playing for a so called weaker county could "offer his services" to stronger counties in order to play for a team with a better chance of winning silverware.
    We got the rub of green from Meath as we ran by you beating you twice last summer :pac:

We got the rub of green from Meath as we ran by you beating you twice last summer :pac:
    Yup and both times it was deserved. I just think it's funny that a lot of Kildare people (you're definitely not the only one) always say they never get the rub of the green in games.

Yup and both times it was deserved. I just think it's funny that a lot of Kildare people (you're definitely not the only one) always say they never get the rub of the green in games.

I never said we never get a bit of luck don't tarnish most Kildare supporters with same brush as the fair-weather followers that bitch and moan!!

I think Kildare are improving year in year out it's just a matter of when they win something not will they with luck etc!!

Under 21 team for Kildare are well should be very very strong too!! Things are on the way up for the lillies

• Advertisement

I think Kildare are improving year in year out it's just a matter of when they win something not will they with luck etc!!

Did you not win the O'Byrne Cup this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

And they tell me some Dubs aren't arrogant or condescending.

I never said we never get a bit of luck don't tarnish most Kildare supporters with same brush as the fair-weather followers that bitch and moan!!

Under 21 team for Kildare are well should be very very strong too!! Things are on the way up for the lillies
    "maybe this year they will get the rub of the green" implies that they didn't last year. To me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

They were a kick of a ball away from winning a Leinster last year and he's a serious footballer..

One game and a kick of a ball. Enough with the revisionism
    Dublin fans seem to think they've accelerated away out of sight from every teams they can easily be seen to have been lucky to beat last year, but there's not much at all between them and Kildare.

Utter tosh. I dont know where you have got that idea from. I though we had got past this type of thing, but clearly we have not.

was talking to one of the leading sarsfield men and he knows about this transfer and reckons it looks like it could happen..

dunno really seems extreme tbh a player moving loyalties just like that

largepants wrote: »
    And they tell me some Dubs aren't arrogant or condescending.
    I'm hoping that post is not aimed at mine, it was completely tongue in cheek.

Listen, the truth about Kildare is that they have the potential to be a top side but what has McGeeney achieved in 4 years? 1 O'Byrne Cup, 1 relegation and they're still mired in NFL2. A lot of people say that the gap between Divisions 1/2 isn't that big but really when it boils down to it, the teams at the business end of this year's championship were from the top division. It's imperative that Kildare get out of NFL2 this year and if they build on their momentum, I can't see any reason why not.

The potential addition of Johnston would be a bonus as (like most teams in the country) another scoring forward can only be a good thing. However, will he be able to handle the fact that he won't be the star turn on this team (that actually may end up working to his benefit) and that there will be a greater emphasis on work ethic in the Kildare team (perhaps the Cavan lads can confirm whether he is a good worker or is he primarily a forward who will focus on scoring rather than helping the team out).

By the way, the fact that Dublin fans talk so much about Kildare is that we do respect them as they are not a million miles off from making that breakthrough but the fact that they haven't means that respect has to be earned by winning a big game in championship. Thus far in McGeeney's reign, this has yet to happen.

I think there's too much flak directed at McGeeny tbh. He's definitely done/doing a very good job and over the course of his tenure he's turned Kildare into a team every county in the country would genuinely be nervous about playing.

This is a turnaround from a time not so long ago when tbh it would have been pretty much "lolKildare" as a reaction to any draw if we would have happened to have their names pulled out alongside ours.

The fact that people were questioning whether Gilroy had outstayed his usefulness as far along as the Leinster final should inform peoples' opinions on this one. County teams benefit enormously from stability, and there's clearly improvements in Kildare year on year if you look at how they've performed and not glibly tout the fact that they haven't won a Leinster title or whatever.

I do agree that their seemingly utter disregard for the league is not to their advantage but suspect that may change this year.

Also, the question could be asked as to which two All Stars Dublin could have won the All Ireland without last year, or which Cork could have done without in 09?

Earley and Kelly coming back is a will make a big difference, and any critique of their performances last year ought to be framed with their absence in mind.

I was actually going to make that point that Kildare were stymied this season by the double whammy of losing the two lads especially Earley as it meant they lost the effectiveness of Doyle in the forward line.

Following on from that, does it worry Kildare fans that their two talismanic figures are coming to the end of their careers and do they have anyone currently in the squad or coming through the 21s that can step into the breach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

dcr22B wrote: »
    I'm hoping that post is not aimed at mine, it was completely tongue in cheek.

Listen, the truth about Kildare is that they have the potential to be a top side but what has McGeeney achieved in 4 years? 1 O'Byrne Cup, 1 relegation and they're still mired in NFL2. A lot of people say that the gap between Divisions 1/2 isn't that big but really when it boils down to it, the teams at the business end of this year's championship were from the top division. It's imperative that Kildare get out of NFL2 this year and if they build on their momentum, I can't see any reason why not.

The potential addition of Johnston would be a bonus as (like most teams in the country) another scoring forward can only be a good thing. However, will he be able to handle the fact that he won't be the star turn on this team (that actually may end up working to his benefit) and that there will be a greater emphasis on work ethic in the Kildare team (perhaps the Cavan lads can confirm whether he is a good worker or is he primarily a forward who will focus on scoring rather than helping the team out).

By the way, the fact that Dublin fans talk so much about Kildare is that we do respect them as they are not a million miles off from making that breakthrough but the fact that they haven't means that respect has to be earned by winning a big game in championship. Thus far in McGeeney's reign, this has yet to happen.

Indeed it was aimed at you but mine was togue in cheek too. I'm going to have to start using smilies.I'm well aware that real Dublin fans have a quiet respect Kildare at the moment just like the real Kildare fans have a quiet respect for Dublin.Obviously I'd rather an AI title with 15 Kildare men on it but at this stage I don't think we can afford to be fussy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement