Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBMC for android has finally launched

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I think it's the best app I've ever installed on a tablet.
    Well, I can't figure out what it does that other apps don't do.
    Can anyone explain it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Well, I can't figure out what it does that other apps don't do.
    Can anyone explain it to me?

Sean Sherlock says we cant ;)

However a google on XBMC repositories should reveal all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Sean Sherlock says we cant ;)

However a google on XBMC repositories should reveal all.

or XBMC hub

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Navi-x and SportsDevil are good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't see any uses for this app whatsoever.

It has many uses, it's a fully functional media player that plays all media formats. Great for organising your media with thumbnails and fan art. Handy for streaming content from your pc/media server. Check out XBMC on your pc, it's the best media player out there, plenty of plugins and addons and it's completely free. I have a custom built PC under my TV running it.

With this you can stream to mobile devices anywhere in your house. Also know that Android isn't just phones. With this you will be able to use it as a cheap media player with an Android on a stick connected to your TV's costing next to nothing. It will make my custom PC complete overkill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Lads did yee use cyberduck to install from zip file yea?

Also, any chance we can add a list off add-ons and links for them?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It has many uses, it's a fully functional media player that plays all media formats. Great for organising your media with thumbnails and fan art. Handy for streaming content from your pc/media server. Check out XBMC on your pc, it's the best media player out there, plenty of plugins and addons and it's completely free. I have a custom built PC under my TV running it.

With this you can stream to mobile devices anywhere in your house. Also know that Android isn't just phones. With this you will be able to use it as a cheap media player with an Android on a stick connected to your TV's costing next to nothing. It will make my custom PC complete overkill

So once I get it running on my Nexus 10 do I also need to have the PC version running on my PC to stream to the tablet?

Thanks,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    So once I get it running on my Nexus 10 do I also need to have the PC version running on my PC to stream to the tablet?

Thanks,
    M

No, you don;t need anything running. You just share the directory your media is in on your pc. It's as simple as select the directory, right click, share.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, you don;t need anything running. You just share the directory your media is in on your pc. It's as simple as select the directory, right click, share.

Great, even better! And then I just browse to that directory from the tablet I assume?

Thanks,
    M

Great, even better! And then I just browse to that directory from the tablet I assume?

Thanks,
    M

Yes, once, you show xbmc the directory and it scans the directory once and adds the files to a library with thumbnails and fan art. Give it a go on your pc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Is spotify on this? Can find it!

long_b wrote: »

Does nothing but crash on mine -CM9 ?

Same here, both on my nexus 10 and my galaxy note 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Fixed it on the TP by clearing the Dalvik cache (thingamajig), reinstalling the latest version and rebooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

i thought they said 4.2 wasn't supported till beta 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Is spotify on this? Can find it!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125147

You will need to install it from the zip.

Here is the addon: https://github.com/downloads/mazkolain/spotimc/script.audio.spotimc-1.0-beta3.zip

Here is how you can install it via zip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqp3_x8Fwb4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just noticed FilmOn is available on XBMC. Never spotted it before when setting up.
    Works great and means I can use the tablet for watching all UK TV.

HD content is also streaming great from usual 'web sources' and looks stunning on
    Nexus 10.

I love this app.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been in closed alpha for this, mainly on my Xperia Arc, works perfectly on my Xperia S but it seems a bit laggy on the Nexus 7 for some reason.

Otherwise, it's my primary source of getting my entertainment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Ok, so I've got xbmc installed on my laptop and my desire hd. I've set my videos folder on my laptop to share. What do I do next to be able to access them from xbmc on my desire or is that possible?

Thanks for the info so far guys looks like a pretty sweet app

Ok, so I've got xbmc installed on my laptop and my desire hd. I've set my videos folder on my laptop to share. What do I do next to be able to access them from xbmc on my desire or is that possible?

Thanks for the info so far guys looks like a pretty sweet app

Videos--> files --> add videos browse and add the source as a Windows network SMB.

Also note, sharing from Windows works better with a password on the user account, there can be issues trying to connect to shares when the user account automatically logs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Cheers, I'll give that a go so.

• Advertisement

I keep getting a message saying Error 2: Share Not Available when I select Windows Network (SMB)?? I have the folder shared out on my Windows 8 machine and other programs like ES File Explorer can see it fine??

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

PrzemoF wrote: »

Gonna try this on the Nexus 10 tonight. Anyone know anything about the "Error 2: Share Not Available" error? Anyone else getting it?

Thanks,
    M

I tested it yesterday on a sanei N10 tablet and I was getting different errors due to problems with wifi link.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I tested it yesterday on a sanei N10 tablet and I was getting different errors due to problems with wifi link.

I will try again tonight on my Note II and the Nexus 10, I would love to get this up and running.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Does anyone know if i can point the xbmc to my WD TV and stream the files from that?
    Is it as simple as putting in the IP address? Would I use SMB also?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Beta3 is broken for me 720p or 1080p videos with soft subs stutter like hell. Oh well

neacy69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if i can point the xbmc to my WD TV and stream the files from that?
    Is it as simple as putting in the IP address? Would I use SMB also?
    Thanks

There might be NFS option somewhere on WD TV (I don't have the device) and it seems to be a better option for sharing than SMB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Couple of questions

1. I installed the ARM version on my Tegra device. IT seems to work OK but should I uninstall it to install the Tegra supported version or just install the Tegra build on top of it?

2. How exactly do you install a skin? e.g. this one:

http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downloads/detail?name=skin.re-touched-1.5.0.zip

3. When I start it up I get a message saying the remote media server is unavailable. Does this matter?

4. How do I get it to display the tiled view of films/series as opposed to the folder/thumbnail view?

• Advertisement

1. Yes, I would.

2. I wouldn't be installing a skin from zip unless you know it's supported, go to settings--> addons, and add a supported one there from their repo. There are only 1 or 2 skins upgraded to support XBMC on Android as it uses touchscreen gestures

3. You must have yours set to autoscan for new content on boot. This is probably a bad idea, much better to manually scan every so often

4. It depends on the skin, but in the default Confluence you set the View to thumbnail in the side menu to the left

Advertisement