Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oasis split

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

aDeener wrote: »
    bullshit, anytime there has been a thread about oasis you have posted on it declaring your dislike for them :rolleyes:

Last time i checked one can express an opinion if they wish too. Even if it makes you cry...

i'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you :p

Back on topic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

lordgoat wrote: »
    Last time i checked one can express an opinion if they wish too. Even if it makes you cry...

i'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you :p

Back on topic now.
    Absolutely, but saying a certain topic does not matter to you yet consistently post on said topic (whenever the topic arises) implies that it matters enough for you to keep posting about it

can i re-raise? :pac:

hopefully noel keeps belting out the classic interviews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkCqC9ROBEk

aDeener wrote: »
    Absolutely, but saying a certain topic does not matter to you yet consistently post on said topic (whenever the topic arises) implies that it matters enough for you to keep posting about it

can i re-raise? :pac:

hopefully noel keeps belting out the classic interviews:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkCqC9ROBEk

Should i have specified. Oasis matter to me in no way whatsoever, what annoys me are comments lauding them or any band that imo are not worthy of them. I would have had the same reaction to pretty much any band if someone referred to them as they are being lauded on this thread.

See it's interviews like that, that to me make them all gimmick and no substance. And it's been done before like most things about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Miller Nice Utensil

I'm sorry but i can think of very few bands that oasis have influenced. Matbe ocean colour scene or other such hum drums but to me and a lot of other people.

Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay, The Coral, Travis, The Coral, Glasvegas, Maroon 5, The Libertines and Pete Doherty, The Courteeners, Kasabian... I mean theres ****ing millions, the list could go and on, and thats just the ones that admit it. In fact I'd say most bands from this side of the world that came since that grew up through that whole Britpop era will have been influenced in some way by Oasis.

Your statement is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

nm wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Coldplay, The Coral, Travis, The Coral, Glasvegas, Maroon 5, The Libertines and Pete Doherty, The Courteeners, Kasabian... I mean theres ****ing millions, the list could go and on, and thats just the ones that admit it. In fact I'd say most bands from this side of the world that came since that grew up through that whole Britpop era will have been influenced in some way by Oasis.

Lets be honest. Oasis wrote some great pop songs. Its beyond doubt. But how influential they are I dont know. Oasis were Oasis. They proved that a band with a decent enough song writer and an enigmatic front man could go far. But I think Radiohead have stretched the boundaries further in terms of how music is recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

But I think Radiohead have stretched the boundaries further in terms of how music is recorded.

Yawn.Who cares?
    The further they stretched the boundaries the more the songwriting
    suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Apparently once you're a mod,your opinion carries more weight

that list of yours is ridiculous, in fact it's in numerous interviews and almost every book i've read on the libs/doherty on how the can't stand oasis. You site brit pop, if you knew anything about the libertines they were a direct reaction to brit pop and the lack of quality music in the uk at the time. So unless you mean oasis negatively influenced them, you are incorrect.

Arctic monkeys refused to comment on oasis when asked.

Even coldplay a predominantly piano driven band - how on earth do you come to put them in there.

I'll give you travis, kasabian, maroon 5 (:rolleyes:) et albut then they do fall under the pedantry tag i put on my original statement.

that list of yours is ridiculous, in fact it's in numerous interviews and almost every book i've read on the libs/doherty on how the can't stand oasis. You site brit pop, if you knew anything about the libertines they were a direct reaction to brit pop and the lack of quality music in the uk at the time. So unless you mean oasis negatively influenced them, you are incorrect.

HAHA, oh dear god... where did you pull this 'fact' from??

Doherty covers Hello

Doherty Queues for Oasis Album

Doherty Covers Dont Look Back In Anger

Doherty Covers Whatever

Doherty Covers Wonderwall

Carl Barat and Noel ("You inspired me greatly", and so on and so forth - Carl)

etc, etc, ETC. I mean Carl taught Pete how to play the guitar to Oasis! What books were you reading??

Also im positive Alex Turner has stated he got a guitar because of Oasis. Coldplay have also stated Oasis as an influence. I cant be bothered finding any more links, i mean its if not completely obvious by listening to all of them and the timelines involved then google it.

You are just wrong, admit it.

They may not have mattered to YOU, fair enough, but they quite clearly mattered a lot to a lot of people and influenced a vast amount of bands that have cropped up since.

Glassheart wrote: »
    Yawn.Who cares?
    suffered.
    Know this isnt a thread about Radiohead but think the lyrics on Ok Computer were fairly solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Doherty covers Hello

Doherty Covers Whatever

etc, etc, ETC. I mean Carl taught Pete how to play the guitar to Oasis! What books were you reading??

Also im positive Alex Turner has stated he got a guitar because of Oasis. Coldplay have also stated Oasis as an influence. I cant be bothered finding any more links, i mean its if not completely obvious by listening to all of them and the timelines involved then google it.

They may not have mattered to YOU, fair enough, but they quite clearly mattered a lot to a lot of people and influenced a vast amount of bands that have cropped up since.

Delighted you shoved it back down his throat.

A small amount don't like Oasis, lots don't mind them and even more love them. If they never mattered to you lordgoat why do you keep posting. Annoyed Radiohead never got the same recognition? Why why why in this world when something is popular is it deemed crap by a small amount of the 'i'm to cool to like anything popular' gang. Oasis matter to a lot of people and will matter for a long time too. I know lots of people who took up a guitar because they wanted to play the likes of Live Forever(the first song i ever learned to play) or Wonderwall. I'd like to hear who you think are the biggest influences in music in the last 15 years?

Should i have specified. Oasis matter to me in no way whatsoever, what annoys me are comments lauding them or any band that imo are not worthy of them. I would have had the same reaction to pretty much any band if someone referred to them as they are being lauded on this thread. .

yet you persist on posting about about them, thats what i cant understand....

See it's interviews like that, that to me make them all gimmick and no substance. And it's been done before like most things about them.

by who? i cant think of anyone who gives interviews quite like noel

and lol to your absurd "facts" about libertines and arctic monkeys :D

Know this isnt a thread about Radiohead but think the lyrics on Ok Computer were fairly solid.

Sorry i was being a bit grouchy.
    I was thinking of Kid A and Amnesiac.

Sorry i was being a bit grouchy.
    I was thinking of Kid A and Amnesiac.
    No worries dude. Have Amnesiac. Lyrics not as distinguishable but still a great album I think. Back to Ok Computer. Johnny Greenwood's guitar solo on Paranoid Android. Does it for me everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

fingerbob wrote: »
    No band has topped Morning Glory or Definitely maybe since

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives did ... 3 TIMES :

Behind The Music
    Origins Vol. 1
    Communion

... TSOOL are a perfect example of the road Oasis could have went down if they had bothered to push themselves just a nudge and take their finger off the "Auto Pilot" button

fingerbob wrote: »
    No band has topped Morning Glory or Definitely maybe since and they still produced great music since then, its hard to beat perfection. Didn't think they actually would split, Nicole Appleton in the sun yesterday sayin they would go on till they're old men. I doubt never means never with the gallagher brothers though.
    Funeral by Arcade Fire I think comes very very close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

The levels of delusion demonstrated by Oasis fans in this thread is awe inspiring. Correct me if I'm wrong but do people actually believe them they'll be seen as anything other than a bunch of pub rockers in twenty years?

Some people actually believe they are an influential band! Who and how have they influenced?

theUbiq wrote: »
    The levels of delusion demonstrated by Oasis fans in this thread is awe inspiring.

Just as much delusion from the detractors.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but do people actually believe them they'll be seen as anything other than a bunch of pub rockers in twenty years?

Definitely Maybe is fast approaching 20 years old.There seems to be plenty of reverence for it which i think will only grow with time.

I think you and a few others around here should just deal with the fact that people are gonna continue to love Oasis no matter what sort of bull**** tags you try to give the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The levels of delusion demonstrated by Oasis fans in this thread is awe inspiring. Correct me if I'm wrong but do people actually believe them they'll be seen as anything other than a bunch of pub rockers in twenty years?

Some people actually believe they are an influential band! Who and how have they influenced?

I'm pretty confident that The View, The Artic Monkeys, The Enemy, and Kasabian would tell you that they were influenced by Oasis.

Doherty covers Hello

Doherty Covers Whatever

The silence is deafening! :D Although I am expecting an eventual response saying that he was being ironic/sarcastic. ;)

EDIT I had to switch off the Soccer AM one because I'm in a public place and would have looked like a weirdo laughing so hard. Those quotes were class! :D

• Advertisement

So he has covered a few Oasis songs. Has it influenced Pete Doherty's music. From what I have heard of Baby Shambles music very different.

So he has covered a few Oasis songs. Has it influenced Pete Doherty's music. From what I have heard of Baby Shambles music very different.

ahh but our friend and ruler lordgoat claimed that doherty "cant stand" oasis, now i would think that covering their songs fairly nullifies that ridiculous claim.

So he has covered a few Oasis songs. Has it influenced Pete Doherty's music.

Yes it has. Im trying hard not to give into the temptation of being sarcastic about this but in plain english you dont need to sound exactly like someone to have been influenced by them. If that was the case I wouldve sighted bands like OCS, The Bluetones, etc like lordgoat did but its not.

Oasis would be just one of many many bands and people that would have influenced him.

Didnt Peter also say that Dont Look Back Into The Sun was originally messing around with a merging of 'Dont Look Back In Anger' and 'Ride Into the Sun' by The Velvet Underground ?

I mean theres just so many glaring things. The Libertines point.. like.. case closed, please.

Dig up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

Yawn.Who cares?
    suffered.

agreed....

Oasis > Radiohead imo

David Gray has attacked Oasis for failing to connect with fans at a music festival five years ago.

The 'Fugitive' singer told The Sun that the band had not created any interesting music since their mid-1990s heyday.

Gray said: "I saw Oasis at Glastonbury years ago and it was a total non-event. They failed to connect with the festival.

"Also they haven't done anything musically interesting since their highest moment, which was over 15 years ago now."

Of his own antics, he added: "The rock 'n' roll lifestyle isn't for me. After a weekend partying I need a week and a half to get over it.

"Come Monday evening I'm watching costume dramas, eating a curry and maybe some mash then it's off for an early night."

Oasis split last month when songwriter and guitarist Noel Gallagher announced that he was leaving the band.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a177290/david-gray-oasis-were-uninteresting.html

It's a new low when David Gray can accuse another musical act of being "uninteresting."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

LOL the irony! David Gray - the musical equivalent of wallpaper - isn't one to talk about failing to connect with fans :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 preamp

See at the end of the day, Oasis have 7 no. 1 albums, a back catalogue of B-Sides that any musician in the world would like to own, they fill every arena they play in, and sold out Slane, how many were there 85 - 90000 people?, I dont know but there was far more than 80000 in Slane.

To put it lightly the facts dont lie, I hardly think Liam and Noel Gallagher could care what a bunch of people on the internet think of them to be honest. People will always be envious of what they dont or never will have/ acheive in their lives, so its easy for them to begrudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Doherty covers Hello

Doherty Covers Whatever

Pwned

Was it really necessary for that poster to post several you tube videos that seem to suggest that Doherty liked Oasis. One would have sufficed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Was it really necessary for that poster to post several you tube videos that seem to suggest that Doherty liked Oasis. One would have sufficed.

Yeah,I think it was

Advertisement