Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

my lent fitness

• 21-02-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

tomorrow is pancake Tuesday and after that Lent begins!
    so im giving up chocolate,sweets, biccies, crisps the whole shebang and taking up proper exercixe at least 3 times a week!

so ill report how im doing here! just to keep myself motivated really!

:pac::pac::pac::rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wrong forum there buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Yeah , Im going to do the same .

Has been 6 months with little or no activity.....
    Handful of pancakes and thats it.... wallop !

How you going to ease yourself in to a routine bluejean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bluejeans_01

no technique really which i know is probably bad but im just going straight in!
    well with cutting out the rubbish stuff anyway!

excercise will probably need to be less drastic!

gona try start with a run 3 times a week and see how that goes!

try build it up if i can survive that! add in circuits and whatever!

kryogen wrote: »
    Wrong forum there buddy

sorry didnt realise lad! not sure how i even ended up here or how to change that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

sorry didnt realise lad! not sure how i even ended up here or how to change that!

You could try this forum...They love all that self penitent stuff.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭marathonic

If pancake Tuesday is enough of a reason for you to over-indulge, you'll probably find it very difficult to maintain a high level of motivation for 46 days.

Also, if given a choice between cutting out 50% of the crap for good or cutting out all of it for lent, you'd be much better served going for the first option. Just a few things to ponder!!! ;)

You should look into classes in whatever area you're in. There's a lot of bootcamp classes starting up now that the evenings/mornings are getting brighter. There are also kettlebell/spin bike classes amongst various other things.

As an example, there are kettlebell classes on a Monday night near me as well as Bootcamp classes (mostly on the nearby beaches) held 3 mornings per week and a couple of evenings per week. Each of these cost 6 euro in my area and should make the motivation a little easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

marathonic wrote: »

Also, if given a choice between cutting out 50% of the crap for good or cutting out all of it for lent, you'd be much better served going for the first option. Just a few things to ponder!!! ;)

This is a very good point. Being overly rigid for 46 days is going to lead to falling off the diet and a binge. 80/20 rule is always good. Basically if your diet is correct 80% of the time, the other 20% shouldn't matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

This is a very good point. Being overly rigid for 46 days is going to lead to falling off the diet and a binge. 80/20 rule is always good. Basically if your diet is correct 80% of the time, the other 20% shouldn't matter too much.

I'd say 95/5 is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I'd say 95/5 is better

Is that what you stick to? Well done if it is because most people won't/can't stick to that as they'd go stir crazy!

This is excellent advice! its just i am a huge chocolate fan and right now limiting myself to just a little, simply isn't working! so i figure 'all or nothing' for 46 days will get me started and hopefully after i will have a healthier attitude to chocolate and eat in moderation! the whole cut out 100% is just the starting point so i can see where to go from there! to get fit and healthy for the summer! i am very determined right now! I don't know how long that will last so thats why I'm doing this thread! if i have someone/thing to report to i will feel i have to keep it up! and i shall be honest about how im doing!

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    You could try this forum...They love all that self penitent stuff.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Thanks for the tip! But from my point of view this is more about Fitness and Health then self-penitence.

marathonic wrote: »
    If pancake Tuesday is enough of a reason for you to over-indulge, you'll probably find it very difficult to maintain a high level of motivation for 46 days.

yeah i know, your right, this is going to be very hard but I'm optimistic that i can al least try do my best!

also; very good idea about the classes! i must look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

yeah i know, your right, this is going to be very hard but I'm optimistic that i can al least try do my best!

also; very good idea about the classes! i must look into that!

It will be very easy if you just don't buy them. you can't eat them if there not there. What will be very hard is not to substitute them for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Burkatron wrote: »
    Is that what you stick to? Well done if it is because most people won't/can't stick to that as they'd go stir crazy!

Well if you say 80/20 and your cheat meal is a take away, and you have five meals a day, then thats a take away every day. ( I do eat 5 meals a day, or more)

I would have one nasty meal a week which is more like 95/5

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It will be very easy if you just don't buy them. you can't eat them if there not there. What will be very hard is not to substitute them for something else.

Very very true! I'm hoping to i will save up some money too as an added bonus!

also i've been trying to think of a good, very healthy, snack i could have instead when i get cravings! something a like cereal bar etc...any good ideas/tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭marathonic

Very very true! I'm hoping to i will save up some money too as an added bonus!

also i've been trying to think of a good, very healthy, snack i could have instead when i get cravings! something a like cereal bar etc...any good ideas/tips?

Cereal bars are full of sugar and preservatives. They'll also do nothing to improve your protein intake - assumming your gym program includes weights (which it should regardless of whether your goals are to lose weight, 'tone up' or get stronger), you'll need to ensure that you're consuming at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

A couple of suggestions would include eggs (boil them up and keep them in the fridge), pieces of fruit (don't go overboard on the fruit as you should really get most of your '5-a-day' from veg), tubs of cottage cheese (if you can eat it), SMALL handfuls of unsalted nuts (cashews, almonds, etc)......

so ash wednesday went good! just did the three meals and the no meat thing etc
    thursday also went well. did lots of walking too on both days.
    friday was good meal wise> all healthy EXCEPT i ate a slice of chocolate cake :(
    it was kinda of one of those situations where its forced on you and you have to it but still no excuse! was bit disappointed to be honest!

still havent been out for jog yet either all though i have been doing lots of walking so i guess that is a good start!

anyway im going to get better from here on in!

so the whole not eating junk is going great! except that it sucks! the whole positive thing is hard to maintain! I WANT chocolate! fortunately i have managed to abstain thus far! so food wise i am doing great!

exercise wise not so much! MUST DO MORE RUNNING!

no junk today!
    wetabix with sugar for brekkie
    pasta and chicken for lunch
    spagetti bolonese for dinner
    and kiwis and apple inbetween

& lots of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just a heads up, foods log threads aren't allowed on the forum. Which it what you are sliding towards.

If you want to track your food use MyFitnessApp - miles better than a thread

• Advertisement

Thank you!

i am going to stop reporting here now so!

your right myfitness is way better!

Advertisement