Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC Desire V Samsung Galaxy S

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why do I need to own a phone in order to be able to research it's specifications and benchmarks performed by third parties? You were happy enough to state the Galaxy S had a slower CPU when you didn't own one at the time. As I said, you make it up as you go along.
    And now i've confirmed what I already knew haven't I? For the record overall I still prefer my Desire. The Galaxy S has some fine hardware but the software lets it down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Can you please lose the attitude? And if you wouldn't mind please stop accusing me of making things up. You're acting as if i'm insulting your race or religion. It's only a phone and with all due respect you can't have an informed opinion without even owning a single Android device.

You are quoting bechmark figures obtained for the Nexus One on a device running 2.2 Froyo against a device running 2.1. The scores are affected by the OS.

In the Androidcommunity link I have included below, the testers running BenchmarkPi on a Nexus One running 2.1 got a time of 3524 ms. In the comments below the article, a poster claiming to run 2.2 on a N1 got 1157 ms, slightly more than three times faster. :rolleyes:
    Guess which one has better performance in floating point operations?
    The one running 2.2
    I don't care what some reviews say. These are the benchmark leaderboards for Android and I take them far more seriously than a possibly biased review.
    Lots of others in the Android community don't because they believe the top scores are faked: http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-680158.html

A single review can be biased, but all of them? It must be an organised conspiracy that all the independent reviews I have seen where the Galaxy S is benchmarked against Snapdragon equiped devices has it demonstrating better CPU performance.

I can't argue with your preference, you are free to have it. Mine is to see a variety of benchmarks used, preferably under controlled conditions such as using the same OS, as they did here:

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-benchmark-galore-20100531/

Can you please explain to me the motivation for their obvious bias?
    These benchmarks need to be ran multiple times to get the maximum score, my stock Desire got 8.5 MFLOPS, now it's 50ish. That 74.18 is certainly possible but you would need to be running a very well optimised ROM (Something that Samsung will never manage)
    In essence you are admitting you are not just testing CPU performance but the sum of the CPU+OS+Tweaks.

You have not provided what I consider credible evidence to support your assertion that the CPU speed of Snapdragon is greater than that of a Hummingbird.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are quoting bechmark figures obtained for the Nexus One on a device running 2.2 Froyo against a device running 2.1. The scores are affected by the OS.
    And I presume you know the exact component of Android that permitted this increase in FPU performance? It was the JIT recompiler. That Galaxy S used for that benchmark is quite clearly an example of a Galaxy S with the JIT Recompiler enabled. There is no other factor between 2.1 and 2.2 (To my knowledge) that affects FPU performance. In any case, it's pretty clear that i'm wasting my time here. I don't see why you feel the constant need to defend the Galaxy S. At the end of the day raw power doesn't matter in the slightest. It's the final package and the Galaxy S lacks in that regard. It's not something worth arguing about.

Just rooted and flashed JP3 on the Galaxy (Latest leaked Android 2.2 ROM)

Ran quadrant on both, some pretty odd results (I used the Galaxy S to take the photo of the Desire and the Desire to take the photo of the Galaxy S)

Just a little info about both phones

Desire is running Leedroid 1.8 (Android 2.2) - No OC (Photo taken with the Galaxy)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=123899&stc=1&d=1281651252

Galaxy is running JP3 (Android 2.2) - No OC (Photo taken with Desire)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=123901&stc=1&d=1281651252

I *think* the Galaxy S is using the same Samsung camera sensor as does the Desire. The level of noise and general quality of both seems to be near enough the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Isn't the 2.2 firmware for the SGS still very buggy? Just wondering, have no comment on this debate at all. Got my SGS 'cause no one had the desire - still very happy with it though.

Isn't the 2.2 firmware for the SGS still very buggy? Just wondering, have no comment on this debate at all. Got my SGS 'cause no one had the desire - still very happy with it though.
    Apparently so. Have had 0 issues up until now though. Still though, buggy roms don't affect benchmarks from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

The latest leaked rom from samsung apparently is very good. Samsung release new firmwares at a very fast rate, but keeping an eye on xda forums will give you a fix for any issues you might have. This speed debate is a non issue, both phones are faster than any phone needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm running one of Modaco's first ROM's on a 2.1 firmware, JG5 I think. I haven't bothered going through the same process again and again (have had problems with titanium) as samsung are releasing firmwares at an alarming rate. I was planning on waiting till the official 2.2 came out, but if the one out now is supposed to be solid I might try it out.

I'm running one of Modaco's first ROM's on a 2.1 firmware, JG5 I think. I haven't bothered going through the same process again and again (have had problems with titanium) as samsung are releasing firmwares at an alarming rate. I was planning on waiting till the official 2.2 came out, but if the one out now is supposed to be solid I might try it out.
    Give it a shot. I'm using the rooted JP3 from modaco. It's perfectly stable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I got Darky`s 8.0,rooted, speedmod and LPP, generation x theme, fast as feck

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

lewis wrote: »
    I got Darky`s 8.0,rooted, speedmod and LPP, generation x theme, fast as feck

That ROM looks the dogs, will be loading it on my new phone over the weekend. What quadrant score are you getting after loading it? and did you apply the lag fix afterwards?

Cheers

Advertisement