Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Understanding Vhosts

• 09-04-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone help me understand how vhost limit works? Is it 1:1 (user:vhost capacity) or something else? My site has a forum, several pages, an imbedded youtube video, images, and an option to download a file. I'd like to get a feel for what sort of vhost allowance I may need.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

Do you mean virtual host as in Apache Virtual Hosts?

If so, vhosts work very simply, for every domain/subdomain/ip address you want to have on your server you add a vhost.

e.g. if you want to have three websites running:

www.mydomain1.com
    www.mydomain2.com
    mysubdomain.mydomain2.com

And these are all different websites, then you have three vhosts

if you want them to point to the same website (not a great idea, but possible) you can configure a single vhost to point both domains and the subdomain at a single directory on your server.

If your website is just one domain, and has a bunch of stuff on it then you just need a single vhost which points to your directory with everything in it.

Advertisement