Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Holyboy wrote: »
    Should I get my self a road bike and start cycling?

All views appreciated :D

DO IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esp for Beasty and Lumen !

National+TT.JPG

Nationals+RR.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

tomasrojo wrote: »
    When I worked in a lab in California, we were under strict instructions to use metric for all measurements, I assume to avoid this sort of expensive gaffe. I think the only non-metric allowed was psi for gas pressure (I was working with gas chromatography).

The machine that goes 'ping'?

On a more serious note, way back when I was dumb enough to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft we were all told the horror story of the French parachutist who jumped in Ireland using borrowed kit and thought the altimeter was reading meters when it was reading in feet.

It didn't end well, but we took it that it was just a scary story to make sure we paid attention, given you'd deploy your canopy when needle hit the yellow on the colour-coded dial anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Team Sky has released a song ahead of its participation in this year's Tour de France, starting on Saturday (June 30).

According to the squad, the track has been created to "help inspire, excite and motivate Team Sky riders ahead of the Tour".

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/533598/sky-releases-official-team-song-ahead-of-tour-de-france.html

oh god (love the comment though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

AstraMonti wrote: »
    http://boingboing.net/2009/03/19/verizon-doesnt-under.html

This is amazingly hilarious. The guys on the phone can not understand the difference between 0,002 cents and 0,002 dollars.

During a training session on how to record results and round numbers in a large pharmaceutical I got into an argument with the trainer.

"That's not how you round numbers"
    "Well, thats what it says here"
    "OK round 5.44444444449 to one decimal place"
    "5.5"
    "It's 5.4"
    "Not according to the SOP"

(Noone quote the massive maths error I made on here last year)

anyone thinking a nice understated approach would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

i_never_would_have_passed_kindergarten.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

hardCopy wrote:
    Did you photoshop out the Hi-Viz and helmet? The other thread has a bib and helmet in the pic.

They are in the picture*, but hi-viz and helmets are actually so hideous that they are invisible to the average human eye. You need a common-sense lobotomy in order to be able to actually make them visible and the more common sense you remove the more blindingly visible they become - employees of the provisional marketing wings of the RSA, the AA, etc., are obliged to undergo this lobotomy operation as part of their terms of employment, though many other people seem to undergo it voluntarily too.

*No, they are not in the picture, I just pasted a different picture from the website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was working at putting together some IKEA sh1t today when I heard what sounded like a burst pipe in another room. I followed the noise to one of my bikes and discovered that it had decided to spontaneously puncture. I didn't have the bike out today so no idea what caused it. There's a new Conti GP4000 on it with only about 250km. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the tyre. I'll open it up in the morning and have a look. Grrr!! I hate gremlins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

http://www.transportforireland.ie/cycling/

Good bike section here, written very well with some good facts about cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I love how it says 'if' you wear a helmet, make sure it fits rather than 'always wear a helmet or you'll get pregnant and die'. High vis is also only mentioned in the cycling at night section rather than it being something you should wear every waking hour. It's positively sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I really like Nature Valley bars, both on and off the bike, but this is so true:

tumblr_lraeeaMZCS1qa82u1o1_500.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Everywhere is right, found some in the 2 year olds bed yesterday, how they got there I've no idea.

ThisRegard wrote:
    Everywhere is right, found some in the 2 year olds bed yesterday, how they got there I've no idea.

When your 2yr-old is secretly carb loading you know you are in for a rough time ahead. Batten down the hatches!

She's getting pretty good at her nutrition intake alright, even when on the move. We went to the Phoenix Park Sunday for a gander at the bike thing that was on, half way around she and the dogs fell behind so I turned around to see what she was up to. She was taking these small organic kiddie biscuits from her pockets and eating then. I had wondered where they went to that morning as I found the empty packet on the ground and the dogs were hoovering up the crumbs so assumed she had given them to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

These are our daughter's favourite biscuits. If anyone knows where to find them in Dublin, it'd be great. Great for conversations from the back of the trailer, "A lion! Rarrr!" Om nom nom.

016392.jpg

would i look like a fred ......

002-860x572.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

with that, would you care?

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    with that, would you care?

shame its out of stock, oh and i cant afford it :D

If you tried to ride it in that state, then yes you would. Take it off the workstand first, put some wheels, a groupset, etc., on it and no-one would dare call you a fred for fear you'd burn rubber and leave them floundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

shame its out of stock, oh and i cant afford it :D
    i know the feeling :)

On the way into work today got a puncture. No biggie, tried to pump and go but wasn't happening, so tried to change it. Stupidly realised I brought the wrong tube (35mm instead of 23mm), tried to fit it to see if it'd get me in but it wouldn't go into the tyre. Dropped into MacDonald's Cycles on Wexford Street (Dublin), picked up two tubes, and the lad even put it back into the tyre for me. Took him around one minute which was impressive, but doing the work without payment for labour (even if it just took a minute) earned a lot of goodwill from me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Went out for a spin at the weekend, felt old as I held onto the brakes on every descent and never fully let myself open up.

Just checked my garmin, while it lasted, fastest recorded speed was 84.6kmph, guess I ain't that afraid of a bit of speed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Timmah!

+1 for MacDonals on Wexford st.
    In the past month they have given me some cage nuts, a pad spacer for a disk brake and two spanners free of charge.
    I know these aren't costly items and they must have loads lying around but I was still surprised to be handed them foc.
    I'll be back.

Dónal wrote: »
    On the way into work today got a puncture. No biggie, tried to pump and go but wasn't happening, so tried to change it. Stupidly realised I brought the wrong tube (35mm instead of 23mm), tried to fit it to see if it'd get me in but it wouldn't go into the tyre. Dropped into MacDonald's Cycles on Wexford Street (Dublin), picked up two tubes, and the lad even put it back into the tyre for me. Took him around one minute which was impressive, but doing the work without payment for labour (even if it just took a minute) earned a lot of goodwill from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

hardCopy wrote: »
    Did you photoshop out the Hi-Viz and helmet? The other thread has a bib and helmet in the pic.

How about photoshopping out the bike?

210565.jpg

210566.jpg

etc.
    http://www.faithistorment.com/2012/05/floating-photos-by-zhao-huasen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tomasrojo wrote: »

How about photoshopping out the bike?
    Reminds me of a video installation where one viewer was edited out of the room as they walked around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

ThisRegard wrote: »

Must have been out on your bike. Kick some ass!

• Advertisement

As long as it's used and put back in such a way that I'd never realise it was taken.
    Planning on getting one of these the weekend actually, although I'd wonder how much use we'll get out of it with the weather we're having, a Bobike maxi Tour
    en_bobike_maxi_tour_urban-black.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement