Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE teletext - very poor to update

• 28-06-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I just want to have a rant about the poor updates on RTEs teletext service, be it Aertel or the digital Saorview text.

Was looking to keep up to date last night with the EA Sports Cup. Not only were there no updates while the games were on, but at midnight there still wasn't even final scores through.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Teletext? Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

TV3 appear to have completely abandoned their teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

teletext is pure old school

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

brmccfc wrote: »
    teletext is pure old school

Then drop it completely.

No point having a service, but it being continually out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I read it everyday.

News and business on RTE and BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I just want to have a rant about the poor updates on RTEs teletext service, be it Aertel or the digital Saorview text.

Was looking to keep up to date last night with the EA Sports Cup. Not only were there no updates while the games were on, but at midnight there still wasn't even final scores through.

This is a joke.... right? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ has to be...nobody uses tvtext anyone. MHEG5 is supposed to be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

teletext and dial-up go hand in hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I still use it, still handy to check flight times. Ceefax use to be pretty good but seems to be gone from my NTL now and the BBC cut alot of the staff from their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OP, why don't you send RTE a telegram to complain about their teletext service?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OP, the last thing you want to be using it for is League of Ireland scores.

It's called Errortel for a reason.

I remember being actually in Tolka Park for a Shels match, we were winning 1-0, went into the bar at halftime and they had it on a few of the screens to show the scores from the other grounds. It was showing Shels as being 0-1 down, and also had a match in Cork as being 1-1 when it was 1-0 to Cork.

They rely on non-RTE people in the ground to phone scores into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

^ has to be...nobody uses tvtext anyone. MHEG5 is supposed to be much better.

why would it be a joke?

I had no access to net and was using the digital text on RTE Saorview, and the football scores were not being updated.

My argument is not about the technology used, its about information being updated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't knock Teletext.

We use it all the time in my local pub to check racing results.
    Damn handy it is too. A lot easier (and faster) to hit 251 on the remote than go frigging around with i-phones.

Racing results are usually updated fairly promptly, but I agree with OP in relation to other sports results. It can be sluggish at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I find with RTE teletext that sometimes complete paragraphs just suddenly disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

I don't get all the teletext bashing in here. While a tad behind the times yes, I know plenty of people who use it daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I use teletext all the time, no need for the bashing

180 for what's on now.
    183 for films previews

And OP while they are slow to update some things they are always quick on 150 for the lotto

I'd say 150 is one of their used pages

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

RTE's teletext has gone to the dogs, and it's not just recently but has been happening for some time now. I have been a regular user of Aertel for years, and when once it was fairly reliable, now it needs double-checking. For example, flight arrivals and departures can start missing flights, even if they've already been on the pages 571, 572; updating is very slow. (Although it has to be said that the DAA website isn't particularly brilliant in this regard either). Also, one can be checking page 182 for the night's films, only to find, when flicking through the channels later, that Aertel omitted to list a particular film. Page 316 is irregularly updated, especially at the weekend, even though it ostensibly lists peoples' birthdays. Page 103 can be annoying, not for the reason of updating, but because of the composer's use of language to fill up a line of text, no matter how little sense it makes.
    I still use Aertel because it's very handy, despite its limitations. But I agree with the OP: why have it at all if it's not done properly? I suppose its days are numbered now anyway. It'll more than likely go the way of Ceefax (Now that was an amazing service).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

NIMAN wrote: »
    why would it be a joke?

I had no access to net and was using the digital text on RTE Saorview, and the football scores were not being updated.

My argument is not about the technology used, its about information being updated.
    Most of the results are still typed in by hand which only feeds the old teletext system. They will be automating the process for every match shortly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

murpho999 wrote: »
    OP, why don't you send RTE a telegram to complain about their teletext service?

if they hurry they can make the midnight gyrocopter to Cork and then the last zeppelin to RTE head office. hurry though they're expecting news of Germany invading Poland soon, might be another war!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

krudler wrote: »
    if they hurry they can make the midnight gyrocopter to Cork and then the last zeppelin to RTE head office. hurry though they're expecting news of Germany invading Poland soon, might be another war!

Excuse me for being behind the times and not going along with the telegram craze but why not simply use a homing pidgeon? Less hassle if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Excuse me for being behind the times and not going along with the telegram craze but why not simply use a homing pidgeon? Less hassle if you ask me.

Smoke signal??

As someone said earlier, I'd use it to see the listings on tv for that particular time. You can't always be on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

TVs still have teletext man thats oldskool :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,176 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ollie1 wrote: »
    TVs still have teletext man thats oldskool :eek:

Who's the teletext man ? I can't see him on mine :(

What does he look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who's the teletext man ? I can't see him on mine :(

What does he look like?

Bamboozle_Last_Screen.jpg