Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal wise, are salary and wage different? What about overtime?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering about something was checking out the workers rights in Ireland, and I couldn't get find a direct answer to this.
    You must, however, receive at the very least your normal hourly rate of pay for overtime.

This is from the website, however if you are on a salary say €20,000 per year, can you work backwards, assume a 40 hour week and determine your hourly rate?

It's not so obvious from a salary perspective.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Well your actual hourly wages would be your salary divided by the actual number of hours you work in a year - might be more or less than 40hrs/wk average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Salary = total annual income

Wages = hourly rate x hours worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Jev/N wrote: »

Thanks for that , And here was me thinking Salary = 'Middle Class ' and Wages = ' Working Class ' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Jev/N wrote: »

Thanks, that is what I used to think and then an accounting lecturer in IT Carlow convinced me that they were totally different, that some people were on a wage and some people were on a salary. The only difference is the measure of time it is still the same thing fundementally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

That's only my understanding of the two concepts, I wouldn't take it for gospel!

Basically I think that you get paid the same every week if you're on a salary, unless with some massive overtime or an annual bonus.

With wages I thought it varies on a weekly/monthly basis depending on time worked, with more emphasis on overtime payments etc.

I could be completely wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yeah, wages are €/hr and salary is €/year IMO

Advertisement