Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

• 02-03-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

"Samsung" "staffer" "confirms" "release" "April" "2012"
    elReg wrote:
    A Samsung staffer has confirmed that the Galaxy S III smartphone will be out next month, as past rumours and the handset's officially recognised absence from this week's Mobile World Congress (MWC) have suggested.

That said, the source, who whispered in the ear of the chap from ZDNet Korea, spilled the beans under the condition he remain anonymous, so this is no official confirmation of the launch.

The mole didn't discuss the handset's specs, which are said to centre on a quad-core processor - a kind of chip Sony, for one, doesn't think is ready for prime time - a 12Mp camera and a curved OLED screen.

It's hard to see it not shipping with Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

The indications are the S III will be go on sale first in the UK, tied into Samsung's sponsorship of the London Olympics this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Must hold myself back from getting too excited! Nope cat do it! I want it now damn it!

(edit: should be merged into sgs 3 thread in android forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yup, I can probably get one day one, where I work. The rumoured specs look massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I was speaking to a very reliable Samsung Rep in work, and it is being announced mid-March and will not have a 12MP camera, only 8MP.

I'd say it will be fantastic though!

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    I was speaking to a very reliable Samsung Rep in work, and it is being announced mid-March and will not have a 12MP camera, only 8MP.

I would be more than happy with 8 if it had zero shutter lag.

god's toy wrote: »
    jayjay2010 wrote: »

I would be more than happy with 8 if it had zero shutter lag.
    Yeah, the SGSII was meant to have zero shutter lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

There was an article on Engadget at the start of last month mentioning that the Samsung Galaxy S III (or whatever name the successor to the S II will be called) will have it's own launch in the first half of this year, which matches what RangeR mentions in his first post.

As a Samsung Galaxy S II owner, I'm really looking forward to what specifications the S III will have; however, I might not be upgrading as soon as it's launched as I can't think of any feature that will warrant the upgrade. I understand there will be an improved screen, camera, CPU etc, and as a lover of mobile phones I'm always excited when new technology is released, but I just don't see the need for a quad-core CPU in a phone, especially when I won't be using the phone for any task that would warrant it, i.e. gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I picked up a galaxy s2 the other day and it is pretty amazing, an improved version would be great but I don't think I need a quad core cpu.

A bit ot but I was thinking seeing as phones are out now with laptop docks would it be possible to get a phone that you could dock into a tablet.
    Seems like a great idea to me and one I would buy straight away, does something like it exist already or is it a silly idea.

54kroc wrote: »
    I picked up a galaxy s2 the other day and it is pretty amazing, an improved version would be great but I don't think I need a quad core cpu.

A bit ot but I was thinking seeing as phones are out now with laptop docks would it be possible to get a phone that you could dock into a tablet.
    Seems like a great idea to me and one I would buy straight away, does something like it exist already or is it a silly idea.

It's a great idea! You could just pop your phone into the side/back/wherever of the tablet-dock and away you go. With quad-core handsets coming out in droves in the coming months, this is easily something that would not only be cheaper than buying both a mobile phone and tablet by the same company, i.e. Samsung Galaxy S II + Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but would cut down on the need for two sim cards and two mobile contracts if you were someone who wanted to stay connected on both devices wherever you went.

54kroc, I'm off to Samsung with that idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Airhead21

I am due my upgrade and I have I phone 4 was thinking of going for samsung galaxy s11 but should I wait for the new one?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd have said so, the price of the SGS2 hasn't really dropped in about 6 months so from a depreciation of the phone point of view, id wait for the SGS3. Whats more the HTC ONE X and the LG 4x really impressed me when they were unveiled, i'm expecting this phone to absolutely blow my mind! That edge to edge screen design thats being mooted everywhere, looks amazing!

I've had a SGS1 for about a year and a half, i'll get this in a few months as long as it isn't extortionately priced. Also here's hoping it still has a microSD slot..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Airhead21 wrote: »
    I am due my upgrade and I have I phone 4 was thinking of going for samsung galaxy s11 but should I wait for the new one?????

Product announcement is three weeks off.

At least wait til you know what the III is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Airhead21 wrote: »

I'm the same as you but am holding out for another few weeks and see what's happening then!! I'd be sickened if I upgraded to the sII and than the sIII was released a few weeks later!:eek:

I actually can't wait to wait to get rid of my iPhone!! Hate it so much

Anyone know the date that samsung are releasing the specs????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

54kroc wrote: »

Not quite what your thinking of but same idea, i'm using one, cracking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

How curved is curved.. Not into the idea of curved screens at all.

Amalgam wrote: »

I don't see how it work anyway, there would be no advantage and plenty of disadvantages, the cost of manufacturing curved glass would be a lot higher as well. I'd say it's a non runner, a curved design maybe but the glass needs to be flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Both the nexus s, and galaxy nexus use curved displays. I wouldn't rule it out for the sg3.

Any word on s111 specs yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Amalgam wrote: »

I don't see how it work anyway, there would be no advantage and plenty of disadvantages, the cost of manufacturing curved glass would be a lot higher as well. I'd say it's a non runner, a curved design maybe but the glass needs to be flat.

Have a look at a display Nokia lumia 800, it has it and while not cheap it's a good bit cheaper than iPhones. I have one, aesthetically the screen looks great which is all it is meant to do.

Have a look at a display Nokia lumia 800, it has it and while not cheap it's a good bit cheaper than iPhones. I have one, aesthetically the screen looks great which is all it is meant to do.

I've a dummy in my hand, see what you mean, the curve is nice in it, the edges on the phone should have matched it though. They should have curved them as well like a smooth pebble. The nokia feels heavier than an xperia s even though it's a lot smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

any update on a release date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I wouldn't believe any of these rumours until something official is released.

Samsung have a massive task on their hands, i think the popularity of the SGSII even surprised them, trying to better the best smartphone ever made is a big job but ive every confidence they will come up with the goods.:cool:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    any update on a release date?

I would say it will be within the next few weeks, especially given the recent rumours about the S III coming thick and fast.

I'm really looking forward to the official announcement! Given what I've been reading around the net, some of the features the S III will supposedly have are pretty insane, e.g. 1080p display, ceramic case with inductive charging. I'll probably stick with my S II when the S III is released but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I see myself going out and getting an S III because it's all new and shiny :D

Just try not to dream too hard peeps, the hardware specs were locked down months ago and people like to lose the run of themselves with wild speculation being sold as 'fact' on many of those sites, Remember the Crapple iphoney 5 hype?...

Will the GS3 be super impressive? You bet ya! Will be life changing, everything you wanted and more? Perhaps not...
    BUT will I be buying it anyway? Oh hell yea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i have moved this thread to the android forum
    thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So what are the rumoured specs and will it be better than the HTC One X?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

That's the disappointing thing. Everything we have heard so far is just rumours. There is nothing substantiated at all about this. In fact, I believe Samsung haven't even confirmed that they are working on a S3!

I would imagine that they might have released some information by now, if not only to pour some water over HTCs parade?

For that reason I would guess that they are nowhere near release at the moment (for whatever reason they have), and they are probably a few months away at best.

Zascar wrote: »
    So what are the rumoured specs and will it be better than the HTC One X?

Just saw some of them his morning. Beast of a device, compared to an SGS2. Looks lovely, although I'm not a fan of white phones.

I haven't heard even a whisper of the SGS3 yet. Nothing but rumour and here-say. The most spectacular rumour is the wireless charging. That would be awsome.

HTC One X
    32GB standard
    NFC
    4.7 inch screen [720p?]
    Bluetooth 4
    ** Secondary camera is worse than SGS2
    Quad Core CPU
    1800mAh battery

Saadyst wrote: »
    That's the disappointing thing. Everything we have heard so far is just rumours. There is nothing substantiated at all about this. In fact, I believe Samsung haven't even confirmed that they are working on a S3!

I believe official word is imminent [1 to 2 months at most]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Despite being 31 with a wife, child and real world problems a portion of every day is spent worrying that the S3 won't be a good as the one-x

Advertisement