Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N17 - Tuam to Collooney

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

antoobrien wrote: »
    The flip side of that is that several companies are making noises about leaving the west due to lack of proper infrastructure.

Disagree. Waterford (for example) has some kickass Infrastructure for its size, yet has had massive exodus of jobs in recent years.

Companies dont just stay for the infrastructure. Dublin had a big population and lots of jobs long before M50, Luas etc existed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Disagree. Waterford (for example) has some kickass Infrastructure for its size, yet has had massive exodus of jobs in recent years.

They stay and leave primarily for costs and many of the jobs in Waterford (and indeed Limerick) were lost before the infrastructure was in place.
    Companies dont just stay for the infrastructure. Dublin had a big population and lots of jobs long before M50, Luas etc existed

Dublin had lots jobs because of it's position as one of the the major cities of the empire and then Haugheynomics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

antoobrien wrote: »
    Dublin had lots jobs because of it's position as one of the the major cities of the empire and then Haugheynomics.

Dublin has it's position because of its location and size; and because of the parochial incoherent alternatives suggest by the "hospital in every parish" rural TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Busyatwork says "Roads will creat jobs in the construction and alot of the large companies would set up in the west if the infistructure was there.."

Aye, temporary jobs to keep the early school leaving Plebs happy..

INfrastructure! What CEO will tolerate 1990s standard internet speed and decide to locate a manufacturing plant in the West. I'd say in Geogregor's East of POland they actually have what the Irish West is glaringly lacking!!

I will say this much that having an effective 4-lane interstate (Atlantic Fracking Corridor, anyone?) running from Cork to Derry is a sheer folly and demonstrates that the NRA is a seriously out-of-control quango that needs reining in. And they are in deed out of control; a case in point €815,000 allocation for a mere set of traffic lights and 2 roundabouts entering a town north of Claremorris which itself is to be bypassed, negating the €815k spend is barking mad!

Comments in # 56 by veryangryman are spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

[QUOTE=
    I will say this much that having an effective 4-lane interstate running from Cork to Derry is a sheer folly and demonstrates that the NRA is a seriously out-of-control quango. And they are in deed out of control; a case in point €815,000 allocation for a mere set of traffic lights and 2 roundabouts for a town north of Claremorris which is to be bypassed eventually (but is suspended ) is barking mad![/QUOTE]

what town do you speak of ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

PM'ed you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I will say this much that having an effective 4-lane interstate (Atlantic Fracking Corridor, anyone?) running from Cork to Derry is a sheer folly and demonstrates that the NRA is a seriously out-of-control quango that needs reining in.

The Atlantic corridor was government policy not NRA policy. The NRAs job is to get roads built when the government tells them to and then maintain them. Have a look here, as you're obviously not aware of their function.

Also not all of the corridor was planned to be motorway. That was only planned between Tuam and Cork, of which the Limerick to Cork bit is badly needed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The Atlantic corridor was government policy not NRA policy. The NRAs job is to get roads built when the government tells them to and then maintain them. Have a look here, as you're obviously not aware of their function.

Also not all of the corridor was planned to be motorway. That was only planned between Tuam and Cork, of which the Limerick to Cork bit is badly needed.

Additionally, we're badly in need of balanced regional development in this country. Many areas are quite remote. The northwest in particular suffers from long journey times to anywhere else.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender for realignment of the junction between the N17 and the L4505 road here has been issued.

N17 is an absolute state at this location.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=103431&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bah, they should just be going ahead with the Tobercurry bypass and replace the whole lot with a dualler.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender for realignment of the junction between the N17 and the L4505 road here has been issued.

N17 is an absolute state at this location.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=103431&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

So we are going to be left with a dog track instead of improving the whole road to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

I see Sean Canney has announced that funding is to be provided for works to commence on the design of the N17 from Milltown to Carrownurlaur realignment. Anyone know how long this might take or what route they might take? There are alot of buildings very close to the road on this stretch with alot of bends which would make it very difficult to just widen the existing road without demolishing buildings or would they go completely off line with a new stretch of road?
    Its on Sean Canneys website under "Local news" "galway east". I cant post the link cos i don't have enough posts :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So we are going to be left with a dog track instead of improving the whole road to Sligo.
    ^^ This. ^^

Sadly they prefer to waste millions on projects like that instead of doing it once and well. czolem.gif

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/n17-is-suspended-35195206.html

News of the schemes being suspended has finally reached the Sligo Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    I see Sean Canney has announced that funding is to be provided for works to commence on the design of the N17 from Milltown to Carrownurlaur realignment. Anyone know how long this might take or what route they might take? There are alot of buildings very close to the road on this stretch with alot of bends which would make it very difficult to just widen the existing road without demolishing buildings or would they go completely off line with a new stretch of road?
    Its on Sean Canneys website under "Local news" "galway east". I cant post the link cos i don't have enough posts :-(

I thought he'd be giving out about not spending on the wrc no? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

Link to mayo http://www.regdesign.com/Projects/N17%20Charlestown%20Bypass.htm not working, error 404 page not found returned
    From looking at the site this part of M17 has now been suspended.

I wouldn't hold my breath that this will go ahead anytime before 2025 or maybe later going on past in Mayo

The new N26 very short section of 'new' single carriageway into Ballina only went a couple of miles out from the town. Michael Woods FF TD who at the time was Min for Transport said it was hardly worth taking the machines from the site as it would be continued so soon. Machines if left there since that time would be well seized up by now.

Another of his quotes at the time 'No more roads to nowhere' well, we have plenty of them and it looks as though Ballina road will wait a very long time after being kicked to touch by an bord pleanala

Case of Mayo God Help Us ???

Sligo county council have huge debt so nothing will happen between Charlestown and Sligo.

In Galway it took an accident with the loss of 4 student lives to get Galway to pull the finger out and do a small upgrade of N17 at Carrownurlaur, about 2km from Ballindine. I remember it as a spot where you'd come around the corner to be faced with sheep wandering on the long acre back in the 70's and later too. Ok if you were familiar with the road but a stranger would have to be quick on the anchors or lamb would be on the menu.

Locals and commuting motorists had been complaining about that section of road for years but nothing happened. Seems it take a huge accident and the publicity to go with it to get a bit of action

I think there is a better chance of getting trains from Athenry to Sligo on derelict railway (odds about 1,000,000/1) than getting a motorway between Tuam and Sligo in this century unless there is a mighty change of modus operandi in the three Co Co's
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    South of Tobercurry you need to check the Mayo Roads Design office website. Around and North of Tobercurry it would be Sligo.

http://www.regdesign.com/Projects/N17%20Charlestown%20Bypass.htm

This is then divided into two schemes, crudely Knock - Charlestown and then Charlestown Tobercurry.

Galway will deal with Claremorris - Tuam.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The county council have no say over the national primary routes or secondary. The NRA or TII whatever make the calls on the N17. Then the government are over them.

You're right though they'll be no road schemes on the N17 for possibly another 20 years. The M17 will make a huge difference though to Tuam.

There's little vision on where priorities are on irelands road network at present. Another drive to complete routes end to end is needed. Atlantic Corridor needs to become the priority with a big budget and a clearly defined list of sub-projects. Then the N17 will see progress.

Advertisement