Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return time limit for damaged goods at Dunnes?

• 29-06-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Hi, I bought a plastic lunchbox in Dunnes that when I returned home, I discovered was cracked. That was at the end of May and I am just after finding the receipt now, is there a time limit on when a damaged object can be exchanged or refunded? The receipt only mentions a limit of 28 days for the return of goods in saleable condition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Typically, it would still fall within the 28 days (unless it has a specific warranty). However if you go in with your receipt and lunchbox they may still exchange it for another one as a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Theoretically there is no real time limit on this kind of return because the item was damaged/faulty when you got it. You have six years from the date of purchase to make a claim for a faulty good.

The 28 day policy only applies to goods which are fine but you've changed your mind.

You only real problem is convincing the shop that it was in fact damaged when you bought it, seeing as this much time has passed. But I'd be surprised if they would quibble over such a small item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just to continue my rampage of picking up on small points but there is a requirement that the buyer act promptly.

See Section 21 of the 1980 Act or Section 53 of the 1893 Act.

That said they're hardly going to give you a problem over a lunch box :pac:

I think you'd be in for a shock if you expect Dunnes not to quibble over a small item.

When I worked in Dunnes (many years ago) I seen the store manager have a back and forth argument for about 15 minutes with a customer who had brought back a pot that had been destroyed.

Apparently the guy was using it for something (not entirely sure what, as I didn't hear the start of the conversation) and the pot (small cooking pot) melted and bubbled a bit, cracking and breaking at the bottom. This guy was armed to the teeth with information about how the material the pot was from was supposed to be able to withstand temperatures of such and such and the store manager was saying the pots intended purpose was traditional kitchen cooking.

Back and forth for what felt like an eternity until the customer got a refund. Was quite funny, as I wasn't directly involved, but yeah, if it's outside the 28 days, I'd kinda be expecting them to put up some kind of a fight.

Advertisement