Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equality on the Titanic

Options
  • 14-12-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I was just reading something about the Titanic and how the lifeboats were filled with women and childern first and it got me thinking, with the level of equality demanded in todays society would the same rule apply should a similar situation happen circa 2011.

As a man, would you be happy to let the women survive or is it "every man for himself" these days?

Women, would you feel entitled to a space on a lifeboat before a man?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I'm a woman - I get to go first. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Woman have fought for equality with men for the last 100 years, if i'm on a boat and it sinks i will grant them their wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I think it is still meant to be women and children first but I don't think I am entitled to a place on a lifeboat just cos i'm a woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

"BITCH GET OUT MY WAY! YOU'RE UGLY ANYWAY"

One of the last things they'll ever hear ^^

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It wouldn't still be the case. There's enough life boat spaces these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Bankers, politicians and developers first.

Actually, never mind that.

Bankers, politicians and developers ONLY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Id just jump in and swim... they said the ship was unsinkable .. wouldnt be trustin the life boats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

any woman on this boat will be blasted with piss.

Any woman that wants in after that deserves her place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

If the childers are skangers, they're not getting on before me...likewise the wimmin unless they're hot.....but if I survive I expect serious oral attention after :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Who's gonna make the sandwiches if the boat is full of useless men who can't use washing machines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Sonics2k wrote: »
    "BITCH GET OUT MY WAY! YOU'RE UGLY ANYWAY"

One of the last things they'll ever hear ^^

Which brings up another issue...should it only be the good looking people allowed to get on the lifeboats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the quality of threads in AH has been sinking lately

sorry

Which brings up another issue...should it only be the good looking people allowed to get on the lifeboats?

No way. Unless they're strong enough to get past me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As some films represent, the statue quo was NOT honoured then, so why would it be different now?

We'd ALL drown today. And we do have a few contemporary examples of that sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think our understanding should be modified to "parents and children". I've no problem waiting my turn with the dudes, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld let the bitch get on the boat.
    Bitches love boats...

No way. Unless they're strong enough to get past me .

You mean if their stomachs are strong enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Don't care as long as Jack Dawson goes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Old people, children, sick/disabled people, pregnant women (because they may not be able for swimming) first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Being overly selective during evacuation is just going to slow the whole process down and cause more people to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kim_Il_Jong

Dudess wrote: »
    Old people, children, sick/disabled people, pregnant women (because they may not be able for swimming) first.

The old have seen enough, world population is out of control, disability is such suffering.

Yes madam, the boats are at the far end, ...not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Children yes, but women nah, and we are physically stronger so the headline will read 1700 lost all women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm 23, **** the old bastards they've lived their lives like **** am I giving up 50 odd years for there 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I'd probably fly to be honest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

This again, wasn't this thread done already in the ladies lounge.

Kittens first. Then Kids. Then adults by usefulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Arawn wrote: »
    I'm 23, **** the old bastards they've lived their lives like **** am I giving up 50 odd years for there 10

Well i'm not giving up my 30 something years for your 50 so we would have to fight for it.

Sharrow wrote: »

But maybe this time there will be a happy ending and our hearts will go on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sharrow wrote: »
    Yeah but the aim of that exercise was clearly to weed out hypocritical feminazis who insisted women should be first.

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »

Hmmm good point. Or is it. After all they must have done something right to make it to that age,whereas what have you done?

Advertisement