Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pokemon General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Havent played pokemon in years... really since gba... but im gonna jump back in... should i start on x and y or go back a bit further.. only have the 3dsXL so going back further might be difficult although I do have some old handhelds in the attic. Basically should I jump straight back in to x or y. And any tips to get me going

You should be fine to just jump back in to X or Y. I missed Gen 5 so was a little out of the loop in that regard but got caught up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Havent played pokemon in years... really since gba... but im gonna jump back in... should i start on x and y or go back a bit further.. only have the 3dsXL so going back further might be difficult although I do have some old handhelds in the attic. Basically should I jump straight back in to x or y. And any tips to get me going

You'll be fine, pokemon isn't hard to catch up on.

If you want, the 3DS will play the DS games and black/white should be quite cheap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Thanks guys. Went into tesco today to get x or y and picked up black 2 for a fiver. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cathalobrien

I last played pokemon at my game boy, it was ages ago, anyway I can play on my Android phone this days?

I last played pokemon at my game boy, it was ages ago, anyway I can play on my Android phone this days?

No, not the actual game. You can play emulators of the old games, Or an online mmo. (PokemonOmega is one)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Just remember, discussion on where to get and how to use ROMs is not permitted.

If you can't find roms with the aid of google you're in trouble.

You can get apple emulators so I assume you can get the same for android.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You can get apple emulators so I assume you can get the same for android.

Yes you can, there are android apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I am really hating how long it takes to get points in Voltorb Flip in SoulSilver. But I want those TMs! I already got the Dratini.

EDIT: Currently replaying SoulSilver. I'm torn between what water pokemon to use. I have an Eevee that I can turn into Vaporeon when I get a water stone. There's Wooper, Poliwag, Tentacool. I'm swamped by choice. Also, I guess I need a hm slave. It doesn't need to know surf, that'll go on my water pokemon, but will need to know strength, cut and rock smash.

I was without a water pokémon or a flying pokémon for aaaages in Soulsilver. Finally found a Mantine and thought that was Fly and Surf sorted. Turns out, it can't use Fly.

• Anyone out there still playing Pokémon Black? It was my first real ever Pokémon game (having never owned a Gameboy before and having only played with emulators before then - favourite game was definitely Crystal) and I got it, along with a second-hand DS Lite, a month ago. Really enjoying it, have done the Elite Four twice, met all of the sages apart from Ghetsis, caught most of the legendaries (Reshiram, Kyurem, Thornadus, Cobalion, Virizion and Terrakion) and am now just sort of wandering about aimlessly trying to fill up the Pokédex and strengthen my chosen team of six.*

Thing is, I still don't get how stuff like trading and online battles work. :o I'm assuming any threads where people ask for friend codes, or any future event Pokémon events, require an XY friend code? =/
    Also never figured out what Pokémon Gloabal Link or Dream World were (never caught that Musharna with the magical mist, or whatever it is) but just looked it up there and found out they had been phased out for a while anyway and then closed down this month. :( Even though I'm really glad to finally have a proper Pokémon game it's kind of annoying that everyone else out there now has a 3DS and XY (which I won't be able to afford for a LONG time) so I've still missed out on quite a bit.

*Emboar (Boris), Excadrill (Russell), Vanilluxe (M'Lady), Swanna (Svetlana), Zebstrika (Jebediah) and Scolipede (Gladys); maybe not the strongest team of six ever but they've served me well so far! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The trading / Battling in Gen 5 (Black, White, Black 2, White 2) and Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver) works like this (maybe, it's been a while!):
    You get a Pal Pad (you usually get it after Gym 1)
    You talk to the desk clerks upstairs in the Pokécenter, one of them gives you a Friend Code after connecting to the Nintendo WiFi service. I think. I may be making up the Wifi part.
    Once you have a friend code, you exchange codes with other players. They register you in their Pal Pads, you register them.
    Now you can enter the WiFi Room upstairs in the Pokemon Center. Not the local wifi one, the other one.
    Once in the room, you can see any registered friends who've also registered you that are also in the wifi room at the same time. You can approach the screen at the back of the room and set yourself to looking for a trade or battle, and then wait. And wait...... and wait.....

Worth noting, in X / Y it's much, much easier than that - you play the game while connected to wifi, you get notified if any of your 3DS friends, previous trade/battle partners and generally any passers by are available, then it's one click to offer a trade/fight. If you're seriously in to online battling and trading you might want to think about how much you need that spare kidney...

Fire Red and Leaf Green were released 10 years ago today in Japan.

Just to make you feel even older, this time next month will be 18(!!!) years since the release of Red and Green in Japan. October will be 16 years since we got them here.

Charizard's Burning Ambition from the Johto season has to be the funniest episode they've done. Or at least from the ones I have seen. I havent laughed so much at comedy shows. Charizard's facial expressions are brilliant from start to finish, especially during the flying scene. If you havent seen it, I strongly advise watching it.

nqsixO8.jpg

Charizard is boss, basically.

So I can't move pokémon from Leafgreen and Emerald to Diamond because my GBA carts are American and my DS cart and console are local. Would I be able to trade them from those carts into local GBA carts?

deathrider wrote: »
    So I can't move pokémon from Leafgreen and Emerald to Diamond because my GBA carts are American and my DS cart and console are local. Would I be able to trade them from those carts into local GBA carts?

From US Leaf Green/Emerald to EU Fire Red/Ruby/Sapphire? Should do.

From US Leaf Green/Emerald to EU Fire Red/Ruby/Sapphire? Should do.

Excellent stuff. That should help me out. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Did anyone here purchase PokeBank ?

Did anyone here purchase PokeBank ?

I've been using the free trial. I haven't subscribed to the service though.

This is hilarious to watch outside of the battles: http://de.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was watching a bit of it yesterday evening, painful to watch. Nearly 3 days and they weren't even in Rock Tunnel :P

• Advertisement

Angron wrote: »
    I was watching a bit of it yesterday evening, painful to watch. Nearly 3 days and they weren't even in Rock Tunnel :P

It took them forever to get out of Erika's gym after beating her. Watch for maybe half an hour but thats it. Any longer and you'll want to shoot yourself :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I was watching last night, them trying to go through Erika's gym. It's fantastic though. But extremely frustrating!

They managed to release Charmeleon earlier today and also tossed a Fire Stone that they were trying to use to evolve Eevee. Safari Zone should be fun due to the limited number of steps.

If they manage to hold it together long enough to leave the first area I'll be a little surprised :pac:

I'm dying to watch this, but I just haven't had any spare time. I'll look forward to watching a highlights reel though.

Some idiots are just spamming start over and over now. Helix Fossil seems to be gone too. Assume its in the PC since it cant be sold. Can it be tossed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

They managed to release Charmeleon earlier today and also tossed a Fire Stone that they were trying to use to evolve Eevee. Safari Zone should be fun due to the limited number of steps.

They have a Flareon now! Also a level 44 Pidgeot, which seems impressively high.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A Neurotic wrote: »
    They have a Flareon now! Also a level 44 Pidgeot, which seems impressively high.

Yeah I was wondering how it got so levelled up. I think it was 42 at Erika's gym.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I helped get the first badge :) Only about 4k concurrent players at that point but now it's almost impossible to contribute to the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Yeah, I really don't understand how it's even playable. Not alone is there the thousands of commands, but apparently there's a 30-second delay between command and action as well? How the hell do they even get through doors?

Advertisement