Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cavan - Ballyconnell? Input pls

• 08-02-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,

planning to move to Cavan, particularly Ballyconnell area. can anyone advise me about those areas? i mean, quiet, rough, the people, job opportunities, etc?

since i dont know the place yet, the only good thing i can think of about living in Cavan is, close to the North. im guessing its worth the journey to do big shopping in the North considering the prices in Ireland? open to correction.

how about for petty things like posting mails, petrol, etc, is still worth it to do it in the north - providing u live in Ballyconnell (about 35 - 40 mins to Enniskillen i believe?)

whats the broadband like in Ballyconnell area? any suggestion on best broadband to get?

thats all i can think of for now.

thanks a lot for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

not 100% sure of some of the questions but im sure people here will answer them more clearly for you but ill answer what i know.

Ballyconnell is a nice part of the country to move to,People are nice and friendly and now different than every other nice town. Job opportunities may be the same as every where at the moment,very slack and only for the likes of quinns factory,boxmore plastics,there not that much else.

The border with fermanagh is just 5 mins down the road,Of Course its also good to "shop local" but if the price war is winning down the road i would be at the same.

Posting Mail is the same as everywhere,Theres a post office in the town.

Petrol is FAR cheaper in the republic than in the north as there is a far higher tax rate of petrol prices.

Broadband isin't great in Ballyconnell in my opionion,You have eircom and other private companies which are good but are relatively dearer. Theres 3G Broadband aswel but not up on this in ballyconnell myself.

Hope this may have cleared up a thing or two for you but hopefully im right on most of it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    not 100% sure of some of the questions but im sure people here will answer them more clearly for you but ill answer what i know.

Ballyconnell is a nice part of the country to move to,People are nice and friendly and now different than every other nice town. Job opportunities may be the same as every where at the moment,very slack and only for the likes of quinns factory,boxmore plastics,there not that much else.

The border with fermanagh is just 5 mins down the road,Of Course its also good to "shop local" but if the price war is winning down the road i would be at the same.

Posting Mail is the same as everywhere,Theres a post office in the town.

Petrol is FAR cheaper in the republic than in the north as there is a far higher tax rate of petrol prices.

Broadband isin't great in Ballyconnell in my opionion,You have eircom and other private companies which are good but are relatively dearer. Theres 3G Broadband aswel but not up on this in ballyconnell myself.

Hope this may have cleared up a thing or two for you but hopefully im right on most of it :o

thx Bummer1234, this is grand. abt fuel sorry i should hv put diesel, my car is diesel. i dont know why i put petrol :confused:.

i am currently using mobile broadband with really cr*p bandwith allowance. wish could have unlimited broadband plsssss ireland??? hopefully at least i could get good signal there. thx again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

thx Bummer1234, this is grand. abt fuel sorry i should hv put diesel, my car is diesel. i dont know why i put petrol :confused:.

i am currently using mobile broadband with really cr*p bandwith allowance. wish could have unlimited broadband plsssss ireland??? hopefully at least i could get good signal there. thx again

Its the same for Diesel,Its alot cheaper.

Unlimited broadband im not 100% sure on but Arden broadband mite be your best bet for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The whole going north for shopping has died down tbh.

Shops in Cavan town are getting better if you can hack the poor service etc.

As for BB, forget it. Cavan is years behind most counties. Mobile 3g is the better option. I use a 3g booster and I've got 2mb BB. Depends if your in an estate or out on your own.

Arden are good if you got line of sight. Eircom are a joke and after that the rest are much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 superspark

Ballyconnell is a relatively quiet town but no town is crime free, friendly people, lots of pubs and restaurants, slieve russell close by, not many available jobs at the minute, close to cavan or enniskillen town, broadband in the town should be average cause its close to the telephone exchange, i'm with BT and find it good, any other questions PM me

• Advertisement

The whole going north for shopping has died down tbh.

Shops in Cavan town are getting better if you can hack the poor service etc.

As for BB, forget it. Cavan is years behind most counties. Mobile 3g is the better option. I use a 3g booster and I've got 2mb BB. Depends if your in an estate or out on your own.

Arden are good if you got line of sight. Eircom are a joke and after that the rest are much the same.

glad to hear shops in cavan are getting better. Yeah I might stick wif my mobile BB. Im currently with O2, and getting 3 meg.

thx again for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well i'm 7km outside Cavan town and only with the booster do i get anything better than dial up.

AFAIK 3g are legally commited to providing you with access to there products. They could be an option if you've no coverage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Im from Dublin and living 3 miles outside Ballyconnell the last 6 years , As far as employment goes it is like the rest of the country , I havent been looking for jobs in Dublin but up there it seems to be more people to fill less jobs and its pretty much the same here depending on what you are looking for . You might be lucky and get admin work but dont be relying on Ballyconnell for employment .I work in Cavan town , What im trying to say is if you are moving up with the hope of getting a job with the likes of the Quinn group then i would think long and hard before moving (read between the lines) given the fact that they are not taking on anyway .
    Broadband is fine , never an issue with a company called ciaracom .
    Nightlife is great craic in BallyC if your into live music then LizzyBoogies pub has class bands every saturday and other pubs have nightclubs from midnight on.
    There is a place on the main street in BallyC called FG Properties give them a ring and they will be able to give you rental rates or prices for purchasing properties around the town , there is a few bargains to be had at the moment. About 5 miles outside the town there is a place called ODD.IE , Out Doors and Dirty . They do Hovercrafting and off road buggies and all that stuff its a great place .
    All in i find it a great place and wouldnt move back to dublin , its good to visit but its nicer to leave till the next time .
    Hope this helps a bit if you want anymore specific answers just ask or if you want info or phone numbers for places PM me .

If your coming up for a visit to check out the town I can recommend Prospect Bay B&B you will be able to see it online at http://www.prospectbay.ie/

Bayles

Well i'm 7km outside Cavan town and only with the booster do i get anything better than dial up.

AFAIK 3g are legally commited to providing you with access to there products. They could be an option if you've no coverage at all.

thx unclebill, appreciate this

bayles wrote: »
    Im from Dublin and living 3 miles outside Ballyconnell the last 6 years , As far as employment goes it is like the rest of the country , I havent been looking for jobs in Dublin but up there it seems to be more people to fill less jobs and its pretty much the same here depending on what you are looking for . You might be lucky and get admin work but dont be relying on Ballyconnell for employment .I work in Cavan town , What im trying to say is if you are moving up with the hope of getting a job with the likes of the Quinn group then i would think long and hard before moving (read between the lines) given the fact that they are not taking on anyway .
    Broadband is fine , never an issue with a company called ciaracom .
    Nightlife is great craic in BallyC if your into live music then LizzyBoogies pub has class bands every saturday and other pubs have nightclubs from midnight on.
    There is a place on the main street in BallyC called FG Properties give them a ring and they will be able to give you rental rates or prices for purchasing properties around the town , there is a few bargains to be had at the moment. About 5 miles outside the town there is a place called ODD.IE , Out Doors and Dirty . They do Hovercrafting and off road buggies and all that stuff its a great place .
    All in i find it a great place and wouldnt move back to dublin , its good to visit but its nicer to leave till the next time .
    Hope this helps a bit if you want anymore specific answers just ask or if you want info or phone numbers for places PM me .

If your coming up for a visit to check out the town I can recommend Prospect Bay B&B you will be able to see it online at http://www.prospectbay.ie/

Bayles

wow Bayles, thx a lot for this. Grand info from u. just what i need, some activities to do as spouse and I dont go to pubs nor clubs.

we've found a couple of places to rent, this particular one, is smashing. fingers crossed its still available, will know tmrow. if not, will try the agent u advised.

thanks a lot Bayles. will check ciaracom as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jazzie123

Hi,

planning to move to Cavan, particularly Ballyconnell area. can anyone advise me about those areas? i mean, quiet, rough, the people, job opportunities, etc?

since i dont know the place yet, the only good thing i can think of about living in Cavan is, close to the North. im guessing its worth the journey to do big shopping in the North considering the prices in Ireland? open to correction.

how about for petty things like posting mails, petrol, etc, is still worth it to do it in the north - providing u live in Ballyconnell (about 35 - 40 mins to Enniskillen i believe?)

whats the broadband like in Ballyconnell area? any suggestion on best broadband to get?

thats all i can think of for now.

thanks a lot for the help

Hi, did you move to ballyconnell in the end? If yes, how is it? I am thinking of moving to ballyconnell with my 2 daughters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

jazzie123 wrote: »

Hi, did you move to ballyconnell in the end? If yes, how is it? I am thinking of moving to ballyconnell with my 2 daughters as well.
    Hi, sorry, I posted a reply to you before but it didn't post for some reason :)
    I lived and worked there a few years ago. I had absolutely no problem with anything there. Infact you pretty much have everything you need/want either in the town or very close. there's a good nightlife, a good size supervalu, nice restaurants and take aways, leisure centre up the road in the Slieve Russell Hotel. Its only about 20mins from Cavan town which has all the other big supermarkets, Aldi,lidl,tesco,dunnes, a cinema etc.
    You would also only be about the same distance from Enniskillen which has a huge Asda :)
    Can't think of anything else but if you've any qUestions,feel free To PM me or ask here aNd if I can help, I will :D

Advertisement