Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[RULES QUESTIONS]Any questions or are unsure about anything, ask here before posting.

• 22-03-2010 12:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

As the title says, if you are unsure what to do next on a thread, please ask here before posting.
    If you need a forum rule explained, ask here.
    If you have a specific problem with a post in a thread then please report it as usual, this thread is not for that.

We'll do our best to explain the hows and whys and advise you on how to proceed.

The aim of this thread is to provide an open platform for anyone to discuss the rules and how they apply in particular circumstances.

Bear in mind though the mods decision is still final and the spirit of the rules always outweighs the letter of the rules.

Nasty bits aside, please feel free to discuss anything that you think is unclear and / or you are unsure of. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

If someone is selling something and someone else offers them something for it but is refused,can i ask to buy that even though its not that persons tread.Or can i pm them asking them about the thing or to put a tread up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Deadpool wrote: »
    If someone is selling something and someone else offers them something for it but is refused,can i ask to buy that even though its not that persons tread.Or can i pm them asking them about the thing or to put a tread up.
    There's a couple of situations this can happen in.

1. A FOR SALE thread where someone offers a trade for the item being sold and the offer is specifically rejected by the seller (OP).
    2. A WANTED thread where someone offers their item and the offer is specifically rejected by the buyer (OP).

To stay within the rules, you have the following options:

1. You can not post on the thread to say that you want the offered item, this would be considered thread-spoiling.

2. If the person offering the item already has a for sale thread here for it then you may place an offer on that thread.

3. You can post your own WANTED thread here for the item in question (best option all round imo, you may also get better items offered to you).

4. If the person offering the item does not have a for sale thread here for it then you may contact them privately (PM) *provided* that you only contact them after their offer was rejected. Bear in mind though that randomly contacting people via PM could possibly leave you open to your PM being reported and being dealt with by a site admin as possible spam. I've no control or say in in the matter if that happens.

I hope that makes sense, if not please ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

Thanks. and understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Whats the mods outlook on people offer non-airsoft related ****e for trades? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Whats the mods outlook on people offer non-airsoft related ****e for trades? :confused:
    If someone posts a WANTED ad for a specific Airsoft item and they are offering to trade a non airsoft item then it's within the charter.

If someone lists a non-Airsoft item and they are only looking to trade for "something Airsoft related" then it breaches the charter.

The emphasis of the ad must be on the Airsoft item, not the non-Airsoft item.

Is that what you're asking?

• Advertisement

Yes, I think that sums it up pretty well man, thanks.

Whats the mods opinion on the best way to trade things by post?

Can't really say much other than to quote the adverts rules on that.
    Some general guidlines when dealing with Buyers/Sellers

These guidelines (and they are just that - guidelines) are here to help you enjoy the facility that is adverts.ie in relative safety.
    As soon as you and another party strike a deal, then immediately exchange e-mails/PMs providing both parties with the following information:
    Recommended:
    • Full name
    • Full address and postcode (if applicable)
    • Telephone number (NOT a mobile)
    • Confirmation of details of the trade
    • Payment method
    • Clearly state your understanding of when you expect the money or goods to be sent
    Optional:
    • Preferred and alternative e-mail addresses
    • Mobile number(s)Do not post your personal contact details in any advert.
      Print out or make a note on paper of the contact details of the above person. It is not unheard of for people to lose such information stored on a PC due to virus or hard drive problems. Should there be any delay in completion then both parties will have full contact details to hand.
      Please do NOT approach the adverts.ie moderators for assistance if you have neglected to take these precautions.

Transaction Advice

When you have made a deal with another user, you'll have to decide how goods/services and money are going to change hands.
      We recommend that you do a reasonable background check on whatever user you are dealing with, this is made easier on adverts.ie with the feedback system available through the user’s adverts.ie profile.
      Even if you are satisfied that the user has a good transaction history, it is worth taking some precautions for the transaction.
      • Meet in Person - where possible, physically meet the person you are dealing with. Of course, this is not always possible as users are based all over the country. The benefits here are that you get to see whatever it is you are purchasing (or ensure the correct amount of money is being given) before committing. In the event that a serious problem arises, you know what the other party looks like.
      • Use Registered Mail - if meeting up is not an option, we highly recommend using registered mail or insist on it for postage of items. This way, the parcel is both insured and is traceable. For any moderately valued item (€100+, and even below) it is worth paying the extra cash to ensure peace of mind if there is a problem with postage.
      • Use PayPal - while there is a charge for the usage of PayPal, it provides a user-friendly interface between you and your credit card company, and is a welcome alternative to giving your credit card number to the seller! In the event of a problem, PayPal can make use of the fraud protection system of your credit card company and get your money back. We recommend that you get a name and landline number on the off chance that a dispute arises.

Nothing there about trades in specific tho...

If you can be more specific with the question than it'd help.

If it's to do with a specific thread here then pm me or report the post and I'll take a look. :)

• Advertisement

I replied on that thread.

I can't really say much other than read the trading guidelines that I posted above.

Get a landline number and address for each other and have a chat about how you want to trade, boards isn't responsible for anything other than giving you a platform to contact each other.

Sorry if that sounds dismissive but asking me for advice on how to trade would be a bit like ringing RTE and asking them to rule on how to buy something from Superquinn just because you saw an ad on the telly. smile.gif

Is there any age limit in the Airsoft Adverts forum?

Is there any age limit in the Airsoft Adverts forum?
    I believe the general Boards.ie Terms of Use would apply:
    3. Who can join Boards.ie?

People under 13:
    Boards.ie is not directed at children younger than 13 and is offered only to users 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13 years old, you may not register with or use Boards.ie. Any person who registers with Boards.ie represents to us that they are 13 years of age or older.

People aged between 13 and 18:
    We cannot guarantee that all forums are suitable for minors. We recommend that young people aged 13 years of age or older ask their parents or legal guardians for permission before using Boards.ie or sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet. If you are under 18 years old you may not access forums which are flagged as unsuitable for minors. Access to these forums is restricted to paying subscribers who must be 18 years of age or older.

Edit: I'll check with the other mods in case there's anything I'm unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Hi Steve, just one question. Is a PM requesting that an OP reply to a thread considered against the rules, provided no agreements are made?

scanlant wrote: »
    Hi Steve, just one question. Is a PM requesting that an OP reply to a thread considered against the rules, provided no agreements are made?
    Hi,
    Yes, technically that would be off thread dealing.
    If an OP is not responding then report a post in the thread and a mod can contact them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Steve wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes, technically that would be off thread dealing.
    If an OP is not responding then report a post in the thread and a mod can contact them. :)

I was thinking that. Thanks Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I was thinking of selling and have a few questions.

Can i ask to only meet up in one certain place eg. Drogheda? Or do i have to give buyers a choice?

If i want to do a straight swap (which is what i had in mind) , do i still have to post an asking price?

Thanks for the help Steve :)

swiftblade wrote: »
    I was thinking of selling and have a few questions.

Can i ask to only meet up in one certain place eg. Drogheda? Or do i have to give buyers a choice?
    Yes, you can add whatever conditions you want.

e.g:
    "No offers"
    "Will not post, meet only"
    "Can only meet outside the Statoil garage on mnmm road in Drogheda"

If someone says "offer asking", it is assumed that they will meet those conditions.

A bidder can also offer you different terms (e.g. deal via post / meet somewhere else) but you are under no obligation to accept.
    If i want to do a straight swap (which is what i had in mind) , do i still have to post an asking price?
    No, you don't but please be as specific as you can about what you are offering and what you want for swap.

At this time, there are no specific rules governing the value of swaps, it's up to the swappers to negotiate and come to an agreement on how to make up any difference in the value of the items.
    Thanks for the help Steve :)
    My pleasure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Answered perfectly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Airsofter101

Has anyone got any XTMs for sale??

Has anyone got any XTMs for sale??
    You could post a [WANTED] ad here and find out.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Just wondering, you said previously that you cold post any terms you want, and I am just checking if this includes Post count? Its just, I have had a couple of bad experiences with a few under 50's

J.D.R wrote: »
    Just wondering, you said previously that you cold post any terms you want, and I am just checking if this includes Post count? Its just, I have had a couple of bad experiences with a few under 50's
    I can understand your concerns - it's a subject that's come up on adverts before before but never really answered.

On the one hand it's not fair to new users to allow discrimination like this, on the other I can understand you (and others) only wanting to deal with established users.

For now, I'm going to say it's not cool to refuse to deal based on postcount (as it's not covered anywhere in the rules) but I'll start a thread in the mods forum and see what the other guys think.

Historically, on adverts, it was a valid reason to 'skip' an offer from someone who had bad feedback on their profile but it was never allowed to be based on the amount of posts they had.

tl;dr, I'll get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Steve - so if we use the feedback post in the adverts thread and see poor feedback on the poster up there are we in order to skip that post? Just wondering as we don't have the benefit of the feedback that applies to adverts and we're sort of working with the bodged solution of the feedback thread.

Steve - so if we use the feedback post in the adverts thread and see poor feedback on the poster up there are we in order to skip that post? Just wondering as we don't have the benefit of the feedback that applies to adverts and we're sort of working with the bodged solution of the feedback thread.
    For now, you should contact a mod first and clear it - all we can do is treat it on a case-by-case basis as it comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DunneMan4

Eh steve sorry but i'm not sure what u meant on my thread sometin about txt r alphabet r sumtin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

DunneMan4 wrote: »
    Eh steve sorry but i'm not sure what u meant on my thread sometin about txt r alphabet r sumtin

Your writing in text speak right there! Have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭DunneMan4

Ok i get it now thank you and sorry

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a sitewide rule on boards.ie that 'txt spk' is not to be used :).

Advertisement